General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Why the paperless office is a myth!

<< < (2/2)

bkoenig:
I prefer real books, but I travel a lot for work and it's a heck of a lot easier to stuff a kindle in my bag than lug around a 700 page novel.

Dan W:
My wife can read a novel a day...after the bookcases filled up the basement, I bought her a Nook.

Phantom:
I'll believe it when i see it on Paper.

GreyGeek:

--- Quote from: Dan W on March 26, 2013, 12:13:30 PM ---My wife can read a novel a day..
--- End quote ---

I can believe that.  Most people read at less than 300 words per minute because they read one word at a time and they "think" the word, i.e., read it to themselves.   The key to speed reading is
1) stop reading one word at a time while thinking the word.   One can see a word and understand it without mentally saying it to  yourself in your mind.
2) Look at two, then three, then four words at a time without mentally saying each word. Build up  until you can see and understand a line at a time without mentally saying any word in your mind yet understand what you read.
3) began reading two lines at a time, then three, then four.  Eventually you can  glance and read the entire page at one time.

Admittedly, not all people can do this, but somewhere along the way they will build their speed to over 1,000 words per minute, or more.  A typical page may contain around 600 or 700 words.  Reading at 1,000 words per minute is reading a page per minute.  A 300 page novel would take 300 minutes, which 5 hours.  Not even half a day.

EDIT: There are other methods as well.  One is where the reader scans the page for words which are obviously subjects, verbs and objects and ignores the fillers, connectors and other trash  words that don't really carry content.   Sometimes, however, "and"'s, "if"s or "but"s are missed and wrong interpretations are taken.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version