< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: TWO EXPLOSIONS - Boston Marathon  (Read 3625 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
TWO EXPLOSIONS - Boston Marathon
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
At about 300pm EDT, 2 explosions occurred near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  Initial reports place the origin of the explosions in a Starbucks with crowds of people on the sidewalk watching the runners pass.  Multiple injured - local hospitals responding for mass casualty event.

Ongoing news reports - all channels....   

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: TWO EXPLOSIONS - Boston Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
Yeah, and our VP really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

Just as he learned about it and then talks to press he says "two bombs"... when at that time it was totally unknown what it was etc.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
All in favor of arresting Bill Ayres, and all his known accomplice's, till this is figured out, raise your hands. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ayers

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
Aye.....(raises hand)

;-)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
I wonder how much freedom we'll lose after this one... Now, every time an attack happens, my first instinct is to wonder what it's going to cost me in terms of freedom.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »
From the videos showing the first blast, near the finish line, I've located the location of the bomb blast.
http://goo.gl/maps/og0dL

[EDITED -- used short url to eliminate wide display, and shortened discription]
The FINISH line (Yellow band, blue  letters) is a few feet down the street from  the location of the bomb.    As best I can place  it the bomb was inside a trash  can  in front of the building with the words "Sale" on the front glass.   

It looks like a "Tannerite" type explosion, based on the color of the fireball and the amount of smoke.   Tannerite can set off with a .22 weapon under certain conditions I won't describe.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:08:15 AM by GreyGeek »

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
Wow, thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims, going to be a long night for local law enforcment and EMS/ hospital crews.
What the heck is wrong with our world

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
I wonder how much freedom we'll lose after this one... Now, every time an attack happens, my first instinct is to wonder what it's going to cost me in terms of freedom.

My first reaction was, thank goodness this attack was not gun related.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »
I made standard calls to family in the area, all good from my end of things. Yay.

Poor folks that have been caught by all this :(.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
I hope everyone's friends and family members are OK.

I read that there was a 3rd blast at the JFK Library. No injuries reported so far (let's hope this doesn't change). I also read that they have located other "suspicious packages" near subway locations.

I know none of us have any clue what's going on, but my first thought was that today is the birthday of the founder of North Korea. I hope its not related.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
Boston PD reporting finding at least one additional device in a trash can along the race course. 
Eye-witness photos being posted on multiple news site, some of which are quite graphic.
Cell service has been terminated in the area due to possible additional devices that may be cell signal triggered.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »
Sad deal.

I'm wondering how our wonderful government will used this event to take away even more of our rights.  You know they'll try.   :(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

It looks like a "Tannerite" type explosion, based on the color of the fireball and the amount of smoke.   Tannerite can set off with a .22 weapon under certain conditions I won't describe.

You shut yo mouth mister !  I am trying to by some in bulk for this summer's festivities.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 06:37:26 PM »
You shut yo mouth mister !  I am trying to by some in bulk for this summer's festivities.

They make some specifically for .22.

On topic, first thing I also thought was that I'm glad it wasn't a gun.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »

On topic, first thing I also thought was that I'm glad it wasn't a gun.

Like you dont think they will say they found one on the guy they pin this on???

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

Like you dont think they will say they found one on the guy they pin this on???

66bigblock

AND OF COURSE he will have bought it using the gunshow loophole...

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »

AND OF COURSE he will have bought it using the gunshow loophole...

66bigblock
and he'll be a member of the Tea party.

Offline DJSIMS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
Very very sad, my fear is that we will never know the truth, only the truth that we are told. while the fact is that Americans died again, regardless of the regime claims that Oscumma ended terrorism, interesting that in his address, he did NOT even mention terrorism. May God be with the families.
Having a CCW is like a seat belt in a car, a hassle to put on and uncomfortable to wear, you pray you never need it but thank God for it if you do. It is there to protect yourself and your family the only difference is a seatbelt is MANDATORY by law!! ~ Me
Former USMC, NRA life member, NAGR, GOA

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:59 AM »
I'm wondering how our wonderful government will used this event to take away even more of our rights. 

I have little doubt that they will try.   We usually watch GMA in the morning because it is more entertainment than  news, but this morning the first thing George and Josh did was to tie the bombing into Newtown.   They never waste an opportunity to spin the news.   

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
This image shows the blast scene of the first explosion from above.  You can see the dark spot where the bomb went off.
It is between the elliptical blood splatter on the walk and the streak of white material against the building.

I've seen bomb residue similar to the white stuff before.   When a Zinc and Sulfur mixture is ignited, and it takes only
a small electrical wire glowing red hot from a battery short circuit to set it off, a large amount of cloudy white Zinc Sulfide
powder is created.  Most will rise into the air, but sometimes the explosion will blow some of the unburned mixture out
against objects.

In another case Tannerite that has too much Aluminum dust can cause the dust to discolor surrounding objects in the same way.
Tannerite explosions usually have an orange tint to the cloud.   Also, Potassium Nitrate and Aluminum powder create what is
called "flash powder".   It can be used as a primary explosive, set off by a .22, to trigger Tannerite.   But it, too, can be used
as the explosive charge and if the perp over did the Aluminum the amount of cloud and white dust covering objects will
be greater.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/15/article-2309563-19505F4D000005DC-61_634x388.jpg