< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why the paperless office is a myth!  (Read 984 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Why the paperless office is a myth!
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Why the paperless office is a myth!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
Clever.   ;D

Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
The rise of e-readers vexes me greatly ..... there are several works out there that I very much would like to read (Markos Kloos' Terms of Enlistment and Chris Hernandez's Proof of Our Resolve are two I can think of right off the top of my head, but I LIKE dead tree books ......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
I LIKE dead tree books

You and me both!

DTB also allow me to share them with ever whom I wish, which is usually my son.  AND, they don't require batteries to read, nor an Internet connection.   BUT, the biggest advantage is that the  publisher CANNOT pull them back after you've paid for them, like my son had happen to him with a couple ebooks!  That's right!  He had finished reading them and shortly after he did they "disappeared" from  his Kindle.   

I have a cheap Kindle that has a light extension which lasts about 15 hours.  IF I read only during the day the battery lasts about 25-30 days.  So far, I have 30 books and PDFs on it.  Most are from free sources, and I also have them stored on this laptop. (I would call  it a notebook but it has a 17" display).

One nice advantage of a Kindle reader is that when you turn it on it resumes right where you left off.   The disadvantage is that I bought the cheap one,  so I am nagged to turn it on and connect to the Internet every so often so that more ads can be downloaded and displayed on the "home" page, or when the Kindle is off (which takes no power).

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
LOL.

I like DTBs and my kindle.  I like the fact that I can carry a small library of classics very handily.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »
I prefer real books, but I travel a lot for work and it's a heck of a lot easier to stuff a kindle in my bag than lug around a 700 page novel.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
My wife can read a novel a day...after the bookcases filled up the basement, I bought her a Nook.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
I'll believe it when i see it on Paper.
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
My wife can read a novel a day..

I can believe that.  Most people read at less than 300 words per minute because they read one word at a time and they "think" the word, i.e., read it to themselves.   The key to speed reading is
1) stop reading one word at a time while thinking the word.   One can see a word and understand it without mentally saying it to  yourself in your mind.
2) Look at two, then three, then four words at a time without mentally saying each word. Build up  until you can see and understand a line at a time without mentally saying any word in your mind yet understand what you read.
3) began reading two lines at a time, then three, then four.  Eventually you can  glance and read the entire page at one time.

Admittedly, not all people can do this, but somewhere along the way they will build their speed to over 1,000 words per minute, or more.  A typical page may contain around 600 or 700 words.  Reading at 1,000 words per minute is reading a page per minute.  A 300 page novel would take 300 minutes, which 5 hours.  Not even half a day.

EDIT: There are other methods as well.  One is where the reader scans the page for words which are obviously subjects, verbs and objects and ignores the fillers, connectors and other trash  words that don't really carry content.   Sometimes, however, "and"'s, "if"s or "but"s are missed and wrong interpretations are taken.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:52:07 PM by GreyGeek »