< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CHP Training Qualification Concern  (Read 2101 times)

Offline mrkermit

• Forum Member
CHP Training Qualification Concern
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »
Hey folks,

I was just curious as to who makes / made the determination of what is "qualifying training" for the Nebraska CCW.  I was a little bit shocked to see my military service didn't qualify as the training supplement for the CCW qualification even though it says it in the book.  I figured with a DD214, 0311 infantry MOS, 0933 marksmanship coach MOS, pistol badge, combat action ribbon, and iraq & afghanistan campaign medals; I'd at least get a second look.  Don't get me wrong;  Most might not qualify on a pistol, or not have been overseas, or worked a range, etc...  I figured they had more of a checklist rather than a blanket denial -- guess I figured wrong  ;D

I did take a CCW class and felt that the training was appropriate on the legalese-side of the fence but most of it is comparable to simple ROE that one might see in a combat zone too.  Call it simpleton logic but I figure if I can do escalation of force/deadly force abroad, I have the responsibility and reason enough to know the law here.

So who might I write about this?  Would it just be "The NSP" ?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
Re: CHP Training Qualification Concern
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »
From my understanding, they want EVERYONE to take it due to the specific NE legal aspects.

I carry as a part of my job, and at my work we are subject to NE law, we don't have any special privileges.  I still had to take it.

I took it was Chris Zeeb, and I was impressed with him, so I've recommended a bunch of coworkers to go take his classes.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
Burnsy 87 is pretty much right on.

Military firearms training just does not cover all of the topical material which is required for the Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit.

Military firearms training is great training.   It just isn't the same training as required by the NE State Patrol for the CHP program.

For example, NE CHP training stresses conflict avoidance.   Military training stresses............conflict involvement.

That's only part of the difference.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
The legal aspects of carrying a handgun far outweigh the technical aspects of carrying, i.e., it's more important to know "when" to shoot than "how" to shoot IMHO.  Not that knowing how isn't important, but the ignorance out there on the laws on the use of lethal force is simply amazing. 

And frankly, the NE CCW course isn't really enough.   
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Your complaint is noted, and IMO including the language of "military training" was a bad move in the law when discussing qualifications for the CHP since they won't and likely never will honor it.....

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
Since I got my CHP and began carrying, I am struck by how defenseless the law leaves me in so many situations where the danger is the greatest.   My wife and I attended the presentation of Verdi's Requiem at the Lied Center last week end.  While waiting for the program to begin I thought "wow,  completely packed with people but the balcony was roped off, only to be opened to take the overflow.  Someone could force their way past the elderly person standing at the velvet rope blocking the door and toss a bomb from the balcony into the center of the auditorium."

Not that I would use my hand gun to play cop, or that a hand gun would do me any good in that situation, but one never knows about timing and circumstance.   I am also keenly aware of which businesses allow me to CCW and which do not.  Those that do not will never have my business, but they probably don't care because the total number of CHP holders is probably a minor fraction of less than 1% of their business.   I think of the laws every time I go to pick up one of my grandsons from their school.   A place where the most precious lives in my life spend 8 hours of their day, totally exposed and unprotected by adults who believe, or still think in some way, that a "Gun Free Zone" sign makes them bullet proof.  I think of the laws when I am setting in the auditorium at church, surrounded by other equally defenseless people that the law has declared shall submit to being putative targets for madmen.  I boil with anger when those same lawmakers exempt themselves and their family from that exposure by being protected by highly trained experts in defense having weapons I can never get my hands on.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »
since they won't and likely never will honor it.....[/quote]

Bingo!!

sfg[/size]
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
get out a set of handcuffs and put them on,  behind your back, for several hours.  imagine you are with stranger's that are not friendly, and will not answer any of your questions. in two hours or so, they take off the handcuffs, and hand you your checkbook. you have to make out two checks, one to the jail for twenty thousand dollars, for bail. another check for fifty thousand dollars to hire an attorney.

That is what will could happen to anyone that uses his legal right to own and carry a gun, to protect themselves.

now factor in most people never get shot, stabbed, beat up etc. and people that do get shot, 85% live. so would it be better to take a bullet in a confrontation or give one?

one thing I hope a CHP class teaches everyone, is keep your gun holstered. unless you want that handcuff treatment with all that follows that.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

And frankly, the NE CCW course isn't really enough.   

When is training on anything as complex as a firearm and the use of a firearm, ever over?  SWAT team members, are always involved in continuing education.

When I took my CHP class from Bruce S in Fairbury, I was amazed at the amount of printed material I was given, and told to learn.  There was no way anyone could remember all of that in a one day class.  Once you get home, after class, that is when the real study takes place.   I have more formal range time after my CHP class, than I have had in the previous 20 years.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:56:13 AM by Gary »

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
When is training on anything as complex as a firearm and the use of a firearm, ever over?  SWAT team members, are always involved in continuing education.

When I took my CHP class from Bruce S in Fairbury, I was amazed at the amount of printed material I was given, and told to learn.  There was no way anyone could remember all of that in a one day class.  Once you get home, after class, that is when the real study takes place.   I have more formal range time after my CHP class, than I have had in the previous 20 years.
Does that include one-handed Glock breakdown?  :)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Does that include one-handed Glock breakdown?  :)

I can't breakdown and reassemble my Smith 39 with two hands!

Offline mrkermit

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »
Well, found my answer.  69-2432 sec. 027.03D, 027.03F, and 027.03G.  The sections cover storage so children can't access firearms and fed/state/local laws pertaining to possession and use of handguns.  Makes sense, it's rather confusing as I read it as per section 022.01 "military documentation evidencing handgun training..." and interpreted it in the matter that is stand alone and separate; not "NSP approved military documentation evidencing handgun training..." which is how it is enforced.

Thanks for the replies. 

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:42 AM »
Your complaint is noted, and IMO including the language of "military training" was a bad move in the law when discussing qualifications for the CHP since they won't and likely never will honor it.....

Unless of course, you were an elite member of NAVSECBLACKOPS GROUP 11. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline mrkermit

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
You mean this guy?

I wouldn't write him off!   He may  be old but he doesn't appear to  be in need  of glasses, he can carry an AR-15 with a full belt of ammo, some food and water, and appears to  be able to hike a distances.  Chances are he's probably a good shot because of lots of practice.   It only takes a finger to pull the trigger, and the age or gender of the finger is immaterial!