< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Who would be interested in a PRS-style match?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Who would be interested in a PRS-style match?
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
Want to see if there is any real interest before I pester the land owner about this. There is another site on public land that I could use, but I can't drive on there so setting up steel would be a pain. Anywho...

Who would be interested in a PRS style match this fall in the York area? It would be small and friendly, I'm thinking 12 shooters max. There would be a small entry fee that would be donated to the NFOA.

Targets would be steel out to 900 yards, but most would be under 600, and a couple stages would only be 100. There would probably be some pistol integrated into a couple of the stages, but does not count towards points.

This would be a friendly match: spotting/calling/coaching would be allowed on most stages, you could share equipment on all stages, LRFs would be allowed. Youth shooters would be allowed, provided a parent is accompanying them. We would follow PRS rules for safety.

It would be a fun and challenging match, but nothing overly difficult.

If you would be interested, leave a comment.

Feel free to ask any questions, but remember that this is hypothetical at this point, so don't be too specific :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:56:17 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Who would be interested in a PRS-style match?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »
I'm interested.  I'm guessing holding it on public land could be problematic because you don't have control of the area, but if it's on private land I say go for it.  This will be a good kick in the pants to force me to get my dope out to some long distances.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
I think I would interested, but I don't know what it is. I found this

http://precisionrifleseries.com/about

but it doesn't describe the principles of the match.

How about a short description of what this is for we that are
un-educated.  ;D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »
PRS uses a points based system where you get points from hits. Most targets are worth 1 point. Most stages will have multiple positions and multiple targets. You usually have to go in order, but you can skip a target or position to save time. You usually can not go back and make it up. Most stages are KD. There is usually a set round count per position and target, but some are just total round counts for the stage.

There are max times that are usually pretty challenging. You don't get anything for finishing early. There is normally one stage that is timed, but the time is a tiebreaker only.

The targets are all hit/miss, mostly steel. Alot of improvised shooting and changing positions in a stage.

PRS is a blast even if you don't do that well (I should know). I have a decent idea of how I would set up the stages and you will see some very interesting and fun stuff. This would be a friendly match, shooters can help and coach each other, hell, you could have multiple shooters on one rifle if you wanted :)

One thing about PRS, there are no "standard" stages or real limits to what you will see/shoot. Part of the fun is going in blind and adapting. Expect KD and UKD, alot of improvised positions, 0.5-3 MOA targets, and various craziness.

Edited for clarity, I originally wrote this on my phone.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:00:56 AM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »
Hope that answered your questions, let me know if you want any other info.

Here is a video from MRMBC '12. This is a real PRS match, to kinda give you a visual.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
Damn, I'd need to put Julie on retainer.  :o  My back hurts allready.

Looks to be a whole lot of fun, but not "old man" friendly. My un-educated questions would be.....

Is the match shot with just 1 rifle, or can you use more than 1, i.e. an AR type for the closer distances and a long range rifle of some sort? Retention requirement for side arms? as I see mine would fall out at the 1st shooting location.

Total round count? For those of us not reloading yet, availability and price becomes an issue.

How much running is involved? And I see competitors with lots of gear on and backpacks.

In the field CPR class imediately following.  ;)
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
What calibers are used for this? I don't have any long range rifles per se. Have an AR, M1 Garand, and my 30.06 hunting rifles. (Plus bad kness, back, arms, hands, etc  ;D :o )

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
First, this is all still very hypothetical, as I am still just gauging interest at this point. Keep in mind that that video is from a **real** PRS match, we would only be PRS styled at this point, so I would be able to bend the rules (i.e. with spotting or sharing equipment), and nothing will be of the difficultly level that you saw in that vid.

Is the match shot with just 1 rifle, or can you use more than 1, i.e. an AR type for the closer distances and a long range rifle of some sort?

This would be a solid NO. You will have to stick with one rifle the whole way. This is intended to be a "one man and his rifle" sort of thing. You will have to be able to carry all your equipment between stages. On any particular stage, you will have to carry all of the equipment you will use on that stage. You are normally not allowed to pre-place weapons, magazines, or any other gear. The distance between stages would be very manageable, probably only about a 3/4 of a mile total between 6 stages. Water would be provided, so you won't have to hump that.

Retention requirement for side arms? as I see mine would fall out at the 1st shooting location.

Normally, yes, you must have at least level 2 retention, and you would be required to carry your sidearm through all stages.

However, I can modify the rules for those who do not have solid retention, you would just have to lock and clear before you could move on in the stage. You would only be required to carry your sidearm on stages with pistol targets. For youth shooters or others who are not comfortable with pistols, we would work around this.

Total round count? For those of us not reloading yet, availability and price becomes an issue.
Right now, I am looking at/thinking about 80 rifle and 30 pistol, but you would not use all except in a worst case scenario.

You would be able to police up brass after everyone is done with a stage, I would suggest marking your brass for easy identification.

How much running is involved? And I see competitors with lots of gear on and backpacks.

For what I have in mind right now, there would only be a couple of stages with any running, and it would not be very far, probably 50 yards at the longest. After I set up, and I go through and prove the course and figure out minimum times, I will not be at a full sprint.

On the actual stage, you would only be required to carry what you will use on that particular stage. There will be more than one stage where all you should need is your rifle, and you can ground the rest of your gear while you are shooting. I would suggest *being able* to carry at least 20 rounds (in mags or loose for single feeding), a LRF or calculator for MRF, and a rear bag, pistol, and one spare pistol magazine, at minimum.

Again, alot of this is outside of normal PRS rules, but that is why this would be a PRS **styled** match :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:26:16 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
What calibers are used for this? I don't have any long range rifles per se. Have an AR, M1 Garand, and my 30.06 hunting rifles. (Plus bad kness, back, arms, hands, etc  ;D :o )
I'm glad someone asked.

First, an explanation of how the stages are run by the match admins. While you are shooting there are 3 different ROs working:
Safety: This is what I will be doing. I'll be at the firing point and running with you and whatnot, making sure you are safe and that you are following the stage correctly. There are some little idiosyncrocies with the safety aspects of matches like this (i.e. if someone forgets to dial for a new target, they could end up sending a round over the horizon), so this is a very labor intensive part of the whole thing.

Caller: Watching and listening for hits. On some stages, you will need to tell him which target you are going for so he knows which target to watch. This is especially true if it is windy and impacts are hard to hear.

Scorekeeper:Writing down your hits. Until you initial on the score sheet after the stage is done, you may contest your score if you think there was a mistake, but the ROs have the final say. Some targets are worth more than others, so the Caller will say "Impact Alpha" indicating the target hit so that the scorekeeper knows how many points to give.

Caliber Selection: The majority of targets are static and reactive steel. Hits will be called by sight and sound, but if the Caller could not see or hear your hit, it is not counted. I suggest a balance between performance and terminal energy. Max caliber will be 338.

I witnessed a bolt action .223 take 3rd place recently. Don't fret about caliber.

Most common is still .308, but .223 still sees some action, and 260 and 6.5 are quite popular among the pros, but they also have sponsors who can pay for a new barrel every year :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:24:50 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
Interested
KD0LKT

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
I think this sounds like a lot of fun, and I've never shot anything past 600 yards so I'd suck but I'd be interested anyway.  (And people can laugh at my misses.) 

Plus, it'll give me a reason to actually take my rifle out and SHOOT it.  (I currently don't do it enough.  Or at all, other than our Multigun matches, which are NOT the same type of shooting.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
im interested, but i would get smoked. ive never reached out beyond 200m or so
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
im interested, but i would get smoked. ive never reached out beyond 200m or so

I only have a 16" barrel and no optics.  Iron sights beyond 100 yards may not exactly make me competitive. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 07:17:10 AM »
This is a tentative "go." Will have more details, a date, and registration will be open by the end of May.

If you are interested in shooting in the match, stay tuned. There will be a limited number of slots.

If you are interested in ROing, donating prizes, or otherwise helping out, email me john@mwts-training.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
I may be interested in shooting this, I may also be able to volunteer some time to help.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »
Depending on the date I may be able to help RO.  I'm not a USPSA RO but I am NRA.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
Depending on the date I may be able to help RO.  I'm not a USPSA RO but I am NRA.

How are you gonna RO when you're in the match? :P

Just a heads up, in accordance with PRS rules, you cannot compete if you we're involved in match setup. Part of PRS is going in blind. Given the limited competing audience that this match has, I would rather not loose any shooters to match admin spots.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »
I wasn't aware of that - I figured RO's would also be able to shoot. 

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
No worries.

You would have a major advantage over others if you were involved in match set-up, and there is some potential moral implications of having a competitor involved in scoring (remember, it is steel, not paper). Would like to nip that potential issue in the butt before it has a chance to grow. Hence why PRS made it a rule.

Anyone who does help RO is welcome to prove the stages with me, but like I said, I would rather not loose any potential shooters to RO spots.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:03:52 PM by wallace11bravo »