< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Powder Coating Lead Bullets  (Read 32830 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Powder Coating Lead Bullets
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »
Currently at

85 bullets, 1/2 tsp powder, 1 tablespoon lacquer thinner.

Mixing time is 5-10 min.

Bake is 20min / 400f.

Paying attention to tackiness of PC gel / bullets is important. Like making real fudge. Too runny or too thick produces an uglier coat.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2016, 09:49:30 PM »
Currently at

85 bullets, 1/2 tsp powder, 1 tablespoon lacquer thinner.

Mixing time is 5-10 min.

Bake is 20min / 400f.

Paying attention to tackiness of PC gel / bullets is important. Like making real fudge. Too runny or too thick produces an uglier coat.

This seems to be a decent recipe for what I've been working at.  It gives a decent-enough coat for plinking ammo without being "thick".  The thinner coat makes sizing go easier, too.  Shaking time is probably 2-5min, not 5-10min.  The home depot paint mixer cup is holding up just fine and honestly seems to be a great size for the wet process.

Cut out a few more trays for bullets from 1/4" steel mesh.  Just to speed up the process a bit.

I've got about 6 quarts of coated bullets that I've started to load. 

Starting with just 5.9-6.0 grains of Unique, which I had good luck with before.  Hope to get out to a range and make sure the new bullets still don't cause any leading issues (otherwise, pan lube or a lubrisizer is in my future).

I'll admit, my Hornady LNL AP & rcbs dies has been quite cranky in trying to get back into the swing of things.  About the only thing that hasn't been fighting me is the case activated powder die/tube/dropper/filler/thing. 

I'd give the vibrate case tumbler & bake thing an attempt - but the wet process seems to be working fine for me in a nice relaxed pace. 

Drummer had mentioned his previous plating attempts with some success.  I will hopefully give plating another attempt this winter.  All depends on free time (which I don't have much of).  His setup and some of the stuff I've grabbed should yield a less hokey environment.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
Finally made it to range today.

50 powder coated bullets sitting on 6.0 grains of Unique went down range with no leading of the barrel.  These were the liquid method PC bullets.

Very happy ... especially since I've loaded and boxed 1000 rounds of it so far :D