< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thoughts on an open carry gathering  (Read 5123 times)

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
Thoughts on an open carry gathering
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
So I had a blast going to the rally at the state capitol a few months back, but we havent really done anything since then. And I saw a youtube video the other day on a group of folks open carrying just to raise awareness in the community, I am not a big proponent of open carry as I would not want somone to knnow i was carrying but I do love the message/ideal. so anyways it gave me an idea. Now with the current anti-gun climate, and the proposed gun legislation for background checks which will only lead to more registration and eventually confiscation, NOW seems like the good time to organize an picnic or gathering of folks for coffee/ breakfast, or whatever that we as members can attend and hopefully bring continued education to the public through a show of responsible gun ownership.

So any ideas?

Offline johncavh

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Thoughts on an open carry gathering
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
is'nt nebraska an open carry state ???

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »
The issue with open carry, is it is OK as long as no one does it.  The second someone starts walking down O street in Lincoln NE with a deer rifle over his shoulder, as a way of attracting attention, the gun folks go from looking one way, to looking like spooks.  Not just the guy with the rifle on O street, we all look like spooks. 

I am opposed to open carry, because it makes us look like we are at odds with law and order.   It does not place us at odds with law and order, it just looks like it does. 

I think Gun shows, like car shows, are a good place to open the hoods, and all come to one place to show what we have collected, and what we might like to trade back and forth, or sell.  Just meeting in the park, with weapons over our shoulders, for no reason except the second amendment, to me, is not a good reason to congregate or assemble.  Not at this time, or at this place in our history. 

Yes, other cultures do show guns in more open exhibits of firearms, like Switzerland.  That works for them.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »
I am opposed to open carry, because it makes us look like we are at odds with law and order.   It does not place us at odds with law and order, it just looks like it does.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. It is your perception and opinion. I open carry frequently, and have attended several open carry gatherings. The cold plain truth is that 99% of the people don't even notice, and if you don't look like a hood rat, the ones that do notice could really care less.

Most people who attend open carry gatherings don't have a deer rifle or evil black gun strapped to them - the largest percentage are carrying holstered handguns. But if someone wants to carry a rifle then by all means they should be able to.

I take 2A for how it was meant. I have the right to bear arms, not with the caveat that I must keep it concealed. If a few sheeple are offended by my carrying a weapon openly then so be it.
Just my $0.02

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:50:15 AM »
Lets say, I have a library card, to come and go in public library's and check out books.   Would I be better served by having my library card glued to the outside of my shirt, or should I just keep it in my pocket until I need it?

Why is it necessary to show others, by my displaying of my library card, I have the privilege of reading, is not the reading of the books, reward enough?

I have watched several open carry videos on you tube, and the ones I have seen, are an embarrassment to myself as a gun owner.  The ones I have watched, show immaturity, and a desire to get arrested, and win large lawsuits against city governments with deep pockets.

The LA riots, that was a good time for open carry, where merchants were on rooftops guarding their stores from looters.  In that instance, the open display of a gun placed a law and order feeling among potential looters. 

In day to day comings and goings, around town, most grandmas don't need encouragement to restrain from looting, and participating in gang riots,   Until that day comes, to a city near me, knowing the guns are close at hand, out of sight, is a good standard most always.  Branshing a firearm is just not necessary 99.99999% of the time, and I would really not see them in my daily life cycle.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:21:19 AM »
Here is an open carry guy in wal mart making the check out persons day. 

The thing about one persons personal rights, those rights should not trample on the personal rights of others.  The fifty people that saw this guy in WM making a scene, all the while video taping the ordeal, what about their rights to shop without a guy introducing fear into their lives? 

I picked a pretty mild video.  You tube is littered with videos where an odd duck with a gun is looking for attention. 

As a gun owner, I do not want branded as an odd duck, because of this wal mart nut, or a Sandy Hook nut.  I see them as all infringing on my rights to keep my guns out of sight, and under control, not causing anyone undue fear, or disturbing the peace.

We could all loose our rights to keep and bear arms, if just a few of us, push for something we should have enough brains not to do.

Who would walk into a WM, in Virginia (DC area) and open carry, while video taping? 

The instant the checker bailed, that was disturbing the peace and I would have arrested him.  Trouble is, that is what this guy with a lawyers phone number wants.   10 million, 12 million?  60 million?   

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:22 AM »
Here is an open carry guy in wal mart making the check out persons day. 

The thing about one persons personal rights, those rights should not trample on the personal rights of others.  The fifty people that saw this guy in WM making a scene, all the while video taping the ordeal, what about their rights to shop without a guy introducing fear into their lives? 

I picked a pretty mild video.  You tube is littered with videos where an odd duck with a gun is looking for attention. 

As a gun owner, I do not want branded as an odd duck, because of this wal mart nut, or a Sandy Hook nut.  I see them as all infringing on my rights to keep my guns out of sight, and under control, not causing anyone undue fear, or disturbing the peace.

We could all loose our rights to keep and bear arms, if just a few of us, push for something we should have enough brains not to do.

Who would walk into a WM, in Virginia (DC area) and open carry, while video taping? 

The instant the checker bailed, that was disturbing the peace and I would have arrested him.  Trouble is, that is what this guy with a lawyers phone number wants.   10 million, 12 million?  60 million?   

Ok so the problem I have with this - you are doing the same thing the democommies are doing. Using a few idiots to place a tag on ALL of us. Using a few retards to make your point isn't going to fly. Just in case I missed it, I went back to the OP and read it word for word, and as I had thought, not once was there mention of videotaping the suggest OC gathering.

If OC is not ok then 2A is damned near dead.

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:32 AM »
Change through "in your face" education...

Open Carry can become the norm, just look to Arizona.  But this will require OC days announced in advance and successfully carried out over and over again with no "accidents"...

An openly armed society is a polite and safe society.   8)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
If Second Ammendment supporters throw a get together, in a lawful way, in a park or somewhere, that would be better than a few of us, or one of us, making a scene by pushing our right on others, that would rather we not.

However, at gun rallies to seek support, gun lobby groups like NRA and GOA always stress, leave the guns home.   I agree.  I would also not concealed carry to a gun demenstration.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
by pushing our right on others,

ughhh nevermind.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:00:38 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:00:28 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:00:21 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
I look forward to hearing more of how we lowly civilians ought not exercize our God-given rights by BEARING arms...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:05:58 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
Oh God FarmeRick that made my day! I posted this hoping that others would see this as an idea and we could by a show of responsible ownership show other citizens their God given inalienable rights, while also showing we are not kooks or gun nuts.

Next thing I know the a tidal wave of emotion, and posts, and then farmerricks popcorn eating smiley face cracked me up, I needed that bro TY.

When I posted this idea I posted it with the knowledge that we do have differences, I would never open carry as a daily defensive setup for the fact that I dont want the bad people knowing I am carrying.
Now Gary, I LOVE youtube! I am an addict watching hours upon hours weekly sometimes nightly and agree that some open carry guys cause our struggle to maintain 2A rights even harder. For instance one video shows a kid ( we will call him dumbass). dumbass shows up to his girlfriend being pulled over by a cop after she calls dumbass. Now he engages in a casual verbal exchange with the female in the car all the while the cop is watching dumbass video tap it and carrying a gun at a vehicle he has pulled over, then when confronted dumbass leaves and expects no recourse.
Now i see this in two ways dumbass flexed his rights in the wrong way, doing it to get a reaction and yes he got one. Two if this was more common place; The practice of OC, then it would not have been an issue.

Remember I LOVE youtube right? Heres one for you that shows how I wish our rally back in Jan or Feb had gone.  I wanted to OC but everyone else said "no it will make us look like kooks, its not wise, leave em' at home" and so I agreed but somewhat reluctantly.

And the example was used of a library card, i got another one for you, I am a Christian and when my wife and I go out to eat we hold hands bow our head and give thanks. That is a right that is protected by the Constitution not afforded to me by it, some people stare at us and sometimes shake their heads, and occasionally people like my show of faith or beliefs and voice it, should I be concerned that it bothers some? My praying could in the same sense as OC could be viewed as disturbing the peace.  My praying and beliefs are offensive to some so should I only pray at home, same place my gun is locked away?
Slowly but surely the common place worldview will change ours, If we believe in the constitution we must believe in it all.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:45:06 PM by wusker »

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
LOL Rick! That is PERFECT!

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
And the example was used of a library card, i got another one for you, I am a Christian and when my wife and I go out to eat we hold hands bow our head and give thanks. That is a right that is protected by the Constitution not afforded to me by it, some people stare at us and sometimes shake their heads, and occasionally people like my show of faith or beliefs and voice it, should I be concerned that it bothers some? My praying could in the same sense as OC could be viewed as disturbing the peace.  My praying and beliefs are offensive to some so should I only pray at home, same place my gun is locked away?
Slowly but surely the common place worldview will change ours, If we believe in the constitution we must believe in it all.
Well said Wusker, well said.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
Gunowners that beleive we should hide or guns???

May your chains rest lightly upon you. 

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
What does everyone think about hiring some off duty, uniformed officers to provide security/attend one of these 2A/Open Carry picnics? It could be a way of looping in law enforcement and start changing their perspective. If we get OPD to stop viewing an OCer as an armed gunman, it seems like much of the trouble with OCing would be resolved.

I’m not so much worried about freaking some people out, as I am getting shot/thrown in the slammer by OPD.

I could be wrong and they don't see OCing that way...

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
When Ted Nugent speaks at gun rallies, would you rather he also have an AR15 over his shoulder, or do we attend such meetings, to hear what the leaders of the NRA have to say?

Should have Alex Jones went on CNN holding a gun, as well as being pissed?

I love gun shows, where guns are on display.  For a gun rally where gun owners are on display, speak softly, and carry a big sign does a better job in my mind.   

I pray the day never comes where I need to walk the streets, or my property line, for any reason, holding or wearing a gun out in the open.    For me, tucked away is just fine. 

When I was younger, I had a glass gun cabinet, to show them off in the room they were in.  Maybe maturity makes me pull back, as now I only use gun safes. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:07:35 PM by Gary »