< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Returning To My Childhood (not far to travell :)  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Returning To My Childhood (not far to travell :)
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
In my youth, by first real gun was an Ithaca model 49, single shot lever action .22.  Boy O boy, did I love that gun.  Many an hour down by the river shooting cans, rocks, twigs, and just having a great time.

My second gun, soon to come was a Browning BL22 grade 2, lever action .22.  Purchased it used, but it looked new, for $100, which seemed like a bunch of money, as the Ithaca cost $19! 

Both guns have long past traded hands, never to be seen again, but I often remember them.

Lately, I have been looking around for that Ithaca, and maybe a Browning also, to fill that void in my gun collection.

Today, at WalMart, I made a compromise, I purchased a gun that looks a little like both of them, a Henry lever action .22.  Shoots LR or short, and is much the same size and weight of my original guns.

Because you can never really replace something you used to have, unless you get lucky and find the exact item you once sold, I think this will be a good compromise.

This helps to balance out my evil side with mostly gov ban listed black guns with mags.  lol

More than likely, oil the dickens out of it, and put it in the safe and never fire it, getting it out to clean from time to time, maybe with a The Rifleman western playing in the background.

Borrowed Google image, close enough!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:03:27 PM by Gary »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Returning To My Childhood (not far to travell :)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
Looks like the Winchester Model 94.  I owned the Marlin version of that.   When I went off to  college I gave that gun, and all my others, to my younger brother for safe keeping.   He promptly sold them all.  I don't know what  he did with the money.   I guess he still remembered the fight we had when my dad kicked me out of the house.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
lol, I did the exact same thing about a year ago. I have always wanted a lever action rifle, but never got around to getting one. I finally got around to getting the same rifle at Cabela's last year and have been in love ever since. You can't go wrong with a lever action Henry :)

Congrats on the new rifle! And even more congrats for touching base with your childhood!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
I have big bore lever Winchesters (one made in 1898 and one in 1956) and a Marlin, but my favorite ammo is shorts 22, and then 22 LR.   A Browning BL22 grade 2 sells so high now, makes me blush.  Why?  Same for the Marlin 39A.  Why so darn high?

The Henry is well made, USA made, and I should enjoy it.    Penny's less than 300 bucks, so it was still high enough.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
Racking a Lever-action Rifle is One of Those........

Most Incredibly Delicious Tactile-Sensory Pleasures.

Like.....

>Catching a long fly ball at the top of the fence with the bases loaded.....

>Out-driving the local pro at the golf course.....

>Holding your new girl's hand on a soft summer night....

>First ride, new Corvette....

>Leaving the base administrative office with your official discharge and mustering-out pay in your hand...

>Cold beer on hot day after mowing.....

Yup.....it's right up there!!!

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »
Congratulations on the new rifle. I bought one for my son for a Christmas present a 2-3 years ago. I use it quite a bit though with birdshot...keep them nasty black bird numbers down, those birds make quite a mess on the swimming pool deck, sides of pool, on my spare PU truck, dog food bowl, etc. Works great.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
I go a lot by sound, how something feels.  I have purchased pinball machines, by the sounds they make while playing them, over how they play.

The gun sound that most impresses me, and also how it feels, is old single action Ruger's.  Those distinct, loud, four clicks are pretty cool.   I remember owning a .357 single action Ruger when old man Ruger started redoing them free, placing inside the transfer bar.  Nothing doing, taking away my four loud clicks. 

The sound on the Henry 22 is pretty good, the salesman at walmart allowed me to work the action before I decided on it.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
^^ I had to laugh a bit, at `allowed you to work the action`..lol, betcha he knew that would seal the deal..lol
Hey, if you think about it and see a Marlin in 30-30 there, please shoot me a PM. I have been wanting one for a few months, but they have not got any in yet.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »
^^ I had to laugh a bit, at `allowed you to work the action`..lol, betcha he knew that would seal the deal..lol
Hey, if you think about it and see a Marlin in 30-30 there, please shoot me a PM. I have been wanting one for a few months, but they have not got any in yet.

