< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Stackon 10gun 'safe' thing  (Read 2852 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Stackon 10gun 'safe' thing
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
So, last year for black friday and stuff, Menards had the stackon 10gun gunsafe thing on sale from $99 -> $69.  Got a 'sorry slip' / rain check thing for it.... and they finally had some in stock so grabbed it at the sale price.

It's cheap, whatever.. it's a place to store the guns so they're protected and can keep kid away etc...

Anyhoo for being a gun 'safe', why does the side of the cardboard box it's in have the word 'fragile' on it ? That's not that encouraging for a 'safe' hehehehehe.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Stackon 10gun 'safe' thing
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:15:22 AM »
Technically they are not "safes" per se, they are simply cabinets. That being said they offer a small handgun cabinet that I am debating for powder/primer storage.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
Separate powder and primer storage please.  Keeping them close together like that, let alone in a small container... just aint wise.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Seeing as how the primers are in a separate container already I do not see the issue.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Seeing as how the primers are in a separate container already I do not see the issue

Do you know now they make the best Firecrackers ?

The Issue is to add Layers of protection between them.
the More layers the better.

Other wise if they are Packed tightly together .......you can end up with....BANG!

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
There are those that store them together, those that store them in fireproof safes, those that store them right above/below each other, those that store primers in glass gars, those that store things in sealed metal containers, those that store/reload near a water heater, etc.

I personally don't want them stored in proximity of each other, nor in any form of airtight anything.  If something goes wrong, i'd much rather have 3 feet of horizontal separation between the two.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
Prudent, suggests separation of all handgun and rifle compounds, as much as possible.   I own 12 or more lockable storage units.  Some stack on style, some UL rated jewelry store safes.   I personally store very little ammo and firearms together.  I have an ammo safe, where the outer wall is 1" thick tool resistant steel, on all 6 sides.   I store no guns in this safe.  Likewise, my main gun safe, again, UL listed, has no ammo in it.

Can you store it all in one place?  Sure, but which is better?

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
There are those that store them together, those that store them in fireproof safes, those that store them right above/below each other, those that store primers in glass gars, those that store things in sealed metal containers, those that store/reload near a water heater, etc.

I personally don't want them stored in proximity of each other, nor in any form of airtight anything.  If something goes wrong, i'd much rather have 3 feet of horizontal separation between the two.

And then those of us that store primers on a wood shelf right above all the powder...