< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Absolutely brilliant  (Read 681 times)

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
Absolutely brilliant
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
On the way home, I heard an excerpt from Colorado Representative Diana DeGette's reply to a question on why she felt banning high capacity magazines would truly help with any sort of gun control. Here is her reply:

“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those now they’re going to shoot them, and so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available,”

I'm serious, I heard her say it on the radio.

In an early reply in regards to another question, she referred to them as "magazine clips".

This is after hearing Biden telling everyone to "Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun." and blast both 12 gauge barrels up in the air.

I wish our Leaders would calm down a bit  and let us common citizens educate them a bit so that we could have an intelligent debate over gun control.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Absolutely brilliant
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
Wow, I sure don't mean to reply to my own post, but I just found out where her Spokeswoman later said she had simply mis-spoke:

The Colorado Republican Party and National Rifle Association both took shots at the congresswoman’s remarks, according to the Post, which also provided a statement Wednesday from DeGette spokeswoman Juliet Johnson, who said she simply misspoke.

“The congresswoman has been working on a high-capacity assault magazine ban for years, and has been deeply involved in the issue; she simply misspoke in referring to ‘magazines’ when she should have referred to ‘clips,’ which cannot be reused because they don’t have a feeding mechanism,” Ms. Johnson said. “Quite frankly, this is just another example of opponents of common-sense gun violence prevention trying to manipulate the facts to distract from the critical issue of keeping our children safe and keeping killing machines out of the hands of disturbed individuals. It’s more political gamesmanship that stands in the way of responsible solutions.”

So, if she did indeed "mis-speak', why did she reply to the question about high capacity magazines with concerns over "high capacity clips"? Also, I feel a bit sheepish for just now finding out that evidently, clips aren't able to be re-used? ( ::) ) Finally, I don't think any of my 5 and 10 round internal magazine rifles will mind if we ban 30 round clips :)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
This is the Government that makes laws to controll our lives.  ???

I wish some of these people could just choke on their words.

Heaven help us.!
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »
I object to libs using the term "Common sense" as most of them think it's a Bath&Body candle fragrance. :P

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »
A statement made by our President earlier today:

“Now, over the next couple of months, we’ve got a couple of issues:  gun control.  (Applause.)  I just came from Denver, where the issue of gun violence is something that has haunted families for way too long, and it is possible for us to create common-sense gun safety measures that respect the traditions of gun ownership in this country and hunters and sportsmen, but also make sure that we don’t have another 20 children in a classroom gunned down by a semiautomatic weapon – by a fully automatic weapon in that case, sadly.“

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:43:18 PM »
She did indeed misspeak, and then some more intelligent member of her staff caught it and tried to put the cat back in the bag.  She obviously has not been working on “large capacity magazine” issues for years, sounds more like the “flavor of the week” to me.  And these are the idiots we are electing to office in our country. 

Is there anyone left in our country who hasn’t figured out WHY we have such inane problems here?  Ghads, time to buy that island of my own I guess.  Things is screwed up everywhere!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX