< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Fix Broken Term Limit Law  (Read 2869 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Fix Broken Term Limit Law
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
As a lifelong Nebraska resident it seemed to me that our state government got better after the term limit law went into effect and some of the political hacks like Ernie Chambers were retired.  But now I see they're coming back, due to the law having been made incomplete.  Those of us who care about our children's future should try to fix this.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Fix Broken Term Limit Law
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »
I'm always skeptical of people who want to keep others from choosing the representatives they want.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
This is a double edged sword.  It may get rid of some representatives that are not friendly to the 2A, but term limits have also removed at least one state senator from office that was friendly to our cause.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
I'm always skeptical of people who want to keep others from choosing the representatives they want.
As the citizenry becomes less educated/ informed...perhaps we need measures such as this? People aren't fulfilling their duty to be informed or vote. Where does that leave us until they're awakened? It sure feels like with the same people who have the best name recognition, and no more.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
So why do we term limit the president? Because it is not wise to let too much power reside in one branch of government for extended lengths of time

“Nothing so strongly impels a man to regard the interest of his constituents, as the certainty of returning to the general mass of the people, from whence he was taken, where he must participate in their burdens,” George Mason posited. 

My reason for fixing them in office for a term of years, rather than for life, was that they might have an idea that they were at a certain period to return into the mass of the people and become the governed instead of the governors which might still keep alive that regard to the public good that otherwise they might perhaps be induced by their independence to forget.~Thomas Jefferson

No political truth is certainly of greater intrinsic value or is stamped with the authority of more enlightened patrons of liberty than that … the accumulation of all powers legislative, executive and judiciary in the same hands, whether of one, a few or many, and whether hereditary, self appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny~ James Madison

After a time, civil servants tend to become no longer servants and no longer civil.~Winston Churchill

As you can see the idea of term limits is not a new one, but rather has been with us since the Republic was formed
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
Good points, Dan.  I think all elected positions should be subject to term limts.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »
They should also have salary caps  and any pay or benefits increases have to be by a vote of the people.
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

I held that position myself when term limits were first proposed.  But after the voters OKed the law and they went into effect our state government did get better.  Political hacks can be hard to get rid of for a few reasons my friend, and professional politicians tend to see themselves as being of the government rather than of the people.  If it hadn't been for term limits, we might not have gotten shall-issue concealed carry in Nebraska, or at least there would be more onerous restrictions on it, and cities like Omaha would likely be able to infringe on the right.

Since you support democratic action, how about a petition drive to get a measure on the ballot to expand our term limit law so it says two terms is the limit for life?

If I remember right, the term limit law was originally informally named after Ernie Chambers; a proposal to expand it should also bear his name.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
Another thing to consider- incumbents have a huge advantage in name recognition.  This makes it easy to cruise along for years without a serious challenge.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:57:34 PM by bkoenig »

Offline monkeyboy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
Frankly,I'd be happy if these effing clowns had to live under the same laws they impose on the rest of us!

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
The thing I'm concerned about is the power of the committees.  Why bother with electing reps from each district if what will or will not be voted upon seems to be at the discretion of select committee members? And who determines the committee make-up? Maybe what I need is a lesson on how our unicameral works, but I don't understand how Chambers goes straight to one of the most important committees when he is essentially a "freshman" senator once again?  Any legal eagles out there with a quick, easily understood answer?

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
In principle, I don' t agree with term limits.  That said, Ernie Chambers is the poster child for why they can be effective.  What's unfortunate about his return to the Unicameral is the fact that those who elect him are the ones who suffer most by his presence in Lincoln.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
The thing I'm concerned about is the power of the committees.  Why bother with electing reps from each district if what will or will not be voted upon seems to be at the discretion of select committee members? And who determines the committee make-up? Maybe what I need is a lesson on how our unicameral works, but I don't understand how Chambers goes straight to one of the most important committees when he is essentially a "freshman" senator once again?  Any legal eagles out there with a quick, easily understood answer?

That's my concern as well.  One Senator should not be able to dictate the agenda of the Legislature.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
I don't understand how Chambers goes straight to one of the most important committees when he is essentially a "freshman" senator once again?

Historically, the time you served still adds up to seniority.  Example when Ashford "retired" the first time, then came back roughly ten years later....his time in service counted...and this was before the term limit vote.  In short, the Unicameral used the same concept with "The Cobra". 

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:23:14 PM »
So why do we term limit the president? Because it is not wise to let too much power reside in one branch of government for extended lengths of time

The President is in the executive branch. We don't term limit our legislative branch... House of Representatives or Senate. There is value in the "institutional knowledge" they gain by serving over time. If they serve the people well they keep their jobs, if they do so poorly they get voted out.

The represented are able to exercise term limits every time they vote, regardless on the tenure of the candidate.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
And in Nebraska the represented voted for term limits
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
There is value in the "institutional knowledge" they gain by serving over time. If they serve the people well they keep their jobs, if they do so poorly they get voted out.

It seems some politicians retain their incumbent status even doing poorly...Pelosi

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
There is value in the "institutional knowledge" they gain by serving over time.

Mr. Finn....not arguing per se as I think I understand your point, but it ain't rocket science being a politician.  That is the problem, MOST of US know more than these dinks as we live in a real world, yet society seems to "endow" them as some special brain trust upon successful election.....I believe the reason it is more frustrating to be in elected office these days (witness the retirement of Big Ben and soon to be Johanna) is that we don't buy the spin anymore and call their bluffs with the facts....

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
And in Nebraska the represented voted for term limits

Oh yeah, I get it. The Libertarian in me is just driven nuts by the fact that the decision/power has been put into statute instead of being retained by the people. There are politicians who have done very well, and I would have liked to retain them (or at least the opportunity to do so) for longer than we are able.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
Mr. Finn....not arguing per se as I think I understand your point, but it ain't rocket science being a politician.  That is the problem, MOST of US know more than these dinks as we live in a real world, yet society seems to "endow" them as some special brain trust upon successful election.....I believe the reason it is more frustrating to be in elected office these days (witness the retirement of Big Ben and soon to be Johanna) is that we don't buy the spin anymore and call their bluffs with the facts....
It's part of the sales job they have to do to keep the paycheck and power flowing. Convince everyone that it is rocket science, and that you're the only rocket scientist. I'm sure that it's easy-peasy compared to competing for your job and performing in most corporations.