< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My Trip to Lincoln  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
My Trip to Lincoln
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »
On Tuesday I went out to Lincoln because Neeco told me that there was a range out there that sold range brass.  Good reason to go I said (been haunting GB trying to find 9mm brass on the cleap for the last 2 months, dam those guys want a lot), got permission from the wife to spend a little of our petty cash, grabbed my 20 y/o son and off we went!

First of all, my oldest son just got himself a brand new 2013 Dodge Avenger, so I yelled ROAD TRIP!!  I had to buy gas and lunch (and everything else it turned out).  20 y/o and finances a brand new car all on his own, talk about a responsible kid!  Wish they were all like that.  :(

Anyway, we loaded up the GPS with the address to Big Shots range and after several wrong turns (I was driving, it was MY gas after all) we get there.  I send the kid to the door to read the notices as I got everything out of the car, and he comes back with the "Gun allowed, must be cased" story.  A range?  Naw, no way!  So with hands full I went to the door myself and commenced to read.  OK, new story, CCW allowed, with permit.  I'm good to go, but my carry weapon is already in the case next to my brand new Nano (more on that later).

O.M.G.!!!  If you have never been there, GO, NOW!!  I don’t care if you are in Alaska, it’s worth the trip to any real gun-guy or gal.  I have been to many ranges in my 50+ years, but have NEVER seen a place like this.  Beautiful, clean, fresh scent, open airy lobby / display area, looks like a brand new car complete with the new car scent!  Greeted coming in the door by Steve, welcomed to the range, was advised they were a bit short staffed today so it may be a minute before he can assist me.  No big deal, to busy looking around anyway. 

Steve catches up with me and begins to bug me about all the drool on the floor (no, not really, but he did have to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention).  Asks me if I had ever been there before, to which the answer was obviously on my face but him being a polite kind of guy asks anyway.  Nope I said.

I tell him about what my bud at the NFOA said and he answers in the affirmative, they sell range brass, but they were short staffed on Monday (their usual sorting day) and may not have the 500 9mm’s I was looking for.  OK, I can deal, sad to hear, but I’m still busy wiping the drool off my face.  So I ask about range time.  Dumb question.  1pm on a Tuesday?  Lots of open bays!  Gotta do the “safety video and sign the release of liability" thing, and get some ammo.  Yep, they have 9mm in stock ($18.50 a box for PMC), kinda disappointed with the price but anxious to get the Nano putting lead down range. 

Finish up the paper work, and we head to the range.  Wow, they have an actual R/O safety guy in the bays, and he is sweeping up brass between questions and giving advice!  No stepping on other people’s casings!  That’s a big one for me, I always worry about turning an ankle if I have to walk on other people’s brass that has been piling up all day. 

Cant remember the R/O’s name, but a real nice guy.  Shows me how to work the equipment, shows me where to table my case and ammo (and cell, and e-cig, and…).  Get to the lane, run out the target, load one up, and commence to firing.  First ever rounds through the new Baretta Nano.  Another OMG moment, longest trigger pull I have ever experienced.  Felt like I was dragging that thing out of a pit somewhere.  Maybe 8lb’s, but smooth, and frigging LONG.  BANG!  2 inches high at 6 yards.  NTB for a micro gun.  Bang the rest of the 6 rounds out of the mag, pretty consistently high.  Gonna have to see what I can do about that one of these days.

Fire off a box between my son and I (remember him?  He thought I had forgot about him, what a dork).  Decided to just use up the one box and save the other for another day.  The R/O helped me pick up my expended brass!  It’s a FULL SERVICE STATION FOLKS!  Remember those?

Good time, short but good.  Ended up spending about double what I had told the wife I was intending (dog house time), but still worth the trip.  And guess what, they had gone in the back and set me up with 500 cases while I was on the range.  Smiles all around!

Anyway, wanted to thank Neeco for putting me onto Big Shots, a real first class establishment.  AND they sell range shells, far cheaper than you can get them on GB ($5 per 100 9mm, $12.00 per 100 223).  It’s a long drive to go to an indoor range, and I am a member of the ENGC, so I most likely wont go back, but dam that was a good day!

Ron

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:42:49 AM by Ronvandyn »
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: My Trip to Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »
Nice place, and nice people.

I feel your pain, about the long drive.  I am 3 blocks away at 1st & O street.  Breaks my heart to have to drive so far each day.  lol

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Maybe 8lb’s, but smooth, and frigging LONG.  BANG!  2 inches high at 6 yards.  NTB for a micro gun.  Bang the rest of the 6 rounds out of the mag, pretty consistently high.  Gonna have to see what I can do about that one of these days.

My CCW is a Nano.  I LOVE IT!    But, the trigger pull is LOOOOONNNNNGGG!   I have big hands.  Normally a trigger would release before the big knuckle on my index finger reached 90 degrees.  My finger has to make, I'd swear, a 120 degree move before BANG!   I think I'll be putting a pad on the back of the grip.  Probably an additional 1/2".

I read somewhere that the Nano's are factory sighted to be 2" high at 50 yrds and will be 3.7" low at 100 yds.   That corresponds with my experience.  From a bench rest the bullet hits where it should based on the sight picture.   Off hand is another matter. :-[    But, I'm practicing!

Early consumer use revealed that rounds of 115 gr or less do not cycle the weapon reliably and can cause FTEs.  Beretta recommends that 124 gr be the lightest bullet weight to use.   I started shooting 147 gr rounds and had 3 FTEs, which my instructor identified as a limp wrist.  Since correcting that I have never had an FTE and I've dropped down to 124 gr because of the higher velocity and flatter trajectory.

Here is a video of a guy shooting it at a mansize target at 100 yrds, using 50 rounds.  He got 13 on the black and 19 on the paper, off hand.
http://youtu.be/kyuWRpC7mlQ?t=13m35s

Here's the same guy getting 6 out of 6 on target at 100 yrds
http://youtu.be/CbF5oxsdrMY?t=10m16s

Here's one of a guy throwing 40 rounds at a 5 yard target:
http://youtu.be/pR2cOtkCbYY?t=2m50s

Personally, I find the Nano easy to conceal.  I've carried it in my right front pants pocket without painting, in the pockets of three different jackets/coats, IWB and OWB.   The leather holster designed for the LaserMax is a little more bulky OWB, but not enough to give printing problems.  It's a sneaky little gun with a lot of punch!

P.S. -- After trying the LaserMax I've coming to the opinion that it is unnecessary.  In daylight it is hard to see the point of light.  Red is not as bright as green.   In the dark it is hard to see the target, the laser not adding enough light to the scene.  At 30 yds in  the daylight it is impossible to see the red dot on the target, and when you do locate it all it shows is how shaky your hand is.   I don't need any evidence of that.  But, YMMV, and some people do like it.   If you are one of those people and would like the LaserMax, and the leather holster that is needed, drop me a msg.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:13:29 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
Glad you made the trip Ron! Great folks over there. 

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17:52 AM »
The RSO might have been Jeremy and if it was yeah hes a real nice guy. We live less than five minutes away and tonight is date night at the range which means it costs less on range time with the wifey.  Heres a thought you might want to post this on their feacebook page I am sure they would love to hear what you have told the rest of us.

Bigshots Indoor range facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/BigShotsRange?fref=ts
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:23:47 AM by wusker »

Offline tackle8

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
I went to Big Shots for the first time last month.  I echo your experience.  Fantastic range!!!  Fantastic employees!!  Big Shots is now my favorite range, and I have already started spreading the word.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
We have a big time at Big Shots! (New slogan maybe???)

On Tuesday nights, we have a IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) league.  Its not like a bowling league, but we call it my bowling night at my  house.  Anyway, we have taken some time off so we could regroup and do some family things but we start back on April 23 every other week.  Check the website of Big Shots for the schedule.  Big shots is a quality joint.  We love it.  Great employees and owners. Jim and Teri are good people. They also have a USPSA league on Wednesday night.  Another fun time, I am told. 

See ya on the range!
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
i was there once.  it was fun.  they allowed all my NFA toys there.... even the Serbu (with buckshot).
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
I really like the Nano, I just have not had enough range time with it to use it as my primary carry.  I got rid of my last 9mm in the 90’s and have branched out to other calibers since then.  I wanted to go back because they are making them much smaller now than then, and I have a CHP.  It also fits my ankle holster really well, and I had 2 380 auto’s and didn’t need both.

I currently carry an XD-40sc, but with dress clothing its just a tad bulky.  The 380’s are usually best as a last resort in my opinion, which is why I opted for a small 9 (and I want to get the wife to start going to the range with me, so the 380 will be her's).  Of the 3 I was looking at (LC9, Nano, and the Walther PPS), the Nano was the mid-range in price, has just as many good reviews as the other two, and I got a pretty good deal on it.  Went with the Nano.

It will take some time to get use to that long trigger pull, but muzzle flip is minimal (far better than my 40 shooting 180gr rounds) and the rumored issues during break in didn’t come up during the one time I have had it at the range.  Worked flawlessly for me, my son limp wristed it into an FTE once, but he does not have my experience.  And I like the idea that the sights are user replaceable without much fuss.  The 3-dot white dot system does not work well with my fading from getting older vision, and rather than buy a tiny bottle of hunters orange paint I might go with some F/O sites if they are available. 

One other reason for getting a 9mm is that I am getting bored reloading all the other stuff I have, time to start a new production line.  I got a new Lee turret press for Xmas and am looking forward to setting up the new press for the 9.

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
It also fits my ankle holster really well

How does that feel walking around, and is there any tendency to print?

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
How does that feel walking around, and is there any tendency to print?

No printing, but that is going to depend on the holster more than the gun I think.  I use an Uncle Mikes #16 with the calf strap and usually wear some comfortable pants.  Cargo pants mostly.  Works great.  As for walking, took me a while to get use to having the extra weight on one side (been a long time since I used an ankle holster) but you get use to it. 

Ron

KC0MXX

Offline Lindy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
I just moved to Lincoln and recently went to Big Shots as well.  First trip and wound up getting a membership!

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
Early consumer use revealed that rounds of 115 gr or less do not cycle the weapon reliably and can cause FTEs.  Beretta recommends that 124 gr be the lightest bullet weight to use.   I started shooting 147 gr rounds and had 3 FTEs, which my instructor identified as a limp wrist.  Since correcting that I have never had an FTE and I've dropped down to 124 gr because of the higher velocity and flatter trajectory.

Here is a recipe that I ran through the Nano today.  No FTF’s or FTE’s, ran smooth as silk.  The bullets are from Missouri Bullet.  Alliant Power shows max load for this powder as 4.7 grains with a velocity of 1144fps.  I try not to shoot lead at more than 1000fps due to leading the barrel, so I went with an 80% of max as the first test load.  I also loaded a 10 shot run at 3.9g of powder and they also worked just fine.  For target practice this works for me.  You might give it a try, didn’t have any problems what-so-ever with the light bullet weight.

Ron

Caliber   9mm      
Bullet   RN Lead   Weight   115g
Powder   Bullseye   Weight   3.7g
Primer   CCI 500   Case   Generic
KC0MXX