< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Starting Life as a Concealed Carrier  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Starting Life as a Concealed Carrier
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
Here is the retired Sheriff from this town, getting to know a rookie fresh from the police academy.

If the retired Sheriff has this much trouble communicating to an LEO, what chance do we have?

Error - Getting out of vehicle

Error, - Not following orders to return to vehicle

Error - Getting stuff out of pockets when ordered to hold still.

Error - Resisting arrest

Any I missed?  Hitting the white line a couple times, does not show well. 

What does this have to do with falling all over yourself to tell the cops you have a CHP?  The guy was clearly a jackass and felt immune from following the directives of the cop as a retired LEO.  I'm obligated to obey the law, but posting that as an example of what can happen if I don't kowtow to authority  is a stretch.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
Never believe "it can only happen to the other guy."  I believe carrying a handgun increases my odds of survival should I find myself in the middle of a bad situation, like Von Maur.  First choice is to run and otherwise escape but it's nice to have other options. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 11:55:51 PM »
Several on forums have made a point of "Official Contact" being a buzz phrase, in  dancing around what is needed. 

Here is the word for word question from the Nebraska State Patrol CHP test given by instructors:

(this question was written by the State Patrol)

Question removed to comply with NSP rules on CCW tests. AAllen

The question does not say, official contact, it says contact, implying even a casual conversation, say eating in a restaurant, possibly exchanging light conversation as you face each other, sitting at separate tables, several feet away. 

(extra pointe for the correct answer)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:35:07 AM by AAllen »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 08:32:49 AM »
Gary:

You should not be publishing test questions from the NSP CHP exam on this Forum or anywhere else.  Your posting is totally inappropriate and you should remove it immediately by means of the modification process.

When instructors are issued the CHP exams in their appointment packages, they are specifically cautioned to guard the content of the exams to keep them from being released publicly.

Doing otherwise compromises the integrity of the exams.

Here is the official definition of contact from NAC 272, Ch. 21:

002 DEFINITIONS

“Contact with emergency services personnel” shall mean that the permit holder is provided treatment by emergency services personnel in the course of their official duties.

“Contact with a peace officer” shall mean that the permit holder has been stopped, detained, questioned or addressed by a peace officer for an official purpose or in the course of his or her official duties.

sfg
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:57:27 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »
Here is the word for word question from the Nebraska State Patrol CHP test given by instructors:

I'm wondering how you have a copy of the official State Patrol test.  You said you only took the NRA Instructor course a little while back---therefore you cannot already be an official NE CCW instructor.   (It takes quite a few months before the State Patrol approves your class syllabus for that, and they wouldn't start the process until you had your NRA certification.)

SFG is completely correct, by the way.  If a CHP instructor actually posted a question from their test in a public forum such as this, it would be a significant issue specifically prohibited by the State Patrol, and the State Patrol (understandably) will not be thrilled.

So---where did you get a copy of the test, Gary?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »
Though I have long been an admin here I very seldom do much of that since Dan does such a great job, and I like having consistency.  But I removed the test question above because the NFOA does our best to work with and abide by the rules that our friends at the NSP set.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
I apologize , but my day job is very busy right before a holiday weekend, and I can only do admin stuff during my breaks.

Thanks for having my back Andy, and the members who have better judgement... I can count on you all to keep the integrity of our forum intact.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
I'm gonna call SHENNANIGANS in this here thread.   :o
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:31 PM »
I apologize , but my day job is very busy right before a holiday weekend, and I can only do admin stuff during my breaks.

Considering how many posts are made here on a daily basis, it is amazing you cover the amount that you currently do!

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
Considering how many posts are made here on a daily basis, it is amazing you cover the amount that you currently do!

Hear!  Hear!

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
I would like to thank everyone who provided comments, even the ones that were slightly "off topic". ;) Great advice on the what to do when stopped, thanks. Most of the tips I already practice, windows down, lights on, hands on the wheel. Everything I can do to show law enforcement I want the stop to go as smooth and stress free as possible for both of us. I find myself silently practicing the "I have a CHP and am carrying" speech when in a vehicle. It's been a while since I've been stopped for anything. 

I am becoming more comfortable being armed in public. I still catch myself looking in available reflective surfaces to see if it shows or if I'm printing. I'm using a King Tuk IWB that sits at the 4 o'clock position and I'm getting used to the feel. I do need to practice drawing the gun.

Again thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
To the OP, congratulations on getting your CHP. I likewise just got mine, along with my wife.  Sorry if I posted a memory of something that worried some of you.    My intention was to help show the intent of the statute.  I did not post an  answer to a question, only mentioned a question that stuck out in my mind.
I do answer PM's if I put my foot in it again.    I had not come back to this thread until now, so it was not possible for me to take heed from other members posts.   Thanks for helping everyone.

I might suggest taking further classes on gun safety from local NRA instructors here.   several members here list classes they teach, and they do help build gun safety knowledge and skills.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:52:40 AM by Gary »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
Quote from: Gary
While most all LEO's support the concept of the 2nd amendment, 14 LEO's have been shot and killed by licensed CHP holders  in the USA from May 2007 to date.

Quote from: dcjulie
Gary - can you provide some information on the LEOs shot by CCW holders.  I was not aware of that information - thanks.

and

the NRA recommends you practice with your CC handgun at least once a month, and at least 100 rounds. 

Quote from: bullit
While you are answering Julie's request, can you source the above statement, too?

Mind answering those, Gary?  I also am curious as to the sources of your information.

Also, you originally said:

(this question was written by the State Patrol)

After which you wrote a question and its potential answers.

Then later you said:
Sorry if I posted a memory of something that worried some of you.    My intention was to help show the intent of the statute.  I did not post an  answer to a question, only mentioned a question that stuck out in my mind.

First you say it was word-for-word, then you say it was from memory. Either you are saying you have an perfect memory (which is unlikely, considering your posting history) or one of those statements above was a lie.

I ask again, just like I asked above:

Where did you get a copy of the test, Gary?

And if it wasn't from a copy of the test, why did you say it was word-for-word when it was from memory, from a test you took months ago?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Where did you get a copy of the test, Gary?

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official