< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ammunition outages  (Read 7368 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Ammunition outages
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
There's ballistic gel tests of cut shells.  It is NOT favorable towards cut shells.

Indeed, but I still would not want to be the intended target of one.  And, considering how the #8  shot spreads out  at 25 yds, the damage of a cut shell, by comparison, appears to be much greater.

Here is the 1 0zz slug gel test.  I definitely would NOT want to be hit by it!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:44:42 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
I only watched the second video..pretty neat Grey. I cut one of those slugs open probably close to 20 years ago (think I still have it too), and was kind of surprised to find a good portion of the bottom side to be open/hollow. Even more surprised that it penetrated that 4x4 like that.
Good Video.

Offline equinox137

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
Well, I hope Cabelas, Bass Pro, et al....are on these ammo manufacturers. I cant speak for everyone, but personally, I refuse to buy anything from these places until they start stocking ammo again.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way and that's got to be hurting their bottom line.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:11:25 PM by equinox137 »

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
Well, I hope Cabelas, Bass Pro, et al....are on these ammo manufacturers. I cant speak for everyone, but personally, I refuse to buy anything from these places until they start stocking ammo again.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way and that's got to be hurting their bottom line.
Why would you do that?  I have no doubt that Cabela's, Bass Pro, and anywhere else would stock the ammo if they had it.  It's obvious even just from the posts on this board that as soon as any comes in it gets snapped up in a matter of hours.  Unless you have some type of information that suggests the big retailers are holding things back for some reason (and I can't imagine why they would do that), I don't see why boycotting them will do anything at all.  These guys are in the business of selling stuff.  They can't sell it if they don't have it to put on the shelves.

It seems to me, things might actually be getting better.  A guy pointed out to me that Cabela's is now letting you order ammo on line again.  For a while it was "in store only" and obviously nothing was left in the stores.  I didn't see any much 9mm or .223, but they seemed to have at least some on line availability for common calibers.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
Pretty sure they are not stocking it because they can't get it. And what they do get flies off the shelf in a matter of minutes.

Offline lightem up

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
You can find 223 ammo at lucky gunner.com no hornady or black hills but they have federal,lake city, PMC in stock. Some of the federal is quality ammo the lake city is bulk250 to 500 rounds green tip m855 all brass is annealed, the PMC I'm not sure about never tried it(heard bad things). Prices are reasonable to kind of high, the lake city is about a buck a shot the federal about 1.50 to1.75 a shot. ( the lake city may be 5.56)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:06 PM »
I've been trying a couple GunBroker.com  auctions on stuff I  need or want.  I get outbid when my maximum is the previously normal price.   

However, today I found that my bid on 2 8rd Nano mags won!   When I called the seller he said he had one more, "did I want it?".   "How  much?", I  asked.  "$35"   "Sure!"    Beretta is advertising them on their web site at $38 each, but they are never in stock.  My price for 3 was $37.67 each.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 12:12:47 AM »

I can speak from experience of putting it on Cabela's shelves that we get it. It's sporadic at best but if you aren't there early in the day then there is a good chance it will be gone. There are limits on how much you can buy, this way the prices don't get jacked up. With supply scarce and demand high one way to keep prices low is to limit quantities per person, otherwise you have to raise prices substantially to keep the same people from buying up the whole shelf.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »
I snagged a gun I really do not need on Gun Broker.  I placed a minimum bid and forgot all about it, till I won, and they emailed me.   My wife was thrilled!  lol  Should be here in a week or so. 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:25 AM »
I snagged a gun

What caught your fancy?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »

There's ballistic gel tests of cut shells.  It is NOT favorable towards cut shells.

I'll betcha they beat the tar outa #8 birdshot (He did specify "improvised", did he not? 

Were I to have to hunt Bambi  for a living (failure = starvation), and I have a 12 gauge dove load and a 9mm pistol ...... I'll get my pocket knife out.  I can get to 25 yards.

Cabela's will sell you what they can make money on, without pissing you off as a future customer (as opposed to  Cheaper Than Dirt $99 P-Mags)  ......  if  you feel a need to be pissed, be pissed at yourself, for not laying in a supply ahead of time, or not learning to handload*, or diversify your caliber needs .... OR, be pissed the at the Fed.gov for buying up ammo manufactureint capacity by making purchase orders of SEVERAL BILLION ROUNDS AT A TIME, far in excess of the immediate requirements ........ IME, THAT is at the very bottom of the list of stuff I am pissed a the the Fed.gov for.......