I know the sporting goods manager, so he knows I don't ask to fondle something unless I am pretty serious.  Tom is a pretty good guy. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:20:26 PM by Gary »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »
Congrats on the new purchase.  I've heard good things about the little Henry rifles.  I want a Marlin 39 badly.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
I have owned 39a's.  They are a stouter rifle, more to hold.  More robust, more adult in proportions.   They have the weight and feel of a big bore. 

If you have ever held a Ithaca 49, you get the feeling it is a cousin to a daisy BB gun.  The complete opposite of a 39A.  Likewise the Browning BL22 is quite small.   This Henry is a pretty close match to those rifles in size, but it is heavier, and more robust than those.

Personalized it today, with gold fingernail polish.  One reason I purchased it was the ability to shoot S/L/LR.  Pretty rare these days.   Thought about the Judge in 22 /22 mag, to cover all the bases, but it did not visit my past in the same way.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:01:18 PM by Gary »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
Racking a Lever-action Rifle is One of Those........

Most Incredibly Delicious Tactile-Sensory Pleasures.

I've got a Win 94AE in 30-30.  It was a gift from my Dad when I turned 18 or so.  Sadly, the original 30-30 he had was stolen a few years prior :(.

Anyhoo, the newfangled win94ae ... has... too many moving parts and almost looks like it's falling apart when you actuate the lever.  Not a big fan.  The classic rifle ? oh yes, the newer thing... not so much.

That said, it *performs* fine... but the action isn't nearly as satisfying.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
I've got a Win 94AE in 30-30.  It was a gift from my Dad when I turned 18 or so.  Sadly, the original 30-30 he had was stolen a few years prior :(.

Anyhoo, the newfangled win94ae ... has... too many moving parts and almost looks like it's falling apart when you actuate the lever.  Not a big fan.  The classic rifle ? oh yes, the newer thing... not so much.

That said, it *performs* fine... but the action isn't nearly as satisfying.

What year is your 94?

I have a 1898 and a 1956.  I traded a 1919, which was mostly identical to the 1898, not a lot of differences.  My 1956 is still a nice rifle, but it does not have the magic of the earlier models.  I believe 1964 is a cut off date where they really changed.

My all time favorite guns are the lever action western style guns of the John Wayne movies, and The Rifleman TV series.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 12:03:05 AM »

Here are some pics of my Ithaca model 49, my dad and I bought it new when I was 12 or 13.
I can't remember how much it was but I think around $40-$50.
I really thought I was something having graduated from BB guns to this "real thing".
We used to have a cabin near Louisville Ne. and I would have it with me every weekend we would spend there, I shot a lot of rounds thru it, and a lot of rabbits died. There were some neighbors to Dad's property that were kind of poor and we would give them all the rabbits I shot, the mother would start cleaning them right away while we would BS with the boys.
Around that same time I remember shooting an M1 carbine that belonged to my dads buddy, that felt like a cannon after being used to my little 22.
It is funny how holding a firearm can bring back memories from your past, I tell every young shooter I know to never sell a gun that you love, because you will always regret it later.
Greg58

Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
Thank you so much for posting images and your 49 story.   Wonderful!

Mine was that same light colored stock.  Very hard wood, oak maybe?  Sure miss that gun.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:07:51 AM by Gary »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »
I really like the light colored stock as well, I think it is oak or ash.
Something about wood on a gun appeals to me, my sons both have all black shotguns and they don't seem to have the warmth to them, kind of stark and all business.
That might be why I like wheel guns so much.

Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »
I have a 49R, that is a repeater, but I prefer the 49.  Your pics makes me want to keep looking. 

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I have a 49R, that is a repeater, but I prefer the 49.  Your pics makes me want to keep looking. 

The 49r does not have a good reputation, I think you will like the Henry.
If I run across a 49 I will let you know.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:54:03 PM by greg58 »
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
The 49R was never really mass produced, it later resurfaced as a 72?  Think that was the number.  Many gun books fail to mention a 49R.  I snagged it for 50 bucks several years ago, thinking it was close enough. 

There was a 49 at the Lincoln gun show for $125.  I should have grabbed it.

Today, I bid and won a Henry Mares Leg .22, large loop, so I should be OK on 22's for a time, unless I do spot a good clean 49. .

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
I like the Henry 22 so well, I decided to add another one, this time a matching pistol.

(odd the batf thinks this is a pistol, and not a short barrel rifle, but better me having the $200, then them)