< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How to grab the guns  (Read 730 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
How to grab the guns
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/political/la-me-pc-gun-bill-20130501,0,7674608.story

Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday signed legislation aimed at taking handguns and assault rifles away from 20,000 Californians who acquired them legally but have since been disqualified from ownership because of a criminal conviction or serious mental illness.
“This bipartisan bill makes our communities safer by giving law enforcement the resources they need to get guns out of the hands of potentially dangerous individuals,” said Evan Westrup, a spokesman for the governor.
“California is leading the nation in a common-sense effort to protect public safety by taking guns away from dangerous, violent individuals who are prohibited by law from owning them,” Harris said.

It's presented as a "reasonable" plan.  Who would want those with "criminal convictions", the mentally ill and "potentially dangerous" individuals in  possession of firearms?   Only gun nuts, right?

So, you can't afford to fight a bogus protection order, or have a lawyer who graduated last in his class, and are convicted, essentially,  of making your girl friend mad.  Or, you are given an SSRI for treatment of a  prostate condition and the police interpret it to be treatment for mental illness.

But, what if later legislation broadens the definition of  "potentially dangerous" to include PC crimes, like the man who photographed his boy holding a .22 rifle that looked like an M4, or worse, because your kid pointed his finger at another student and said "bang" and some teacher or admin goes hysterical?    Or, you are in the military and someone notices that you are always calm and cool.  They ask you why and you say it is because of your faith in Jesus Christ you have no fear of the future.   Someone who doesn't like what you said reports you for "proselytizing" and you are court martialed, serve some time and given a dishonorable discharge.

More than a dozen bills have been introduced into the California legislature.  Their purpose is to take firearms from as many people as they think they can get away with doing.  On the Left coast these measures will be passed, as will many subsequent bills, chipping away until they find excuses to grab all the guns from everyone except their friends and the Hollywood elite.

It will be a model adopted by all those states where the LSM have the political advantage.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
Re: How to grab the guns
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
I used to enjoy traveling to California.  I thought it was one of the funnest places in my earlier years.

I can now honestly say that I will no longer step foot in that state. 
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:12:25 PM »
I will no longer step foot in that state

A retired relative of mine who lives in Montana decided to move  to San Diego because  he was tired  of the cold weather.  He flew down to search out a property to buy and after a week changed his mind and decided that Montana wasn't such a bad place after all. He said the taxes  and regulations put him into a straight jacket and had he moved there the laws and regs of the gov of California would have drained his retirement dry  within a few years.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
As California is as broke as Albania expect a federal grant (i.e. you and I) to foot the bill for this.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
As California is as broke as Albania expect a federal grant (i.e. you and I) to foot the bill for this.

That is exactly one of  the functon of gun control legislation. Cut loose money to fund agenda.  Most of the laws already exist (and are not enforced), but their funding has run out...make new law, get new funding. CA had to do their own $24M since the federal payout didn't happen. Most likely they will find some other angle to get the money they want. It is interesting how they legislate money, but often fail to use the money for the issue (like the CA revocation of guns to criminals and mentally ill).