< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A great day for Alabama gun owners.  (Read 743 times)

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
A great day for Alabama gun owners.
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
Alabama SB286 has passed the senate! Contrary to what the sherrifs have said, this bill allows the citizens of Alabama to get a lifetime CCP if a background check is passed. Commit a crime, lose your permit. But a sherrif will no longr be able to use a CCP as a political club or a bribe. It also allows you to LEGALLY carry in your car, and while you can be fired for having it in your car at work, you can sue for lost wages, so I guess you wait until just before the statute of limitations runs out to maximize the penalty. I work next to the "hood" and have been "approached" twice by young males demanding money. Both times I got in their face, but had nothing to back it up, other than the fact that I would have ripped off their arms and shoved them up their asses! The new gun rights bill is expected to pass the house. This bill was started by a courageous few who refused to concealed carry, and instead exercised their LEGAL right to open carry in public. It certainley ticked off a lot of people, and caused the police to monitor them very close, but they stuck to their guns! Pun intended.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: A great day for Alabama gun owners.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
So open carry had a positive outcome?   I do not usually think of open carry leading to good results.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »
"SB 286 seeks to restore and protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and sportsmen in Alabama by addressing the following issues:

*** No employer may prohibit the otherwise lawful possession, transportation or storage of firearms or ammunition that is kept out of sight within a locked or attended private vehicle of an invitee who is otherwise permitted to operate or park that vehicle on the property.  This would allow employees to carry a firearm during their commute to and from work.
    *** Creates a “car carry permit” that will be free of charge and good for life.  Currently, in order to transport a handgun in a vehicle, one must be in possession of a pistol permit.
    *** Shifts the current “May Issue” concealed carry permit system to a “Shall Issue” permit system and requires that a sheriff must issue or deny the carry permit within thirty days.  Should someone be denied a permit, a written denial must be provided and that applicant would have an opportunity to appear before an appeals panel.
   *** A permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be good for one to five years (to be decided by the applicant seeking the carry permit).
  ***  Requires sheriffs to use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to conduct a background check on concealed pistol permit applicants.
  ***  Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama.
  ***  Strengthens Alabama’s firearms preemption statute by reserving for the state legislature complete control over regulation and policy relating to firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories in order to ensure that such regulation is applied uniformly throughout the state.
 *** Extends the current Castle Doctrine to include places of business to ensure the right of self-defense does not end when you enter your business."

Read more at: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/4/alabama-omnibus-firearms-bill-sails-through-the-senate.aspx?s=&st=10465&ps=

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
So open carry had a positive outcome?   I do not usually think of open carry leading to good results.

Open carry takes more guts than I have. As a matter of fact, I do not concealed carry either although I support those who choose to do so. I have succeeded in surviving over 60 years without carrying, but have had my ass kicked more than once. Lately I have felt the danger level increase as we have had more cold blooded murders for no reason at all other than the victim was white. I would like for my wife to carry, but she cannot carry from her car into work which is where she is most vulnerable so what is the point. Alabama has the castle law so protection at home is not an issue.