< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun cleaning - Froglube vs Seal-1  (Read 7889 times)

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
Gun cleaning - Froglube vs Seal-1
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
I'm wondering who here may have tried either of these products?  What are your experiences/thoughts on either of these? 

I bit on the marketing hype and just ordered a 4oz. paste tub of Froglube via Amazon.   This was after I viewed the websites & several reviews & watched youtube videos for Froglube and Seal-1.   Both are CLP & claim to be bio-based/non-toxic products and both are applied in the same fashion by their recommendation of using heat in the application.  Both of these are claimed to be one-stop cleaning/lubricants/protectants that work better over time with repeated use.   

http://www.froglube.com/FL13/FAQ.htm

http://www.seal1.net/

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:02:05 PM by zofoman »
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gun cleaning - Froglube vs Seal-1
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »
I bought some Froglube (both types) about a year ago.  VERY nice cleaning results and pleasant smell. QUITE IMPRESSIVE.   Down side as to why I will not use again....fast forward 6 months and pull 1911 and Sig 220 that I used it on....working the action on both presented a sluggish/gummy feeling.  Did this numerous times and still same result.  No physical gumming noted, but personally concerned about performance on use.  One thing is maybe it "loosens" up upon the rapid cycling and heat of firing.  That being said, stripped'em down and went back to old faithful Militec.   

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

My favorite gun oil is Lucas gun oil. Not a cleaner.
 Works good in carry guns. Stays where you put it and
 doesn't collect dust and lint.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
In one weekend, I purchased NRA cleaning oil kit of three products, cleaner, oil and grease. 

The same weekend, I purchased a unique knife at a gun show.   Having both items on my desk, the urge came over me to treat the new knife with the NRA products. 

The next day when I went to look at my knife, I was shocked to see the polymer of the knife failed, and the knife had exploded from the internal pressure of the knife springs.

I had also oiled my Glock with the same products, and I have quit using the NRA oil kit, while I look at my Glock daily, to look for signs of plastics failing.

I have a tin hat theory.  What if the gun grabbers are inventing all this new frog oils type products, to get our guns, one way or the other? 

I have decided to stay with the tried and true oils I have been using for 50 years.   

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
For lube I'm a fan of Mobil 1.  One quart will last me a long time.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
I'm not a big fan of 3 in 1 products. I like to clean my guns, get them spotless, which also gives me the opportunity to inspect them closely. I follow that up with protection / lubrication. That said, I do keep a can of Break Free with CLP in the range box real time lube at the range if needed. I think the most important things are to wipe them down and run a lubed bore snake down them before leaving the range. Clean and lube them well when you get home, and store them in a humidity controlled location. My gun safe has a heater bar in it as well as the Remington rechargeable drier. Don't ever lock up a cold gun in a foam lined gun case - you are just begging for rust problems, even if it is just overnight at deer camp or whatever.

Hoppes #9 and FP-10 are my go-to products.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
My wife and I are new gun owners and I have relied on the knowledge of members in this forum and ALOT on youtube. Personally I am not a fan of sootch on youtube, some of his attitudes on carrying a weapon scare me.  But when I was looking for a clp/lube he sold me on froglube.

I followed all recommendations, cleaned our guns with 100% alchohol on metal only, and treated 2 times within 2 weeks under a heat gun before firing a shot outta them. I have not had an issue with either gun, in fact both guns were less than 2 weeks old and within the first week after treatment with Froglube each gun loosened up nicely on its own.

I love Froglube! smells good , cleans easily and I can use my hands as its bio degradable, and yes I have tasted it and it has a mildy minty aftertaste. I almost used ballistol but the smell was a big reason i looked somewhere else.

