< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Rent-a-cops consider magazine suspicious  (Read 1893 times)

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
Rent-a-cops consider magazine suspicious
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
So I went down to the DMV today to pay for registration and get my tags.  First off, this is in Dodge County....Fremont, and occassionally they have rent-a-cops there that make you take everything out of your pockets and walked through a metal detector before entering to make sure you don't bring any weapons inside the building.  The last time I checked it was signal 88 that was working.  I didn't really pay attention today, but I believe that was who was there today.  So anyways I locked my pistol up in my truck and walked in to see that they were there today.  One guy asked me to empty my pockets then take my coat and belt off and put them through the scanner.  Now I carry a spare glock 17 magazine with me in a coat pocket, which I had taken out and put in the tray and really didn't think anything of it.  After the tray with the contents of my pockets went through the scanner I hear the one guy say to the other, "this guy has a clip, that's a clip right there."  The other guy picks it up, looks at it, and comments, "That's for a glock", as he sets it on top of the scanner.  Then he looks at me and asks, "where's the gun."  I replied, "it's in my vehicle."  (I wish I would have just said it's not on my person, but that was after thought).  So after picking up the rest of my things from the tray I asked, "can I get that back or..."  Then the guy says, "you can have it back when you leave." 

I shook my head and went in to register my vehicle and came back out to grab the magazine and left the building.  Maybe I shouldn't think twice about this situation but there are a couple things here that bother me. 
1.  What was it that they found dangerous about that magazine that they thought it was necessary to hold onto my property?  I was allowed to take my flashlight and keys into the building. 
2.  The way he asked me "where is the gun."  Hello, I just gave you my coat, belt, the contents of my pockets, and then walked through a metal detector, it's obviously not on my person, so what is it any of this guys business where I store my guns. 
And 3.  The first guy called my magazine a clip.... common

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Rent-a-cops consider magazine suspicious
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
Last things first.  Magazine and clip are all the same in todays lingo. I am old enough to remember the term GAY meaning enjoying the dance.   Words slide over time, and what was a magazine 30years ago, in todays  couture is more likely to be called a mag or a clip.   I do the same thing.    Get used to it.

The glock mag, in your pocket, walking into a courthouse.  OOPS.  Error in good judgment.  Loaded mag?   I am surprised you did not end up with a LEO and a set of handcuffs, while they searched your car.    One day after a bombing in Boston, tensions are running high, and check point staff I am sure are under orders to flag anything out of place.  Walking into a courthouse with a loaded mag would be cause for concern.     
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:57:08 PM by Gary »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
I assume the DMV is in the court house thus the metal detector.  I think you handled it fine and wouldn't sweat it.  I suppose semantics otherwise in answering where your HG is/was as long as it does not go past their metal detector. 
Several years ago went through a similar situation at the old courthouse in Saunders Co.  Secured my HG in my vehicle, but "surrendered" my knives and magazines at the metal detector.  Took care of my business and gave me back my stuff no questions asked.  I understand securing the knives as they can be construed as a weapon.  The ammo....I guess no problem.  Presently when I have to go down and register, etc I just leave everything in the car to save the "hassle" although I know the guys at the metal detector.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
Last things first.  Magazine and clip are all the same in todays lingo. I am old enough to remember the term GAY meaning enjoying the dance.   Words slide over time, and what was a magazine 30years ago, in todays  couture is more likely to be called a mag or a clip.   I do the same thing.    Get used to it.

The glock mag, in your pocket, walking into a courthouse.  OOPS.  Error in good judgment.  Loaded mag?   I am surprised you did not end up with a LEO and a set of handcuffs, while they searched your car.    One day after a bombing in Boston, tensions are running high, and check point staff I am sure are under orders to flag anything out of place.  Walking into a courthouse with a loaded mag would be cause for concern.     
Words have meaning. Use them correctly. A mag isn't a gun and no crime was committed. I believe that the security guard's mission is to stop guns, knives, etc. If it isn't a gun, a knife, or a bomb, they probably shouldn't be taking it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:14:06 PM by NENick »

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
Yes DMV is in the courthouse, and yes it was loaded (what good is an unloaded magazine?).  I always think to myself after going through this that before going in next time I will just empty my pockets and everything before going in, but always manage to forget the next time.  After locking up my handgun, I didn't think twice about what was in my pockets and really didn't think twice when I put the magazine in the tray.  What am I going to do with a magazine? 

Handcuffs and my vehicle searched?  For what?  I can't imagine this would warrant that.  I would have definitely been very upset to say the least if that would have happened. 

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
Handcuffs and my vehicle searched?  For what?  I can't imagine this would warrant that.  I would have definitely been very upset to say the least if that would have happened. 

As would have been at least most of the members of NFOA.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I once had my keyring held while I was inside because it had a small knife on it. I didn't care at the time. Granted, there was no reason for them to keep it, but at the same time, he was polite, told me I'd get it back when I left and obviously I didn't want to make anyone nervous, etc.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

Ah, the "many people do it, so even if it is wrong, just let it go" way of thinking.

Nope. 

If people can't even use the right terminology, that tells me something about their level of knowledge and expertise.   If they know better and still use incorrect terminology, that tells me they are sloppy thinkers, and that's important to know also.

And yet---nothing illegal.  And if someone in law enforcement was actually STUPID enough to consider that even remotely justifies a search of a vehicle not nearby, then their particular department deserves the significant hit they are going to take in court for it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but there isn't anything illegal about having a magazine in your pocket, and your comments above just don't make ANY sense from a legal perspective.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

Well to answer your question........
(Just think about it with out going D'oh! )

Technically you were carring an Explosive device into a restricted area.
Bullets (Rounds) don't need a Gun or Firearm to set them off ......
Just hitting them in the right place can set them off......Not a smart thing to do but (I'm just saying)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:50:56 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

That's exactly the kind of interpretation that an aggressive anti-2A prosecutor would spin.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
From the Nebraska State Patrol FAQ section of the CHL regulations.....

Does my permit allow me to carry a concealed handgun in schools or governmental buildings?     

Your permit does not allow you to carry a concealed handgun in schools. Some governmental buildings are on the list of prohibited places such as buildings which contain a courtroom. Other governmental building will have partial restrictions because the prohibition is only for carrying a concealed weapon into a meeting in the building such as the governing body of a county or a meeting of the Legislature. The restriction for the meeting will not necessarily make the rest of the building a prohibited place. The persons in charge of a building, however, could chose to post the entire building. A list of the prohibited places can be found in section 018 of the regulations or section 69-2441 in the statutes. Some of the prohibitions are for buildings or places and some are for events.

While I find no specific information about the 'grounds' of state or county offices such as a parking lot, there are some specific regulations regarding firearms on Federal properties...    Example used in one discussion:  A postal facility.  You cannot carry inside a postal facility OR on the property.  Even if you use the drive up drop box to mail your letters, you are 'on the property' and could be cited...

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
While I find no specific information about the 'grounds' of state or county offices such as a parking lot,

Open to the public... thus store it in your vehicle legally.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
Even if you use the drive up drop box to mail your letters, you are 'on the property' and could be cited.

That's what I'm writing about.   Clinton argued against his impeachment for taking advantage of his authority over his subordinate by debating the meaning of the word "is".

Nebraska Law, Section 69-2441,  does not mention a post office as  a prohibited place, but Title 39 CFR 232.1 (l) of Federal Law states; "Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

You are in your car driving on a public street. You drive up  to a postal box.  Your car is still on the public street.  The postal box is on the curb of a public sidewalk, within arms reach, and  at least 100 feet from the post office building or it's parking lot.  So, it is NOT on any postal property and you are not "on" the mail box, hence "on" post office property.  You're weapon certainly is not.

Or, you are walking down a public street.  After walking 600 feet you come to that mail box.  You are still standing on the same sidewalk you've been walking on for a  block.  At what point did the sidewalk become "postal property"?  600 feet away, 60 feet, 6 feet, or  at the intersection a block away?  If you are "on post office property" near that mail box then with that logic a mail box on a public street anywhere in town makes concealed carry  illegal anywhere in that town.

In Nebraska if a LEO makes contact with you while you are carrying, walking or driving,  you must show them your driver's license and CHP, and tell them you are carrying, if you are. 

But, an aggressive prosecutor ...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:54:23 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
Now if you had been carring a Hustler instead .....
They would of had you Cuffed, Beaten and Sitting in the back of a squad car
before you could have even gone.... Offff ! :o
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
Well to answer your question........
(Just think about it with out going D'oh! )

Bullets (Rounds) don't need a Gun or Firearm to set them off ......
Just hitting them in the right place can set them off......Not a smart thing to do but (I'm just saying)

Bullets are not explosive devices.  Not according to the legal definition. 

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/nebraska/ne-statutes/nebraska_statutes_28-1213

"... but does not include consumer fireworks as defined in such section, gasoline, kerosene, naphtha, turpentine, benzine, acetone, ethyl ether, benzol, fixed ammunition and primers for small arms, safety fuses, or matches;"

So, no.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »
deleted by user
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:04:11 PM by Gary »

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
They are rent a cops, they make $10 an hour.  Dont think anything of it.  They were probably stoned anyways.