< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anti-CCW and Pro-CCW businesses listing  (Read 100780 times)

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Anti-CCW and Pro-CCW businesses listing
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
Schaffers in Lincoln is posted.  Stopped by there tonight as our refridgerator kicked the bucket - very motivated buyer and would like to support local businesses when possible.  Their sign is prominently posted at the door, so I went back to the car and secured my firearm.  Went in and asked for the owner, he wasn't there.  Told the sales person about our situation and that we are buying a new appliance, but not from them.  She was really disappointed, said that she agreed with my view but that there was nothing she could do about.  She said that she wasn't sure why the owner posted it, but said that this wasn't the first time this has happened.  I asked her to tell the owner - maybe he can explain why his policy is taking money out of her pocket!   >:(
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »
I don't know for sure if Ron Romero (the guy who does their TV commercials)  is the actual owner of Schaeffer's.  I think he is, at least a partial owner.  I'll try to find out, though.  He was a high school friend and poker playing buddy of mine many years ago.  Even if he's not in control, maybe he can enlighten me as to the reason they have posted.  I, too, am disappointed, as Schaffer's was otherwise a pretty good, and convenient for me, place to do business.  If he is in charge, or at least has any influence on the matter, maybe I can convince him to take them down (like our theatres did).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline averagejoe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
long story, very short, "The Matt" http://www.themattomaha.com/ is not gun friendly.  I called last Saturday to ask some general questions. I then asked if they had a no guns policy.  To which the pantie wearing liberal said "why would you carry a gun."  Technically because they serve alcohol they may be on the restricted list anyway. I didn't want to drive across town, walk 3 blocks and then have to walk back to the jeep just to secure my gun, so I thought I'd ask.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »
As promised, I emailed Ron Romero of Schaeffer's TV and Appliance, to question why the business is posted.  I got an email back from Ron today saying he was out of town for the week, but that he was going to have a response for me once he got back and had a chance to meet with his team.  To me, this sounded like he at least was willing to discuss the matter.  That being the case, I offered him this for the team to ponder:

Since you are meeting with your team, and presumably will discuss the matter of posting the store against guns, I?d like to offer this for everyone to mull over:

There is virtually no risk from allowing Concealed Handgun Permit holders into your store.  Statistically, CHP holders are less likely to commit a crime than law enforcement officers are.  They have all demonstrated that they can handle guns safely and proficiently, and the last thing they want to do is draw attention to themselves or to cause others who may be fearful of guns to have any reason for concern.  Those who come into your store carrying despite your posting against it, pose a great risk.  Though we don?t want, or look for, a reason to use our handguns, most of us are prepared and willing to defend ourselves and other innocent people should the need arise.  If anything, for safety?s sake, you should welcome CHP holders into your establishment.

I'll let you know when I hear anything.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
jdaffer, I have had lunch at The Matt a couple of time, did not see any no guns signs.  But the establishment really seems to turn more into a bar after the lunch crowd.  My guess they would get more than 50% from alcohol...

May be an excuse to go have lunch there again and check it out.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
a & h - thanks for the follow up on Schaeffers.  Seems like we make more progress when people who know each other talk about the issue than when complete strangers try to talk about them.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
You're welcome, Roper.  I like doing business there, and they are very close to where I live, so I hate having to go somewhere else when I need something they carry.  However, a week or two ago, my microwave oven bit the dust.  My wife wanted to meet me at Schaeffer's the next day at lunch time to pick out a new one.  I talked her into going to Sam's Club using the "better price" argument.  She would have thought it was dumb to "boycott" anyone over the gun issue.  Women!  Oops.  I'll probably hear from some now!  :-\

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »
no msg
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:35:03 AM by LM4202 »

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »
I guess if I owned a business I would find one that gave me a good price without a gun ban sign.
I kind of believe in my rights and being the owner of a business while MAYBE paying a little more wouldn't change my opinion.
 My right to "keep and bear arms " along with all of my other rights are more important than what's in my wallet.
 So I personally won't do business with those that believe what's in their wallets are more important than my rights.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »
As promised, here is an update on Schaefer's TV and Appliance posting situation.

Ron Romero, president of the business, wrote me today.  Since he and I were old friends, the email was somewhat personal, and I will not duplicate it here.  However, here is the reasoning behind his choice to post the business.  Some time ago, they had a customer come in who was carrying a handgun in a holster under his jacket.  He had some kind of a beef concerning a purchase he had made with them, and he became quite beligerant and abrasive toward the female employee who was trying to help him.  In the process, he drew his jacket back intentionally to show his gun, presumably to scare her into a favorable disposition of his complaint.  She was scared, and went to her manager for help.  The manager was able to appease the customer, and no further threats or violence actually occurred.  However, a number of the employees were shaken by the incident.  Ron's legal council advised him that by posting against guns, he might make his employees feel a bit safer, and would be able to show that he had taken steps to provide a safe work environment for them should any further incidents occur and result in injuries or death.  There are probably some OSHA concerns that come into play in that regard, too, though I don't know specifically if that is an issue.  I think that is where the legal council was focusing as well as any possible civil suits that might come from a shooting incident.

Now, we all know that the signs aren't going to protect people in the store.  In fact, most of us believe the store would actually be a safer place if it allowed CHP holders to carry while shopping there.  Still, the property owner has just as much right to refuse guns on the place as we do to carry in public.

I didn't try to change Ron's mind, but I did make some suggestions.  First, rather than posting against legal CHP holders, why not put up a sign that bans all guns.  If making his employees feel safer was really the issue, I'm sure they would rather not have people coming in with AK47s over there shoulders and 45s on their hips in plain sight.  I also reminded him that his sign had absolutely no legal value regarding people who were carrying concealed without a permit.  They would already be breaking the law, and a silly little sign would not only be useless, but it would also have no legal consequence for the person should he be found carrying in the store. (No additonal charges as a result of the posting.)  Also, by banning all guns, it would not make law-abiding CHP holders feel they were being discriminated against or that they would be at a disadvantage should someone come in carrying in the open (with unknown intent).

So, I doubt if anything will change at Schaefer's, and though I'd rather they didn't post, I'm pleased that Ron would at least explain his stance.  By the way, reading between the lines, it seemed as if he might actually be saying he didn't care, personally, if CHP holders carried in the store as long as the weapons remained concealed.  However, with the sign remaining, I would not take the chance of being "made" while there because the police may not care even if Ron came to bat for me and said it was okay.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »
 What would you do?

Go to a theater that is not posted.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline jdavie87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 04:43:45 AM »
http://binaries.concealedcarryforum.com/ccwsign/1.pdf

Found that on another forum, thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Print them out and hand them to the businesses you run into that won't let you carry, so they know why you won't be doing business with them.

Page 1 is the front of the card, page 2 is the back. Someone could probably even throw the NFOA logo on there somewhere, if they wanted to.

Offline Ry45

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 05:06:28 AM »
Wow, I love those cards! thats a good idea.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:47 AM »
Wow, I love those cards! thats a good idea.

Here's one that I made up a while back:  http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1362028&da=y
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
Those cards are fantastic!  I needed something to leave at a wolf feeding ground! ;D

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
I should have mentioned, these are setup for Avery "clean-edge" business cards(#28877) that I bought at ChinaMart for about $8 for 120 cards. 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »
Went this last weekend, no firearms sign posted at gate.  Just mailed him one of the cards.

Northeast Nebraska?s Scenic View
2 Day Swap Meet
Buy * Sell * Trade
FLEA MARKET
&
HILLBILLY AUCTION
First Weekend each month April thru October

Antiques ? Collectibles ? Sporting Goods
Hunting Dogs ? Crafts ? Fowl
Vegetables ? Tools ? Car Parts

FREE ADMISSION

Parking for Campers & Trucks - Lunch Stand
Auction Barn ? Vendors Bring your tables
Hwys. 94 & 75 then 1 ? miles north
And 1 mile East.

For more information contact: Don Nottleman, Walthill, Ne. 68067
Flea Market 402-846-9150
Pawn Shop 402-349-9320
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »
Bosselman's has ordered removal of  all signs according to an email from  their owner. Let me know if you see any signs in their stations
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Nick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
No Frills Supermarkets in Bellevue (1510 Harlan Drive and 909 Fort Crook Road North) are posted for no handguns.

Also the Taco Johns at 1314 Harlan Drive in Bellevue (same shopping center as the No Frills) is posted.

Update 11/29/09: The Taco Johns was not posted when I was there today. I don't know why they removed it but I'm happy as it's one of my wife's favorite fast-food joints so I have to go in there sometimes.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:25:28 PM by Nick »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
Thanks Nick, and welcome to the NFOA forum
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.