Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Shotguns

Rem 870 Barrel and choke tube split

(1/4) > >>

Ram Ringer:
Has anyone ever had this happen? The barrel has about a 1/4" split starting at the muzzle. The Choke tube is split the whole length. The gun is not even a year old, but the choke has seen thousands of rounds put through it. It is my work gun, I am a Wildlife Biologist that uses the gun almost everyday. The choke tube is a full choke and is listed for steel and lead, but like I said it has seen thousands of rounds. If the tube gave out would that also crack the barrel?

Thanks

Galen

gsd:
I've never seen it happen...PM inbound.

SemperFiGuy:
Ram.......

You now have a Wall Hanger, at least temporarily.   It's in NO SHOOT condition right now.

If you love the gun, you can readily buy another choked barrel for it.

But........better have your favorite competent gunsmith look it over.   In case the action has taken any kind of hit from heavy loads, whatever.

Speculation from this far away would be fun, but it really takes a physical look at the damage to start the inquest as to what actually has gone wrong.    Could be lotsa things.

>>>>>Gunsmith<<<<<<<

sfg

Ram Ringer:
SFG, I got your PM thanks for the offer, The gun is actually owned by the USDA that I use at work, I have a call into Remington and since it is less than a year old I hope they will replace it. I am wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the choke tube. The tube was out of my old work 870 that I wore out, but never thought that it would wear out the tube especially since that barrel is still usable, but the choke probably takes more of the beating.

Thanks again.

NE Bull:
May I ask, what exactly are you shooting thru that thing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version