< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Look what feds say the law is now!  (Read 888 times)

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
Look what feds say the law is now!
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:55:37 AM »
Look at F below.
It is now illegal to own a semi-automatic assault weapon manufactured AFTER Oct 1 1993
I am now a felon x 2.

www.justice.gov/usao/ut/psn/documents/guncard.pdf

VI. KNOWINGLY POSSESS OR MANUFACTURE:
18 USC § 922(k), (o) & (v); 26 USC § 5861. Punishable by up to 5 or 10 years imprisonment, depending upon specific violation.
A. Any machine gun, fully automatic firearm or any part designed or intended exclusively for use in such weapon;
B. Any firearm silencer, including any device, or part thereof, designed to silence, muffle or diminish the report of a firearm;
C. Sawed-off shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18" or overall length less than 26";
D. Sawed-off rifle with a barrel length of less than 16" or overall length less than 26";
E. Destructive device;
F. Semi-automatic assault weapon manufactured after :o  October 1, 1993; OR
G. Any firearm which lacks a serial number or contains an altered or obliterated serial number.

As a republic, we are DOOMED!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Look what feds say the law is now!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
Semi-automatic ban was apart of the '94 ban (hr3355).  It's gone away.

edit: ie: it's an old thing floating around that don't apply no more and just hasn't been updated.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:33:09 AM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
Semi-automatic ban was apart of the '94 ban (hr3355).  It's gone away.

edit: ie: it's an old thing floating around that don't apply no more and just hasn't been updated.

Unfy,
Got this from the justice dept web site last night. What you are missing here is that it says "after" 1993 which is when the assualt weapons ban was repealed. It should say "before" which would be while the ban was in affect. Of course I know that other than the military, most government employees are dumb as bricks, so why would I expect them to get their web site updated correctly. SGBU

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »
Got this from the justice dept web site last night. What you are missing here is that it says "after" 1993 which is when the assualt weapons ban was repealed. It should say "before" which would be while the ban was in affect. Of course I know that other than the military, most government employees are dumb as bricks, so why would I expect them to get their web site updated correctly. SGBU

Uhhmmm ...The AWB passed in 1994 and was ended in 2004 by sunset provisions within the legislation
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
Don't mind DangerousDrummer, he's been sniffing too many powder coat fumes.... :D

It really is just an old document that has been forgotten about / lost in the shuffle.  Happens all the time... but you'd think gov't stuff would make that a big no no, let alone something that's over 8 years out of date and could lead to false charges/fines heh.

If you look at 18 USC § 922(k), (o) & (v); 26 USC § 5861, you'll find no such reference to semi auto ban etc.

And, assuming it was 1994-2004ish when this thing was created (i didn't actualy check the details contained within the pdf like creation date etc) ... then the wording that any SA rifle made AFTER 1993 is banned is correct (ie: they grandfathered in the existing stuff).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
then the wording that any SA rifle made AFTER 1993 is banned is correct (ie: they grandfathered in the existing stuff).

No, that's not right either...I built a ban compliant AR15 semi auto in 2002. The Federal "Assault Weapons" ban was on certain EVIL FEATURES...features like a bayonet lug, collapsible stock or a flash hider, not on the action type
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
It's helpful to remember that the internet is an archive.