< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Many of us know him.....  (Read 3676 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Many of us know him.....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
Don't know him. Kind of glad I don't actually.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
Don't know him. Kind of glad I don't actually.

You KNOW that the  ATF & the Feds will be investigating everyone in his family, everyone at the church he attends (if he does), all of his friends and even distant relatives, and they will probably force him to name everyone he has sold a weapon to.  Those folks and anyone connected to them will also be investigated.   IF he was a member of NOFA then that will be the excuse to investigate everyone associated with  this forum.

I'm not sympathetic.  He brought it on himself by violating the law.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:43 AM »
probably force him to name everyone he has sold a weapon to

That is an interesting comment.  Hope he has a good memory for the number of years he was a "legal" FFL.  I can't remember what I had for breakfast.  I suppose they could and may go through ALL of the 4473 he has.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:56:24 AM »
That is an interesting comment.  Hope he has a good memory for the number of years he was a "legal" FFL.  I can't remember what I had for breakfast.  I suppose they could and may go through ALL of the 4473 he has.

And remember- this is all alleged until (or if) he is convicted.

And if they do go through all  the 4473s, that would be one of the few occasions that there would be a possibility of prosecuting someone who lied on the form....

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
Hope he has a good memory

Or, they promise to "cut a deal"  (which they can always find excuses to renege on) and he starts pulling names out of his ....

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
I can't read the link - not a paid journal star member. :(

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »
I can't read the link - not a paid journal star member. :(

Just clear the cookies from your computer and you are good to go.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »
The first couple of paragraphs of the article (Journal Star, By JONATHAN EDWARDS and LORI PILGER) , so we know what/who we are talking about:

A Lincoln man illegally trafficked hundreds of guns -- some to felons -- out of his southeast Lincoln home before federal agents whisked away more than 650 firearms last month, an ATF agent said.

Documents unsealed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Omaha laid out the feds' case against Ashley Gerbig, 35, just as the national debate over loopholes on gun sales heated up in Washington.

The fervor over tighter gun controls was not lost on the judge when Gerbig made his first court appearance March 20, a day after agents seized an arsenal of 678 firearms including rifles, handguns, shotguns and AR-15s.

Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also took 13 grenades, mortar rounds and other explosives from Gerbig's one-story brick home at 6209 Deerwood Drive.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:38:17 AM by AAllen »

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »
COUNT III
On or about January 25,2013, in the District ofNebraska, ASHLEY F. GERBIG, the
8:13-cr-00083-LSC-FG3 Doc # 1 Filed: 03/18/13 Page 1 of 3 - Page ID # 1
Defendant herein, knowingly sold ammunition, to a confidential informant, knowing and having
reasonable cause to believe that said confidential informant had been convicted of a crime
punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, in violation ofTitle 18, United States
Code, Sections 922(d) and 924(a)(2).

Im no legal scholar, and maybe I am not understanding the law on ammo purchases.  BUT, does wally world check to make sure that each customer that purchases ammo from them has not been imprisoned for a term exceeding one year, in violation of Title 18??   (whatever that means - I am guessing a felony charge??)

66bigblock

Source:  US District Court of Nebraska, ASHLEY F. GERBIG, the

http://journalstar.com/pdf-ashley-gerbig-s-indictment/pdf_313f0149-463a-5595-a27c-d5d778cad85c.html
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »
COUNT III
On or about January 25,2013, in the District ofNebraska, ASHLEY F. GERBIG, the
Defendant herein, knowingly sold ammunition, to a confidential informant, knowing and having
reasonable cause to believe that said confidential informant had been convicted of a crime
punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, in violation ofTitle 18, United States
Code, Sections 922(d) and 924(a)(2).

Im no legal scholar, and maybe I am not understanding the law on ammo purchases.  BUT, does wally world check to make sure that each customer that purchases ammo from them has not been imprisoned for a term exceeding one year[...]

There is a meaningful difference between purposefully or knowingly selling ammo to a felon (what the feds are claiming here) and unwittingly selling ammo to a felon. The feds aren't claiming that this gentleman failed to check whether his buyer was a felon. They are claiming that he had knowledge that his buyer was a felon and sold to him anyway.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
Not sure how it works, but if Ashley lost his license/was not approved for one, whatever... what were they supposed to do with the LARGE inventory they had at the time?  They always had at least a dozen tables full of guns at gun shows back a few years ago.

They sold a ton of guns on Gunbroker too.  This should be interesting to see how it all plays out.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:54:13 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:30:32 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Didn't he lose his FFL a while back?  He used to have an address over on Cotner that was listed as his business address even though he didn't actually have anything there.  IIRC that was a factor in getting it yanked.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »
Interestingly FarmerRick when you read the indictment is simply revolves around 6 counts selling to a known (Ashley knew according to reports) felon.  All of the other sales, etc online does not appear to be on the radar scope.....yet.  Those maybe harder to prove so they go with what they have.  A potential 10 years a pop ain't favorable for a 35 year old male.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
Doesn't sound good at this point- charging sales tax on  "personal collection" sales. Although I do recall hearing somewhere that even people selling junk at a garage sale are supposed to collect sales tax........also allegedly selling to someone who allegedly said they are a felon....

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »
Doesn't sound good at this point- charging sales tax on  "personal collection" sales.

It sounds like that is probably the first domino to fall.  Somebody got pissy about paying sales tax and turned him in for that.  The rest is soon to be history...

66bigblock

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »
This is victim-blaming. Violating an unjust law is not blameworthy. Enforcing an unjust law is blameworthy.

I'll just have to disagree with you.

As a Christian I believe that the powers that be are ordained by God.   I also believe in "2nd Amendment carry", which means that according to the 2nd Amendment, which shall not be infringed, I believe I have a Constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon where ever and when ever I want without government approval. For the first 40 years of my life I was able to do that.    BUT, I KNOW that under current laws, right or wrong, that if I carry a firearm, concealed or not, into a place of worship, a bank, courtroom, etc..., and I'm arrested, then I brought that trouble down on myself.

What about unjust laws?  It is said that the Supreme Court power of judicial review is one barrier against unjust laws, but a person can lose all of their property, wealth and be imprisoned for years after being convicted of violating an unjust law, and even then there is no guarantee that the SCOTUS would agree to hear his case.   The Dred Scott decision is an example of relying on the SCOTUS to correct an unjust law.

It is also said that the Jury is the most powerful force against unjust laws.
http://www.leaderherald.com/page/content.detail/id/550642/Jurors-can-protect-people-from-unjust-laws.html?nav=5008
In the case of U.S. vs. Dougherty 1972, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia said that the jury has an "unreviewable and irreversible power - to acquit in disregard of the instructions on the law given by the trial judge..."

Also in 1804, Samuel Chase, Supreme Court justice and signer of the Declaration of Independence, said, "The jury has the right to judge both the law and the facts."

What all this means is that a single juror has the ability to nullify a law that they find unfair or unconstitutional by casting their vote of not guilty. If a juror feels that a law is contrary to their beliefs or infringes upon another's God-given rights, it is within their rights to refuse to convict the defendant even if they have technically broken the law. In a trial, the decision of the jury must be unanimous in order to convict a defendant. If just one juror refuses to vote guilty, then it is considered a hung jury and the case is dismissed.

But, that is fraught with frailties as well.  Jury selection processes don't always end up selecting the most informed and schooled individuals in what is right and/or Constitutional.  In fact, during the last 40 years the definition of "right" and the meaning of phrases in the Constitution have been undergoing a seismic shift in which day has become night, and wrong has become right.  And even greater shifts are on the horizon.  The video which showed a guy going around asking people to sign a petition that would repeal the 2nd Amendment  showed in all of its horrific implications how little people knew of the Constitution or of the issues of gun control. And those people vote.  They also set on juries.

So, when or if it is proven that he knowingly violated the current law regarding selling firearms to convicted felons, then he has asked for the troubles he is now in. Otherwise, how can we make the claim that the proposed gun laws restrict freedoms of "law abiding" citizens like you and me if we willingly violate the current laws on the books?

I can and am fighting against unjust laws to the best of my ability without breaking any laws.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:37:00 AM by GreyGeek »

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
I am surprised to hear this....I've talked to both Stan & Ashley on different ocassions years back at gun shows.  In fact I bought a new PT-25 from Ashley back in 2003.  As far as I know, they were running a legitimate and I might add a "fine" business...back then.   Based on what I read in the article, I think it is a matter of poor judgement/decision making by Ashley....which seems to me to be totally out of character.  Like the neighbor in the article said, they were (are) nice people.  I wish the family well in getting through this troubled time.   
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
Not sure how it works, but if Ashley lost his license/was not approved for one, whatever... what were they supposed to do with the LARGE inventory they had at the time?  They always had at least a dozen tables full of guns at gun shows back a few years ago.

They sold a ton of guns on Gunbroker too.  This should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

When he lost his license back in 2010, I remember Ashley taking large amounts of inventory to other dealers and possibly back to wholesalers......

I used to deal with him for many purchases a while back when they had their FFL.... After that was pulled I thought he was out of business, hoping to someday get back in (reapplying for a new license)...... Didn't know he was still in the business this way