*If you do not handload, and wish to learn, I am willing to mentor ...... you buy the equipment and components, and I am more than willing to come and play "coach".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:07:23 AM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
hunt Bambi  for a living (failure = starvation),

When I was teaching at Clarks HS I was the second highest paid teacher in the school, except for the wrestling coach who'd been there a dozen years and married into the community.  I took home $700 a month.  That was after I quite my 2nd job as deputy marshal because the marshal was too dangerous to be around when he had a gun in his possession.    During   the Arab oil embargo propane was costing $600/month, leaving no room for food, barely enough  for electricity and gas. etc...   I lived out in the country five miles from Clarks and I took my shotgun  and went hunting once or twice a week for meat: pheasant, rabbits, squirrels.  I took the shotgun and not the .22 because I didn't want to come home and face the wife and kids with an excuse instead of meat. 

In today's economic climate there may be many who think they will shoot to eat, but will bypass much available food:  worms, bait fish, dull  looking insects, rodents, any kind of bird, favoring instead pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, doves and deer.  Four years ago I purchased two pneumatic air rifles, the manually pumping and break barrel kind, along with several thousand rounds of pellets for each.  The rifles are scoped and accurately group shots in a 1/2" bull at 30 yards.  I can take a lot of really small game.  A rat or mouse may not have much  meat but a dozen of them will have enough.  Nightcrawlers are 78% protein and when they are gutted and  boiled in several changes of water the slime coat goes away and the worm is cooked. Deep  fat fry them afterwards and salt them and they taste like shoe string potato chips.

When I taught at York College the biology prof and I offered to get fish for the faculty fish fry.  We went to Sack's Lake.  The biggest fish there were crappie and bluegill, six inches long at the most.  They were so hungry we could toss in gold hooks without bait and they bite them.  We just yanked them out of the water and onto the bank behind us.  Many times the hook fell out and it went immediately back into the water.  After 30 minutes we had 200 fish.  Each one, when filleted, would give from one teaspoon to one tablespoon of meat per side.  400 spoonfuls of meat made good eating for 25 faculty members.  It was a great fry.  But, in times of stress I would use a seine instead of a hook and line, and I'd set it at one place  in a creek or stream and go back a hundred or more feet and splash my way slowly toward the net.

Pond scum soup is delicious.  Tastes like split pea soup.  Scoop some green stuff off the top  of a pond, with water, and boil it down to 1/3rd.   Add water and boil down a couple more times. On the third time the final boil down gives you the soup.   You can toss in some previously cooked fish or rodent or pheasant during the final boil.  That soup will let you gain weight.

Food is food.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:59:10 AM by GreyGeek »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
When I was teaching at Clarks HS I was the second highest paid teacher in the school, except for the wrestling coach who'd been they a dozen years and married into the community.  I took home $700 a month.  That was after I quite my 2nd job as deputy marshal because the marshal was too dangerous to be around when he had a gun in his possession.    During   the Arab oil embargo propane was costing $600/month, leaving no room for food, barely enough  for electricity and gas. etc...   I lived out in the country five miles from Clarks and I took my shotgun  and went hunting once or twice a week for meat: pheasant, rabbits, squirrels.  I took the shotgun and not the .22 because I didn't want to come home and face the wife and kids with an excuse instead of meat. 

In today's economic climate there may be many who think they will shoot to eat, but will bypass much available food:  worms, bait fish, dull  looking insects, rodents, any kind of bird, favoring instead pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, doves and deer.  Four years ago I purchased two pneumatic air rifles, the manually pumping and break barrel kind, along with several thousand rounds of pellets for each.  The rifles are scoped and accurately group shots in a 1/2" bull at 30 yards.  I can take a lot of really small game.  A rat or mouse may not have much  meat but a dozen of them will have enough.  Nightcrawlers are 78% protein and when they are gutted and  boiled in several changes of water the slime coat goes away and the worm is cooked. Deep  fat fry them afterwards and salt them and they taste like shoe string potato chips.

