< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Barrel threading in the Omaha area  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
Barrel threading in the Omaha area
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:15:17 AM »
Does anyone know of a good barrel threader in the Omaha area.  A coworker is looking for someone to thread his barrel and the only person I have used around here was Fred Ragle, but he passed away a couple of years ago.  thanks

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Barrel threading in the Omaha area
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
Fred Ragle, but he passed away a couple of years ago.  thanks

Fred of Midwest Gun and Machine?

You sure?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Yeah, I looked that up just now ..... gone 2 years already.

Time, it does fly.   Seems like I just talked to him.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
Save the heartache and ship it out, especially if it needs to be done right (i.e. for a sound suppressor).

I tried the local route, letting someone a dealer recommended do it. Big mistake. It took him a long time to get around to it, longer than if I'd have shipped it, and I still ended up needing to send it out to have it properly redone.

I'm not saying there's no one around able to do it. It's not like it's alchemy. I would love nothing more than for someone to chime in on a local that does excellent threading.

That being said, I'd have to hear the same recommendation from several people before trusting someone now.

I'd bite the bullet and ship it to Adco, Aquila, or Tornado. I've used all 3 at one time or another and all 3 did very good work.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Supersparky:

You might try a guy in Omaha named Ron Miller.   Phone: 402 393-4536.   

Ron chambers and threads raw factory barrel blanks into 6mm PPC.    [6mm PPC shooters support their sport by the money they save on targets.   They just shoot through the same hole, over and over and over.]

Ron lives in Mid-Omaha over by Canfields.   Has a full machine shop.   Very approachable individual and a real craftsman at what he does.

Either he will do the work or will know of someone who does.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
Supersparky:

You might try a guy in Omaha named Ron Miller.   Phone: 402 393-4536.   

Ron chambers and threads raw factory barrel blanks into 6mm PPC.    [6mm PPC shooters support their sport by the money they save on targets.   They just shoot through the same hole, over and over and over.]

Ron lives in Mid-Omaha over by Canfields.   Has a full machine shop.   Very approachable individual and a real craftsman at what he does.

Either he will do the work or will know of someone who does.

sfg

I'm betting NFOA members would be willing to flood him with work, if'n he wants it and is reasonable with his prices.

I can't be the only one that wants to thread about a dozen barrels for upcomming potential supressor applications.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
I called himfor a quote last year and he said he only did work for friends

Offline Jutty

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
I called himfor a quote last year and he said he only did work for friends

That's when you ask him where he wants to meet for drinks tonight.  :laugh: