< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: needing new tires  (Read 2091 times)

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
Re: needing new tires
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
Thanks, I didn't even ask what psi they filled em to. 10 ply, Load range E tires so it's probably the stuff sidewall! I'll be sure to check tho

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:11:43 AM »
My opinion...you shouldn't need more than 35-40 psi in those tires.  Anymore than that, they'll probably wear funny and your pickup will ride like a lumber wagon.

They look good...keep 'em rotated.

NRA Member

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Physics factoid:

The area of a tire in contact with the ground multiplied by the PSI of the tire gives the total weight the tire is supporting.  There is a neat physics experiment where a wheel on a vehicle is jacked off the ground, the bottom of the tread is painted and a cardboard sheet is placed under the tire.  The jack is carefully released so that the wheel does not roll but merely contacts the cardboard as it takes the weight transferred from the axle.   The PSI of the tire is measured as accurately as possible, with interpolation.  The wheel is jacked back up and the cardboard removed and the area of the paint mark on the cardboard is measured.   The weight the wheel  is supporting is computed.  Doing all four wheels and adding the results gives the weight of the vehicle.

Running with too low an air pressure causes the tire to flatten because with the lower PSI the area in contact with the ground has to be greater to support the same weight.  This causes the tire to flex through a more acute angle, decreasing the life of the tread.    Running with too high an air pressure puts less tread on the ground and results in less flexing BUT it also increases wear in the center of the tread, causing it to wear faster than it normally would if the PSI indicated on the side wall of the tire were used.

Weighing cars with a pressure gauge, tire jack, cardboard and paint is fun.  At least the  boys think so!   :D

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
265/70/16`s on the Tacoma DBL Cab and I ran 30psi front / 28psi rear.
Nice choice; I have had great luck with the BFG AT`s but I just found the General brand AT`2s to work just as well for less$$; now if I were to enter the Baja 1000 I might reconsider.. :laugh: