< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thoughts on an open carry gathering  (Read 5133 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Thoughts on an open carry gathering
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
his guy pretty much sums up my thoughts on open carry. 

Has anyone pointed out in this thread, open carry in Omaha is a horse of a different color from that of the rest of our state?

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »
When Ted Nugent speaks at gun rallies, would you rather he also have an AR15 over his shoulder, or do we attend such meetings, to hear what the leaders of the NRA have to say?

Should have Alex Jones went on CNN holding a gun, as well as being pissed?

I love gun shows, where guns are on display.  For a gun rally where gun owners are on display, speak softly, and carry a big sign does a better job in my mind.   

I pray the day never comes where I need to walk the streets, or my property line, for any reason, holding or wearing a gun out in the open.    For me, tucked away is just fine. 

When I was younger, I had a glass gun cabinet, to show them off in the room they were in.  Maybe maturity makes me pull back, as now I only use gun safes. 
It's about exercising rights so that they don't become privileges.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
What does everyone think about hiring some off duty, uniformed officers to provide security/attend one of these 2A/Open Carry picnics? It could be a way of looping in law enforcement and start changing their perspective. If we get OPD to stop viewing an OCer as an armed gunman, it seems like much of the trouble with OCing would be resolved.

I’m not so much worried about freaking some people out, as I am getting shot/thrown in the slammer by OPD.

I could be wrong and they don't see OCing that way...

Good idea, To make a point in a public park in Omaha that sounds cool, and have OPD with us. but yet again then we are cowering against unconsitutional laws, I would prefer to bring my business elsewhere that my rights are recognized. I would be agreeable to just hanging out honestly wherever as a group. I am easy, just dont tell my wife.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »
Good idea, To make a point in a public park in Omaha that sounds cool, and have OPD with us. but yet again then we are cowering against unconsitutional laws, I would prefer to bring my business elsewhere that my rights are recognized. I would be agreeable to just hanging out honestly wherever as a group. I am easy, just dont tell my wife.

Of course, most city parks in Omaha are posted as shooting galleries for criminals ... er, I mean gun-free zones ....

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »
Hell if you want local LEO's present, make the theme of the gathering a "Thank You to LEO's and their Families" picnic...with OC on the side  8).  Food, beverages and games for the kids.  Competitions for prizes, yada yada... Omaha parks probably not a good venue choice, most don't allow CC much less OC, but someplace just beyond city limits would work.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:36 PM »
Here is an open carry guy in wal mart making the check out persons day. 

For me the most disturbing thing in this video is the purchase of hot dogs, white bread, frosted flakes and full-sugar generic cola.  The bon vivant in me is more taken aback at his grocery choices than his open carry.   ;D
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
A few years ago the was an open carry gathering in Nebraska City that went very well - I think it was and apple festival or something. I was out of town and couldn't attend :(

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:05 AM »
I've been meaning to open carry once a week or once a month.  I have a fairly small route and most places I stop folks know me quite well.  I can even order fast food by saying "no ma'am, yes ma'am, thank you" (would you like to try X ? no ma'am.  Number etc ? Yes ma'am, thank you).  Thing is, I'd want to carry my s&w 357 ... but... I'm not as confident with it as I am my normal carry weapon... and I just can't seem to justify an OWB / belt clip holster for a weapon that I already have a crossbreed for heh.

Perhaps I'll just have to pick up a 357 mold and powder coat a bunch of bullets for it and get some practice in on it (right now I only shoot ~21 rounds out of it every time I go to the range... daddy loves her very much, it's like eating candy... don't wanna get too spoiled).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »
What does everyone think about hiring some off duty, uniformed officers to provide security/attend one of these 2A/Open Carry picnics? It could be a way of looping in law enforcement and start changing their perspective. If we get OPD to stop viewing an OCer as an armed gunman, it seems like much of the trouble with OCing would be resolved.

I’m not so much worried about freaking some people out, as I am getting shot/thrown in the slammer by OPD.

I could be wrong and they don't see OCing that way...

I kinda l that idea.  Now, I have never had a problem with ANY LEO whether I was armed or not, but I like the idea of getting them involved in an OC event.  I OC about 20% of my carry time, and have never had a problem from anyone, citizen or LEO.  I’d like to see OPD observe us as our partners and learn that we are not threats but citizens.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
A pretty popular video blogger, on open carry events.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:32:36 PM by Gary »

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Popular with who? All this guy does is says "I", "I", "I" - Frankly his opinion means squat to me. Especially when he goes into his mind reading blurbs about how people automatically assume you are drinking beer and being loud. Anybody that would take advice from this guy must really be hurting for good common sense info.

Since you are obviously in the same corner as this blowhard and just can't leave this alone - I (yes, I) suggest you actually attend an OC event and see how the participants act and watch the general public's reaction. Having attended several OC events in the past and not once seeing anything even close to what this guy is yammering about leads me to the conclusion that he is 100% F.O.S.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 11:37:18 PM »
Popular with who? All this guy does is says "I", "I", "I" - Frankly his opinion means squat to me. Especially when he goes into his mind reading blurbs about how people automatically assume you are drinking beer and being loud. Anybody that would take advice from this guy must really be hurting for good common sense info.

Since you are obviously in the same corner as this blowhard and just can't leave this alone - I (yes, I) suggest you actually attend an OC event and see how the participants act and watch the general public's reaction. Having attended several OC events in the past and not once seeing anything even close to what this guy is yammering about leads me to the conclusion that he is 100% F.O.S.

He is entertaining, for some.  I enjoy watching some of his videos. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:43:21 PM by Gary »

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »
what this guy is yammering about leads me to the conclusion that he is 100% F.O.S.

Didn't see anything quite wrong in that video. People not accustom to firearms can indeed be wary of a group of people openly carrying guns. It is not normal to see a group of people open carry.  It could even be difficult to understand why they would want to open carry at a picnic affair to many people. We have to understand that there are people out there that have no interest in firearms, fear firearms and don't want to see firearms. Pushing firearms on people (by a simple display of open carry en mass) that don't want to see firearms does nothing to make them more comfortable about the fact that there are people with opposing feelings. 

I recently viewed a video of men at a picnic sort of affair, guns everywhere and a number of them randomly firing a magazine of shots into the air...it was somewhat disturbing to me on a number of levels.  Would have been horrific to anyone uncomfortable with firearms.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
Here is that video...Eastern Europe....but may be the way some could view things.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
Thank you for your posts. 

I would rather go to a gun show than eat cake.   But a family outing in a park to display open carry, for no other reason than open carry would not be an event i would go to.  It it celebrated something like 1776, or the boston tea party, or something of that nature, then the guns would have a place, and i might go. 

Speaking of gun shows, next weekend, Kearney !

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »
Well, well, well, this is why we live in America so we can each share our ideas and as different as they are we still have some commonalities.
I guess this topic did not go over as I had planned; and that was to ask " lets have an open garry gathering what are your thoughts" not, "lets debate your idea of my freedoms" I am not trying to be rude to anyone who has a difference of opinion but I find the fact that we are actually arguing over whether we should OC at a pre-planned event supporting our rights, very troubling. One point I hope can all agree on is whether you OC or not neither stance we believe in will make folks that do not like guns, suddenly be comfortable with them. Its about excercising our rights and education to other Americans on theirs also.

Personally I cannot stand yankeemarshall, he is boring with poor production quality and I find myself questioning his opinions, much the same as sootch and james yeager

I recently viewed a video of men at a picnic sort of affair, guns everywhere and a number of them randomly firing a magazine of shots into the air...it was somewhat disturbing to me on a number of levels.  Would have been horrific to anyone uncomfortable with firearms.
How can you use this as a legitimate example. I find no coralation here to what we are discussing, they are slavic, and as you can see their culture is so much different than ours this comparison between some of us hosting an outing with possible LEO onsite and offduty and this boggles my mind.

Thank you for your posts. 

I would rather go to a gun show than eat cake.   But a family outing in a park to display open carry, for no other reason than open carry would not be an event i would go to.  It it celebrated something like 1776, or the boston tea party, or something of that nature, then the guns would have a place, and i might go. 

Speaking of gun shows, next weekend, Kearney !

I guess a I am not understanding your comment here. So you have no problem excercising your rights when its a patriotic event, but generally excercising your rights makes our beliefs as constitutional Americans scary when we gather at a park?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:22:46 PM by wusker »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
wusker, I have been following this thread and have been torn on the subject, as many that know and understand.  Yes there have been successful open carry events, but there have been many more open carry events that have caused negative responses.  So how do you have a positive event and not one that ends up limiting our rights?  That becomes the million dollar question.

First you must have clearly established goals for the event, what do you want to accomplish by it, are those goals reachable, is this the best or only way to accomplish those goals. 

Then comes the even more difficult part, organizing the event.  You must make certain that no laws are being violated, how will you assure that nobody that shows up is violating a law (if one person out of a thousand breaks a law the whole group/event is labled as such), how do you get people to attend/what is the draw.  These are all questions that need to be answered before even starting to work on something like this, and they take lots of planning and control, something that is more difficult to have than it sounds.

I have more questions than answers at this point, but if someone could come up with answers and a plan i would be open to listening.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
Well I guess AAllen, If it had been an idea that people were really excited for, this topic would have looked different but it seems alot dont wont the trouble of exactly what you mentioned following the laws, and organizing and I understand the apprehension. So my answer to your "how do we have a positive event, one that does not limit our rights" question is...we dont.

I will continue to come home from work and put my holster on and do things in the yard and get the mail, and take walks when the weather persists around my immediate neighborhood. I will excercise my rights, and I will continue to remain uninfringed as long as the law allows. Oh well life goes on.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »
I Agree with AAllen and some others

My thoughts .....Great Idea! ......Wrong time!.

Plus you need the Media to support it - Or it will never work. 
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Here's my $0.02.

Like most things, a gathering of individuals openly carrying firearms has the potential both for positive and negative outcomes.  Even with the "support" of certain media outlets there is a real possibility of negative media coverage.

To everything there is a season ....