When I taught at York College the biology prof and I offered to get fish for the faculty fish fry.  We went to Sack's Lake.  The biggest fish there were crappie and bluegill, six inches long at the most.  They were so hungry we could toss in gold hooks without bait and they bite them.  We just yanked them out of the water and onto the bank behind us.  Many times the hook fell out and it went immediately back into the water.  After 30 minutes we had 200 fish.  Each one, when filleted, would give from one teaspoon to one tablespoon of meat per side.  400 spoonfuls of meat made good eating for 25 faculty members.  It was a great fry.  But, in times of stress I would use a seine instead of a hook and line, and I'd set it at one place  in a creek or stream and go back a hundred or more feet and splash my way slowly toward the net.

Pond scum soup is delicious.  Tastes like split pea soup.  Scoop some green stuff off the top  of a pond, with water, and boil it down to 1/3rd.   Add water and boil down a couple more times. On the third time the final boil down gives you the soup.   You can toss in some previously cooked fish or rodent or pheasant during the final boil.  That soup will let you gain weight.

Food is food.

... and this is why over 50% of the US population wont survive a SHTF event.  They have absolutely no clue on how to survive without grocery stores and mini-marts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:44:50 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:18 PM »
RE: Hunting to eat....

I already do that- We eat far more venison than beef, and deer are the only game animal that is actually cheaper* to hunt than buying the alternative, in the present economy.

In a SHTF situation, that will not work: too many people after too few deer. 

When times get really hard, edible anything will be darn scarce.

*You need to hunt locally, your kids need to fill their $6/2 deer tags, and you have to DIY the preocessing.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Markk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
I went to Cabela's yesterday afternoon and while there talked to a worker at the stand where binoculars and spotting scopes are sold and he told me they get ammo 2 -3 times a week and it is stocked at night. Every morning there are 20 people at the door when they open, Friday morning there was about 100 people, he said the 9 mm, .40 SW and other popular rounds last only minutes. I happened to be at GU on Tuesday afternoon at the check out when they stocked .45 cal and .40 SW, Remington UMC 250 count boxes, they found several boxes missing 4 or more shells. I have never bought the Remington .40 before and was a little surprised at the $136.00 price as the WWB was $18.99 a box.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »
edible anything will be darn scarce.
or rejected by those cultured on fast food.

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
I'm finding if you can get to Cabela's by 10 a.m. they usually have a few calibers of ammo on hand. It's usually gone by 1 though.

I was looking for a holster a couple of days ago and got to talking with one of the salesmen. After a few minutes he asked if I was looking for any ammo. I said .223, .357 Mag and .45 ACP. He said he had a case of FMJ 9mm in the back and if I wanted some he was going to put it out soon. My daughter shoots a 9mm so I hung out and picked up a couple of boxes for her. It pays to socialize a little with some of those guys.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
I'm finding if you can get to Cabela's by 10 a.m. they usually have a few calibers of ammo on hand. It's usually gone by 1 though.

I was looking for a holster a couple of days ago and got to talking with one of the salesmen. After a few minutes he asked if I was looking for any ammo. I said .223, .357 Mag and .45 ACP. He said he had a case of FMJ 9mm in the back and if I wanted some he was going to put it out soon. My daughter shoots a 9mm so I hung out and picked up a couple of boxes for her. It pays to socialize a little with some of those guys.
I've found the gun counter guys to be a pretty unsociable bunch out there.  I'm sure it has to do with the sheer volume of people they deal with every day.  Maybe if I catch 'em on a slow day....

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
I've found the gun counter guys to be a pretty unsociable bunch out there.  I'm sure it has to do with the sheer volume of people they deal with every day.  Maybe if I catch 'em on a slow day....

Unfortunately this true, but almost understandable :(

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
My guns are not as much for taking game, but for keeping what I catch. It should take less ammo for keeping food than getting food.

I am blessed to live on the Gulf Coast where if you understand the food chain, you can catch bait, and use it to catch bait, and use it to catch bait which is my normal method of fishing for large fish. A few years ago I caught a 98 lb Cobia which we ate all summer. I cooked my last batch of red snapper last weekend that was caught last June. This time of year would be the hardest as the only thing biting is Sheephead, but they also are really good table fare if you know where they are and how to catch them.

Someone said 50% would die, it is more like 60%, and they remaining 40 will be willing to do anything to survive.