< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Basic Carbine course at DCPrecision was awesome!  (Read 726 times)

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Basic Carbine course at DCPrecision was awesome!
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »
I had planned to attend this course for about a week but my baby sitter fell through.  At the last minute, however, she was available.  Got a green light from the wife and we were a go.  First off, the facility.  Have yall  been to Nebraska Shooter's Range?  Holy Crap!!! That place is prone to cause testosterone spikes, and it leads to my knuckles bleeding when I walk!  What a great range.  If you get the chance, GO.

The course was taught by one David C. Petta, extraordinaire.  Yeah, he was a regular bad A$$ back in the day.  Oh, and the day was about a year ago as legend has it.  So, he knows his stuff and has been in the soup.  Qualified, to teach. For sure. 

The material was very applicable to our class.  There was only one guy there with limited experience, but he was a quick study and handled himself better than many I know with much more time behind the stock. 

So, though this was called a basic course, it covered some fairly advanced tactics and skills.  David proved to be a quality instructor.  He was calm and in control.  He definitely had the skills, knowledge and attitude that are required to be a quality instructor.

We started with some classroom teaching covering basic fundamentals and the equipment we were using.  Then, off to the range.  We covered equipment malfunctions, optical malfunctions, back-up sights, misfires, double feeds etc...  Also covered transitioning between carbine and sidearms in a tactical situation. 

Now, I have been shooting for a couple of decades and we covered some stuff I had never considered before.  I LOVE learning new stuff.  I also love reviewing fundamental tactical stuff.  This course was a great time.  We fired a lot of ammo, but not as much as I was prepared to.  I guess that is good if your in ammo dought mode.  After we were done, the range was opened up so we could fire all we wanted.  Unfortunately, I had other obligations so I was unable to stick around.  The weather was awesome, the facility was great, and the course was incredible.  I cant wait for the advanced class! 

To contact David, email him at dcprecisionllc@gmail.com  I believe he has a FB page by the same name.    If all else fails, PM me and I will get his contact info to you.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Re: Basic Carbine course at DCPrecision was awesome!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
Pix
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline R.Schoening

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »
Good course indeed!

Whether you are a new/newer shooter interested in learning the basics or are an experianced shooter wanting to brush up on the fundamentals...give Dave a shout, you won't be disappointed!

- Rob
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:54:54 PM by R.Schoening »

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »
Sounds like you had a great experience.  Curious to know, how long was the classroom & range time?

I had heard of the name before, but just didn't make the connection that this range was close to Lincoln.....we even lived down by that area years ago.  It's nice to see an alternative outdoor range such as this.  In the past I have been very impressed with 88 Tactical's range at Tekamah and their offering of classes...just not the distance.  Looking at their website, Nebraska Shooters appear to be doing things similar, only on a smaller scale.

http://nebraskashooters.com/about

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
DCPrecision Basic Carbine After Action Review

Friday 3-15-13

0800 Arrived at Nebraska Shooters range outside of Firth. I was greeted by David (DCPrecision LLC) and Justin (www.nebraskashooters.com) and they immediately made me feel like I was among friends. We geared up and assembled in the classroom. Were given hard copy handouts of some very helpful information and David gave a short power point demonstration on the plan was for the day. He covered marksmanship fundamentals, zero theory and ballistics. A few of the most valuable points were: “Know why.” Know the reason why you have the gadgets/gear on your weapon system that you do. “Start with a slick gun.” Don’t add a bunch of crap to your gun just to look cool, only add things that you know how to use and why. “Bone on bone.” Lock your arms out and use the strength of bone on bone to help manage the recoil.

0900 On the range. We zeroed our rifles at 25 yards from the prone position with three shot groups. David and his staff were helpful in making sure each student was satisfied with their zero. We covered speed reloads, tactical reloads and the press check. We shot standing and kneeling at 10 yards and 100 yards. Scanning and accessing the battlefield was stressed, especially when recovering from a kneeling position.

1000 We were then put through a drill where we had to shoot laying down on our side from under a low barricade. I had to work to get down low enough. This simulated shooting under a low barrier like a car. At first it was pretty challenging but after learning a few tricks, the position became more natural. We shot a steel target from the position at 100 yards.

1145 Short break for lunch.

1215 The pistols came into play as we spent a little time on transition drills from the rifle to the pistol. We then went through different malfunction drills where we set up our weapons with simulated malfunctions and had to figure out how to clear them.

1300 Dynamic accuracy drills were next. We were put under the stress of the timer and had to shoot fast AND accurate. We then worked on an Optics Malfunction drill we had to figure out how to accurately shoot without our sights. This was a challenge to say the least. David explained how the sights are nothing more than a point of reference and if you didn’t have your sights, the side of your gun could be a makeshift point of reference to shoot with. This can be used if your sights are out of commission or covered in mud. He showed us how to turn the weapon on its side and find a reference point by sighting down the hand guard.

1400 Final exercise. One at a time we went through a course of fire where we were tested on each skill that we had been shown throughout the day. At the buzzer, we had to discriminate between threat and innocent targets and fire at close range, kneel and shoot at 100 yards, move then shoot under the low barricade at 100 yards, reload when you have to, move then fire at threat targets at close range and end with firing at a very small Easter Egg full of Tannerite. The explosion signified the drill was over (a pleasant assortment of multi-colored Easter eggs were available).

1530 Class picture. Debrief in the classroom. I was awarded a certificate and a DCPrecision patch which I am proud to have.

I learned many tools to put in my tool box. I don’t have the time or space to write about everything but the class was well worth it. Especially with the instructors and the range being just a quick drive from Lincoln. Being fairly new to the AR-15 weapon system this class was a great place to start. I was taught fundamentals and learned capabilities and limitations of my rifle. I was not stressed at any time and felt valued by the instructors. It was a very safe, friendly and healthy learning environment. I’m looking forward to the next class from DCPrecision. To find out about further classes email David at dcprecisionllc@gmail.com or contact Justin at www.nebraskashooters.com.

For more training AARs visit us as www.avoidthefight.com