Some of the plate tests on youtube are impressive and basically froblube and breakfree seem very affective and most of the products have so many chemicals that are not safe for kids or family, me having 6 kids was another reason Froglube is my choice.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of CLP type products.  In my experience, they're a compromise and tend to do maybe one of the three things ok but none of them exceptionally.  I prefer a dedicated solvent for cleaning and a dedicated oil for lubrication & rust prevention.  I have no experience with Frog Lube, though.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
for a CLP, product I have heard good reviews of this
http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/retail-product-weapon-shield.html

I have been satisfied with Mobil 1 0-20 wt for a lube, and use a variety of cleaners; Hoppes#9, and #9 Copper Solvent, Kroil, Barnes CR10(very aggresive copper remover).
Quite a few on the net as well as a coworker, raving about the foaming bore cleaners (namely wipe-out). I had been looking for wipe-out with no luck of finding any so I gave the Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner a try. Only used the foaming cleaner twice so far,once on a 20" SS RRA Bull Barrel I bought used for a upper build, and a R15 in .204, I`m pretty impressed with the stuff, and could not see any signs of copper afterwards, even with the CR10 (no blue on patches).
Please update this post with your feelings about how the Frog Lube works.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
I just bought some Froglube paste and applied to it to a stainless new Ruger Bearcat I purchased last week.  I worked it in really well, in the bore and cylinder chambers, and externally, prior to first shooting.

I do have to say, after about 250 rounds of .22 LR and .22 short, I've never had a revolver clean up so easily.  I thought that was a pretty good test because .22s shoot pretty dirty.  The black residue just wiped off the face of the cylinder and inside the frame by the barrel / cylinder gap.  Bore and chambers also were shiny clean after just a couple patches.

I'm going to use it on my other stainless revolvers.  I like clean guns but hate scrubbing off the fouling on the front of cylinders.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 01:55:53 AM »
I just use high temp bearing grease from the auto parts store for most of my firearms for lubrication.  I have had no problems, its cheap, and a can of it lasts a long time.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »
I just use high temp bearing grease from the auto parts store for most of my firearms for lubrication.  I have had no problems, its cheap, and a can of it lasts a long time.

Same, I keep everything on my firearms dry except the wear/bearing surfaces.  For those I use Super Lube, which is just a high end wheel bearing grease with PTFE. 
The main benefit of doing it this way is that the lubrication stays exactly where you put it and keeps lubricating the critical surfaces while the parts are moving.  Thinner oils move around a lot and generally don't lubricate well (but do a better job of preventing rust on non-wear surfaces). 
The other benefit is that it makes for a cleaner working gun.  The dirt/powder residue/dust don't stick to the dry surfaces of the firearm that don't have excess oil or other lubrication.  This leads to a decrease in malfunctions. 

warmboots

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Hi, what oils do you use? Thank you!   :)

warmboots

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
I know some one that uses mineral oil! I don't!

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
Lots of good comments and feedback guys.  In the past, I have always relied on Hoppes products for solvents and lubricants and that has always served me well.   But, with technology ever changing, I thought I'd give this all-in-one a try and see what gives.     

I received my order today and I took one whiff of it and it smells "minty" just like some of the "bore butter" stuff I have used in my black powder rifles.   My plan is for later tonight to make an application to my new SR22 pistol and hit the range this weekend.   Will let you know what my impression is thereafter.

Package label states:  Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business and product is made in USA....it doesn't get any better than that.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »
Lots of good comments and feedback guys.  In the past, I have always relied on Hoppes products for solvents and lubricants and that has always served me well.   But, with technology ever changing, I thought I'd give this all-in-one a try and see what gives.     

I received my order today and I took one whiff of it and it smells "minty" just like some of the "bore butter" stuff I have used in my black powder rifles.   My plan is for later tonight to make an application to my new SR22 pistol and hit the range this weekend.   Will let you know what my impression is thereafter.

Package label states:  Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business and product is made in USA....it doesn't get any better than that.

they recommend treating it twice,...clean the gun with alcohol (%100 is what I use) then heat and treat it twice, I did mine within 2 days apart but the heat part is interesting as after you have cleaned and lubed it you wipe off all excess but when you heat it whether with a heat gun or hairdryer or shooting it at the range.  the lube has penetrated the gun and is really slick on all the wearing surfaces with heat.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
I have recently started using FireClean.  So far, so good. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan