< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB451 Hearing  (Read 1397 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
LB451 Hearing
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
I went to a hearing last Wednesday with the Judiciary committee of the state legislature, where a bill was discussed that says essentially that any new gun control law coming from the feds could not be enforced in our state (LB4510. As I understand it, several states are considering such bills.

Ernie Chambers, well known as a hard core liberal bigot who almost makes Feinstein look like a patriot, argued emphatically against it; his main point was that the supremacy clause in the US Constitution would make such a state law unconstitutional, and could lead to a dangerous confrontation between state and federal police.

This seems like a good argument. Until you remember that the only reason states are considering bills like this is that traitors in the federal government are taking the concept of reasonable restrictions to a dangerously absurd degree in regard to the 2nd Amendment. So the obvious answer to the argument made by Chambers is that if there can be exceptions to a law that includes the words "shall not be infringed," there can be exceptions to the supremacy clause too. And a state law saying essentially that a law passed by the feds that is unconstitutional can not be enforced in our state, because we will not allow that sort of lawlessness here, would seem to be a reasonable exception.

A sheriff who was obviously a loyal American testified in favor of the bill. Chambers asked him if he would try to arrest feds who came to his area making an illegal gun raid, and he said yes he would. Chambers of course pointed out that that would lead to a dangerous confrontation, that we would lose.

I'm not sure we would lose it, but there is a good chance we would. The possibility of losing though does not seem to be a valid reason to avoid taking a stand in defense of our country. But it does show the importance in doing everything we can to keep the federal government from making any more gun control laws that are in violation of the Constitution, as all of the ones being proposed now are.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: LB451 Hearing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
Why would we lose a confrontation? That Sheriff has the power to deputize as many people as necessary to enforce the law. If that meant deputizing 200 people, then he could do it.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »
The Supremacy Clause could only be invoked if the disputed federal action was Constitutional.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
The Sheriff (sworn to uphlold the Constitution), has a right to arrest anyone acting on "unlawful" orders.  Anyone (govt. employee or not) can act on an unlawful order.

"A sheriff who was obviously a loyal American testified in favor of the bill. Chambers asked him if he would try to arrest feds who came to his area making an illegal gun raid, and he said yes he would. Chambers of course pointed out that that would lead to a dangerous confrontation, that we would lose."

So this just shows that Chambers must fear and support the all powerful federal govt.  Even if they are wrong, he must be ok with their unlawful actions. 

This is why I do not understand why people vote for him or any other politician like him.

Chambers is more worried about "confrontation."  He should be concerned about the Constitution & protecting it.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:44:10 PM by just_me_mongo »
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Look how many people voted for Obama, and he's almost as bad as Chambers.  There are unfortunately a lot of people who would rather be taken care of than be free.  That's why freedom has been such a rare commodity historically. 

The difference between us and many other nations is we have a body of law that keeps even a majority from making that choice.  But only if the law is obeyed.  And if it isn't, what can be done about it?  That's the question we need to be looking into now.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
The Supremacy Clause could only be invoked if the disputed federal action was Constitutional.

They will claim that it is, as they are doing now.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
Why would we lose a confrontation? That Sheriff has the power to deputize as many people as necessary to enforce the law. If that meant deputizing 200 people, then he could do it.

If I remember right the sheriff was from western Nebraska (where I grew up), which means he might have a hard time finding that many people in a 100 mile radius.  But even a much smaller number of western Nebraska patriots with legitimate sporting purpose deer hunting rifles (which anti-gun bigots haven't started calling sniper rifles yet) could provide substantial support, on their home territory.

But there's a question over whether they would.  I like to think they would.  But when Randy Weaver's family was murdered by federal thugs in Idaho, no one got in their way.  A lot of people complained, but no one fought back.  I don't remember whether the local sheriff was on their side though.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:40:05 PM »

Kind of my thoughts from an earlier post. Since the 2nd says "Shall not be Infringed", the only way the Supremacy Clause could be invoked would be after the 2nd was abolished.

And, I believe the Nebraska Constitution states the same message of the 2nd, I believe that the state has the power to levy LB451 as 100% constitutional, both state and federal. That being said, the Supremecy Clause would not apply because the 2nd Amendment is still
"THE LAW OF THE LAND"

thoughts?

\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
Unfortunately the Admins tactics seem to be to "just do it", then play lawyer games in the court system after the fact.