< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Retired US Army Captain thinks DHS should disarm  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Retired US Army Captain thinks DHS should disarm
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
My BS meter is twitching.  Maybe some long term military / Army guys here clarify.
The letter writer says he is a retired Army Captain with 30 years service.
With 30 years service, should not he have achieved the rank of LTC or Col by this time?
I know that some Captains that got passed over for promotion twice were shown the door.
So, is there a story behind the story?   If this is a "BS" story, the opposition will be all over this. :-\

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
My BS meter is twitching.  Maybe some long term military / Army guys here clarify.
The letter writer says he is a retired Army Captain with 30 years service.
With 30 years service, should not he have achieved the rank of LTC or Col by this time?
I know that some Captains that got passed over for promotion twice were shown the door.
So, is there a story behind the story?   If this is a "BS" story, the opposition will be all over this.

It depend on his career path

He might have been an enlisted person for 15 or more years then went to OCS and became an officer.
Or he was in an MOS with very few open Slots.

That will also slow or almost halt ones advancement unless he is able to cross posts into another area.

Could be too there is also the possibility that he was a higher rank in a Reserve or National Guard unit and took voluntary reduction in rank to transfer into a regular army posting.

There are lots of ways he could be at that rank without looking at his service jacket it's hard to say.

He might have switched Service branches too that can cost you rank to do.

Plus he's in the Infantry now     :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:52:42 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
yeah, my BS meter twitches whenever I come across an article like such. But IMO what is(or has suposedly been) written does have some validity. SEE, maybe there are more than just a couple of us with our tin-foil hats too tight? :laugh:

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I'll see that, and raise you a General who thinks .223 caliber semi-auto rifles are inappropriate for civilian possession.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/08/former-gen-mcchrystal-assault-rifles-are-for-battlefields-not-schools/

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Ok maybe I`ll give up my .223 with it`s `devastating effects`..but only after I get me one of these..no maybe not, that thing ways ~ 1lb more than my R25..need to keep a lighter weight .223..

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Good grief!  338 Lapua?  F-ing OUCH!

OK, I have "slightly" changed my position on AR's.  I have been saying for the longest time that I lost the allure for the "black rifle" back in my military days, you carry something like that day after day and the novelty wears off pretty quick.  But I have been courting the idea of an AR-10 lately.  Been watching videos on them and that might be just the thing to bring me back to the classic AR platform.  And the price is better than an M1A.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX