< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Letter from the POTUS  (Read 1339 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Letter from the POTUS
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Hello, everybody --

Each week, like many presidents before me, I sit down to record a short address to the nation. It's something I take very seriously because it offers a chance to bring focus to an issue that needs to be part of the national dialogue.

But today, I've asked someone to take my place.

Francine Wheeler is a mother. She and her family live in Newtown, Connecticut. Four months ago, her six year-old son Ben was murdered in his elementary school, along with 19 other children and six brave educators.

Joined by her husband David, Francine shares her perspective about the steps we can take to reduce gun violence and prevent the kind of tragedy she understands all too well.

It's a message that every American should hear:

Watch Francine, then join her in speaking out to make our country safer.

This week, because people like Francine and like you got involved, the U.S. Senate took a step forward on commonsense reforms to reduce gun violence.

And that's good. Because this shouldn't be about politics. This is about doing the right thing for families that have been torn apart by gun violence, and for all our families going forward.

But we've got a lot of work to do before Congress finishes the job.

So if you believe that we can take sensible steps to protect more of our kids from gun violence and protect our Second Amendment rights, stand up and join us.

Just visit WhiteHouse.gov to get started:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/newtown-address

Thanks,

President Obama

My response...

RE: "Why I'm not giving the Weekly Address"

Mr. President,

It is shameful that you are using the deaths of the Newtown children to push your flawed anti-gun agenda on the American people.  My heart goes out to the grieving parents who lost children in these crimes, but just because a group of emotionally distraught people call for an action, does not mean that action is correct or constitutional.  I'm sure there were mothers who lost a son in WWII, but would their grief justify our withdrawal from the war? 

The so called "common sense" legislation you are asking for would have done NOTHING to stop this horrible tragedy.  If more background checks are the answer, then why did the background checks conducted when these weapons were legally purchased not stop this crime?  If military style firearms are the problem, then what about the countless other semi-automatic weapons that could have done just as much damage?  You try to convince the people that standard capacity (incorrectly referred to as "high capacity") magazines are the problem, but when you have defenseless victims it doesn't matter.  A deprived individual could have done the same damage with lower capacity magazines when there is no one to stop them.

Why do you only discuss limiting the Second Amendment?  Why not consider limiting the First?  If the media would not cater to these sick individual's desire to live on forever, we would likely see a reduction in these copycat crimes.  Each of these people have watched other mass murderers become famous when their name and face are splashed across every news outlet.  It goes on for weeks after the killings and then on every anniversary.  These people know that the rest of the world will remember them and feel their pain for years to come.  So why have you not spoken about limiting free speech when it has contributed so much to these tragedies?  Is it because you don't want a solution, but you want to APPEAR to be doing something while you falsely promote the Democratic party's agenda?

If you truly cared about america, you would be looking for real solutions to this problem.

Sincerely,
Me

After Obama sees the logic in my letter, I am expecting a complete reversal in his stance.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Letter from the POTUS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
After Obama sees the logic in my letter, I am expecting a complete reversal in his stance.

I suspect we will witness porcine aviation before that happens
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
I suspect we will witness porcine aviation before that happens

LOL

Fly (but not a pig)

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »
Fly, well said. You know, that's what it takes too...they have the power, connections and finances to continue to pull these political stunts and we, well, we don't. But, if we all continue to pound them with correspondence, maybe we will make a dent. In essence, we already have. They would have passed all their silly legislation months ago if people wouldn't have spoke up.

Nice job!

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:35:20 AM »
As  mentioned in a different thread, OBAMA is pulling a time honored lawyer trick.  When you can't win a case on the merits, you  go for the emotional angle.  This weeping mother (properly weeping, I hasten to add), with POTUS and Michelle pouring on the crocodile tears, you know they have lost the fight om its merits.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:06 AM »
My response...

If you truly cared about america, you would be looking for real solutions to this problem.

Sincerely,
Me

Yeah, but, you didn't capitalize 'Merica on the last line.   
Of course I don't think it matter because the old rule of thumb is to capitalize something important, and well, I don't think America, as we know/ knew it, is important to him.  As long as he gets to party like a rockstar, which probably why he didn't have time to prepare (ie: call his speech writer and find his teleprompter)
(Rant * Off)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:15 PM »
Yeah, but, you didn't capitalize 'Merica on the last line.

Yeah...my bad.  I capitalized "Democratic party's", but not "America".  Should have been the other way around.

Fly

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
Thank you for writting that letter.

I have been in consideration of my feelings towards the recent actions of the POTUS and can't come to terms with the language to relate those feelings.

The deplorable use of children, victims and family members and backdrops of the same and groups of uniformed LEO as a cheap propaganda in media appearance sickens me.

It has become increasingly obvious that this has nothing to do with violence control due to the lack of "common sense" action.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »
I got a reply...

Dear Greg:

Thank you for taking the time to write.  I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective.  From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family.  I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms.  In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation.  Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage.  Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one.  Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale.  Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown.  We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country.  He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas.  I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence.  These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence.  And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.  From improving mental health services to looking more closely at a culture that too often glorifies violence, we must leave no stone unturned when working to keep Americans safe.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress.  To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act.  As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away.  First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun.  Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.  We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people.  But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers.  Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love.  We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing.  I encourage you to visit www.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Huh...I guess he didn't read my original letter.  Go figure.

Fly

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »

"Dear Greg:"
Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Yep, proof right there that he got your letter and personally wrote you back!

If its any consolation, I originally read your letter all the way through and commented that you wrote well. I re-read it again just now and my opinion hasn't changed. When I read the "President's reply", my mind was processing it as...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and blah, blah, blah...Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irrespon...man, I hope it warms up so I can go fishing this week-end!...My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental...where'd I leave that damn remote? Hopefully I can catch the news before heading to bed. Thank you, again, for writing.  I encourage you to visi... Didn't I get this same email earlier?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another consolation would be yeah, he didn't read your email...and though I appreciate you going through the effort of posting "his reply" here for all of us to enjoy, well, I didn't read his either  ;D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 05:40:58 AM »

Just a bit of disconnect do you think? :'(

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
I guess he didn't read my original letter.

I'd wager he didn't sign  the  response, either.  A clerk probably typed your name and the topic of your letter into a database and at the end of the day ran a software app which  collected all the new entries for the day  and printed your name at the top  of a pre-printed topic letter, which included  a fake signature.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I'd wager he didn't sign  the  response, either.  A clerk probably typed your name and the topic of your letter into a database and at the end of the day ran a software app which  collected all the new entries for the day  and printed your name at the top  of a pre-printed topic letter, which included  a fake signature.

Yes...I would put money on it.

Fly