< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any thoughts on the Lincoln City Council May 7th general election?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Been just a couple years since I was re-transplanted back to Nebraska, so I haven't fully gotten up to speed on local politics.  As we head into the 5/7 general election, are there any RKBA implications to the vote, and the various candidates' stances? 

I know little to nothing about any of the candidates.  About all I can find is who the Lincoln Journal Star endorsed, which generally tells me who NOT to vote for.   ;D

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Any thoughts on the Lincoln City Council May 7th general election?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:03:13 AM »
We'd like to do a survey of the Lincoln candidates like we dd for Omaha.  Anyone have some Lincoln specific questions they would like asked?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »
LIBA (Lincoln Independent Business Association) has endorsed Roy Christensen (sp?), Trent Fellers and Mark Whitehead.  As a LIBA member (who incidentally I don't live in Lincoln so I cannot vote) I concur.  Also, Gene Carroll MUST go.  All the negative you hear about him appears to be just the tip of the iceberg....

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
i believe those are the three i voted for.

Rod, i can't think of anything specific to ask them.  can you tell me whats already on the survey?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:27:14 AM »
i believe those are the three i voted for.

Rod, i can't think of anything specific to ask them.  can you tell me whats already on the survey?

Thats the problem Robert at this point there is nothing on the survey.  We would like it to be similar to the Omaha Survey, around six yes or no questions with space for comments.  But nobody is making any noise on firearms in Lincoln and I'm feeling a little brain dead when trying to come up with issues to ask questions about.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »
Here are the questions used in the Omaha survey:

http://nfoapaf.org/2013-candidate-surveys.html

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
How about something like this:

Lincoln has a "gun registry" that every purchase is subject to (unless you are a CHP holder). What would your opinion be about a city bylaw that would keep the Lincoln Police from releasing any information from that registry to the general public?

Obviously clean it up for accuracy (i.e. is it called a "bylaw?" Is it every purchase; public and private?)

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
Lincoln has a "gun registry" that every purchase is subject to (unless you are a CHP holder). What would your opinion be about a city bylaw that would keep the Lincoln Police from releasing any information from that registry to the general public?

How about asking the candidate's opinions on completely eliminating Lincoln's "gun registry?"  Here are the current requirements from http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/gun.htm :

"Any person, firm, association, or corporation dealing in firearms of any type shall, on the same day of the sale of any firearm, except a shotgun or a rifle of a type commonly used for hunting, report the sale to the Lincoln Police Department."

The poll question:

"Would you support rescinding the city requirement that firearm sales must be reported to the Lincoln Police Department?"

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
How about asking the candidate's opinions on completely eliminating Lincoln's "gun registry?"

Even better!

Offline RLMoeller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:28 AM »
Good question!

Any others?

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
Since the Lincoln city firearm purchase reporting requirement applies primarily to handguns, I would also like to hear the candidate's overall opinions on having the reporting requirement in the first place.  A couple of questions along those lines might also show the candidate's overall view on firearms.

Maybe someone can phrase these better, or condense:

"What purpose do you feel is served by the city requirement to provide detailed reports of individual firearm sales to the Lincoln Police Department?"

"Do you feel it is necessary for handgun purchases within the city to be reported to the Lincoln Police Department, when the state already requires that handgun purchasers, who do not hold a Concealed Handgun Permit, must pass a background check, and obtain a Firearm Purchase Certificate before a handgun purchase?"

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
How about something like this:

Wow!  No kidding?  I didn't even know that.  I just bought something here in Lincoln and don't have my NE CHP yet, so I guess I inadvertently "registered"??   :o  Dang.

How about going beyond a bylaw of simply prohibiting releasing, and repealing the law and purging the registry entirely? 

Can LPD provide any statistically significant evidence of crimes being solved because this registry exists?  If not, then I'm not sure why it would be on the books.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
What do you think of these for the questions?

1.) Would you support rescinding the city requirement that firearm sales must be reported to the Lincoln Police Department?

2.) Would you support a City ordinance that would keep the Lincoln Police from releasing any personal information from that registry?

3.) The City of Lincoln has an ordinance that bars persons with non violent misdemeanors from possesing a firearm, would you support the repeal of that ordnance?

4.) Violent crime is always a concern of citizens.  Do you support imposing restrictions on a citizen's right to own firearms as a strategy for fighting crime?

5.) If elected to city government, would you support an ordinance banning "assault weapons," or standard - capacity magazines?

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »
Ordinance, that's the word I was looking for!

As far as the questions, I think they look great. I think you've covered the main issues of the day.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
The poll questions look good to me.  If the candidates respond, their answers should give us a feel for how they look at firearms issues.  If any of the candidates don't respond, we can probably guess what their opinion is.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 01:33:07 PM »
If I were running at this time I would try to stay under the radar of the liberal attack machine by not saying anything about guns that I did not have to say
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
I am with Dan W on this one..... having a business here in Lincoln and being a member of LIBA, Lincoln has a whole lot of other BIG fish to fry.  First is simply getting a conservative majority on the City Council.  Any gun issues is not something I think the GOOD candidates i.e. Whitehead, Fellers, and Christensen are going to make issues (at this time)....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
First is simply getting a conservative majority on the City Council.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
Looking at the sample ballot for the Lincoln election: can anyone tell me what the heck the "Vacancy on City Council" amendment is about? I found and read Article IV, Section 19, but I cannot find information anywhere about what the proposed amendment is.

It seems like the wrong kind of change could give the council too much power, but on the other hand, if they're just adjusting the existing language, it seems insignificant.

Anyway, any pointers to the language of the amendment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »
Back when there was a vacancy, there was some dispute over whether city ordinances or state election statutes would rule regarding the process of filling a vacant city council seat and the nomination process.

Here is an explanation of the issues but it is a rather long and complicated one.

http://journalstar.com/procedure-for-filling-council-vacancy/article_5340f63c-dbb4-5bca-a212-de5f40c3bad1.html
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder