< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Firearms Owners Association Sues State of Nebraska  (Read 920 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Nebraska Firearms Owners Association Sues State of Nebraska
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
Lincoln, NE, April 1, 2013 – The Nebraska Firearms Owners Association (NFOA), announced that today the NFOA and the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) filed a lawsuit in federal district court challenging the State of Nebraska’s statutory prohibition on issuing concealed handgun permits to legal non-citizens for self defense.

The case seeks to overturn the State’s non-citizen concealed carry ban on constitutional grounds, specifically the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms and the Fourteenth Amendment’s equal protection clause. The plaintiff is Carlos Nino De Rivera Lajous, a Mexican citizen who legally resides in Nebraska. He has lived legally in Lincoln, Nebraska since 1990 and received his permanent resident visa (green card) in 1991.

“Mr. Lajous has worked as a machinist for an aviation company in Lincoln for fourteen years,” stated NFOA President Wesley Dickinson.  “He has also earned three associate degrees from Central Community College in Hastings and he has family in the area.”

Defendants in the case are Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning and Nebraska State Patrol Superintendent David Sankey, in their respective official capacities.

“At issue here is long-settled law,” Dickinson continued. “The State of Nebraska cannot, under the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, deny a legal Permanent Resident Alien his fundamental Second Amendment rights. This includes prohibiting Mr. Lajous, who can legally openly carry a handgun in the State of Nebraska, from applying for, passing the background checks, and obtaining a concealed handgun permit from the Nebraska State Patrol to carry a concealed handgun for his own personal protection.”
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Nebraska Firearms Owners Association Sues State of Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
This is great news. However my BS meter is set on high today.

This seems real... GA. I hate April fools day.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »
This is no joke, it is a real lawsuit

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »
This is not a drill
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
Awesome!

With what happened with the fake press release today about the keystone pipeline, I'm hopping the folks in charge around here are way smarter than that. And it turns out they are!

Thanks guys!

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »
Cool. 8)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »
At first, thought was an 4/1 joke, but as soon as saw the subject matter I knew it was serious (NFOA has been discussing this for a while).

Get'em boys <3
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
Good!  Excellent suit!  Having spent many years as a "legal alien" in other countries, I always appreciated their extending firearms rights to me.  We should do the same to legal residents of our country as well.

I'm surprised the NE law was even written this way in the first place.  A business owner cannot even discriminate lawfully between US Citizen and legal foreign job candidates, so I don't know how the State of Nebraska thinks it can parse out 2A rights differently between different groups.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
South Dakota was sued about this very subject last year. They changed their law rather quickly....  ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
Every person in this country, or merely passing through it, deserves  the FULL protection of the Constitution.  Deny it to anyone and eventually reasons will be found to deny it to everyone.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
Grey - that is the best reply I have seen on this subject.  Thanks

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
Awesome, now my wife can get one if this gets done!