< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Revamped Gun Control Measure Passed Senate 68-31  (Read 2360 times)

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Revamped Gun Control Measure Passed Senate 68-31
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
Especially if they interpret that section to include even people living with or under the same roof as a gun owner.

Don't you imagine that is exactly the purpose? (Newtown)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »
Don't you imagine that is exactly the purpose? (Newtown)

Of course.  But it also gives them an  excuse to make the States force  FFLs to report 4473 info to  the NICS or risk losing Federal funding.  With that info they have their national gun registration.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
I am reposting this here as an update on S. 649, we have four major competing intrests/groups involved with S. 649.

First is the Anti-gunners version from Chuck Schumer that we all know we oppose but is what has been brought up for discussion.

Next is an NRA bill that they have worked with Senator Grassley et al to write, this is expected to be brought forward as an amendment to S. 649 along with several other competing interests.  While this does not appear to be a bas bill from what I'm hearing it does not have a chance, but some features could be added to whatever comes out as a final bill.

Then we have the GOA stance which is any bill is bad, not that I disagree but it seems that horse has left the stable with last weeks vote to move forward on a bill.  If this bill goes wrong and infringes upon our rights everyone may come running to their position, but it may be too late.

And now we have the Toomey-Manchin bill/amendment that the CCRKBA has been involved in that seems to have the approval of Schumer (making it a friendly amendment so it has a lot better chance of being adopted than the NRA bill/amendment).  Before commenting too much I request that folks read the proposal for themselves, it is available in its entirety here:  http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/posted-full-text-public-safety-and-second-amendment-rights-protection-act_716249.HTML 

Where this is going it is still too early to tell, but it looks like the Toomey-Manchin bill has a chance.  From reading the bill it also does not appear that it will harm us and will in fact protect us.  I do have questions on the gun show portion on how it would be implemented but it sounds like any private sales at a gunshow (or over the internet, but only at these times) would need to go through an FFL.  The internet sales already do (at least if it is over state lines), and it does not appear to be a major hurdle for those selling a gun that they privately own at a gunshow.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:29:05 AM by AAllen »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »
I am reposting this here as an update on S. 649, we have four major competing intrests/groups involved with S. 649.

First is the Anti-gunners version from Chuck Schumer that we all know we oppose but is what has been brought up for discussion.

Next is an NRA bill that they have worked with Senator Grassley et al to write, this is expected to be brought forward as an amendment to S. 649 along with several other competing interests.  While this does not appear to be a bas bill from what I'm hearing it does not have a chance, but some features could be added to whatever comes out as a final bill.

Then we have the GOA stance which is any bill is bad, not that I disagree but it seems that horse has left the stable with last weeks vote to move forward on a bill.  If this bill goes wrong and infringes upon our rights everyone may come running to their position, but it may be too late.

And now we have the Toomey-Manchin bill/amendment that the CCRKBA has been involved in that seems to have the approval of Schumer (making it a friendly amendment so it has a lot better chance of being adopted than the NRA bill/amendment).  Before commenting too much I request that folks read the proposal for themselves, it is available in its entirety here:  http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/posted-full-text-public-safety-and-second-amendment-rights-protection-act_716249.html. 

Where this is going it is still too early to tell, but it looks like the Toomey-Manchin bill has a chance.  From reading the bill it also does not appear that it will harm us and will in fact protect us.  I do have questions on the gun show portion on how it would be implemented but it sounds like any private sales at a gunshow (or over the internet, but only at these times) would need to go through an FFL.  The internet sales already do (at least if it is over state lines), and it does not appear to be a major hurdle for those selling a gun that they privately own at a gunshow.

Link not working: "page not found".
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Remove the period from the end of the URL and it works.