< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Elements to Win a Gun Fight...and how to practice.  (Read 4030 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Elements to Win a Gun Fight...and how to practice.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
And just so you both know, I think we all learn a little more from each of these discussions and videos.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
As far as point shooting not being accurate, well this guy has something to say about that.

Great topic....

I guess I don't really think of this as "point shooting", but glorified "bore sighting" and this is MY OPINION so I am not really that impressed.  In my training with Devin and Trevor, my take away is get the gun "towards" the target as fast as you can at almost contact or less that 7 feet distance (b/c it is all hitting the fan fast) to allow you to 1) preferably escape and/or 2) take cover and then engage with accuracy if the situation still warrants. 
From a purist stand point, "point shooting" IN MY OPINION is Bob Munden.
At the end of the day, all of these methods are repackaged models of what someone else taught or espoused 25, 50, 100 years ago.  Like Pincus they've been able to create a brand and "sell it" with terms like "Dynamic Critical Incident" (and there's nothing wrong with that).  Ayoob was teaching the Stressfire approach 35 years ago.....
Again to mention Devin and Trevor (who I don't always agree with) they are great instructors because they advocate you consider things in light of logic, but also realize it is NOT the only way. 
In my other passion ..... raising, training and showing cutting horses, the same thing exists i.e. nothing is new under the sun, just who is marketing today that is "cool and fashionable" and sells a lot of DVDs

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Well, when you called my background into question, I kinda had to. Seems immediately after doing your weird web search on me and not finding what you wanted you couldn't wait to post about it (epic fail). I haven't, nor will I ever, exaggerate my abilities or qualifications.

Yes, well, you keep bagging on competitions based on your experience and the fact that you "did well"----so since you have disparaged USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Multigun, I thought I'd simply check the USPSA site.  And lo and behold, you had indeed shot a little USPSA, though your didn't match what you had claimed.  There was no information that you had shot Multigun or Steel Challenge, so I thought I'd ask, in case you could actually back up your contentions.  But since you can't, other than doing well in IDPA, that pretty much told me what I needed.

You see---you made a part of your argument the fact that you did well at it.  You did that, not anyone else.  And since you can't really back that up for the competition types that go on around here, and you can't back it up with any logical arguments either, it really means that I'll give your opinion there the respect it deserves, i.e. none. 

Particularly since LEOs hold competitions, militaries hold competitions, and so does everyone else.  And you know what?  The only people who keep pushing that it is a bad thing are people like Pincus and you.  (There are others, of course.)  Pincus even admits (literally, he said this) that he doesn't want to measure or track any data on how well his students shoot, and that he doesn't care how well his instructors can shoot.  You apparently don't like standards either.

I can compare that to Bill Rogers, Frank Proctor, Shannon Smith, Mike Seeklander, Jim Cirillo, Ted Puente, Bob Vogel, Jerry Barnhardt, Ron Avery, Tom Givens...and you know what?  The result is pretty clear.

Actually what I thought you were saying was Elements to Win a Gun Fight...and how to practice.

Hm.  If you've been paying attention, we've covered a number of other topics.

So I will answer that again;

- Build a solid foundation in the fundamentals of sighted and unsighted shooting
- Practice basic combatives
- Range drills. Starting at a very easy level and progressing to very complex.
- Reality based training. Participate in properly run force on force drills, putting it all together in context, working all the physical and mental skills in real time.

Already been discussed.  Of course, you haven't actually responded to any of the points I've made, but that's fine.

I never said teaching sighted fire was bad. I said that we should learn both sighted and unsighted fire (see above)

And yet, the entire diatribe from Trevor that you posted gave a very different emphasis.

It seems you agree that if the threat is reactionary, close range and immediate we will focus on the target. According to you we should still be able to access the sights, Im assuming using our peripheral vision? Explain to me then exactly how you will reduce the effects of tunnel vision (loss of peripheral vision) which is a recognized physical effect of extreme stress?

Hm.  I find that if i have a complete target focus, and bring the gun up to the eye/target line, the sights are superimposed on the target.  And, if the target is that close, said sight picture is sufficient to get hits perfectly well, even very accurate hits. 

Or perhaps you think that if you focus on one thing, you can see nothing else?  What an odd thought.  You perhaps you think that tunnel vision means that if you focus on something, you can't see anything else in between you and that object?  How odd.

You do realize that your entire paragraph makes no sense, right?

There you go calling people stupid again (seems you have been doing that a lot lately). Why do you think that happens? Do you think there may be a real physiological reason for it? That under duress the higher thinking parts of our brain shut down while the lower functioning, instinctive part turns on?

I think that your understanding of the physiological and neurological effects of stress is extremely simplistic, and that either you don't understand it very well, OR you simply don't know how to argue, because what you are saying doesn't make sense.

Many people do turn stupid under stress.  This is known.

This is obvious a physiological reaction to stress.  This is also known.

Saying that "the higher functions of our brain shut down" is an absolute statement that is not true, however.  It is more correct to say that without training or practice, complex decision-making becomes considerably more difficult.  The faculties are obviously still there, and the processes can be accessed.  However, it is more difficult to do.

In a similar fashion, saying that "while the lower functioning, instinctive part turns on" is a statement that is technically not true.  The instinctive part of your brain is always on, but is often over-ridden on a continual basis by the higher functions.  The instinctive part of your brain has a lesser capacity for abstract thought, and tends to choose from a set of fight/flight/freeze responses (that is a simplistic version of what happens, but basically true) and as such, tends to be people's base response when surprised or stressed.  However, this is not an absolute, and not only can training alter people's base reactions, training can also enable people's higher functions to work.

As such---what was your point?  You didn't say anything that wasn't actually known, and you didn't make any sort of point that refuted anything I said.

You said, responding to my request for data on two specific things:
This is very easy to answer and the evidence can be seen on hundreds of videos of actual shootings available online. It is usually quite obvious that under duress when the attack is immediate, reactionary, and close range people will point shoot. Its not because they are stupid, its because the lower instinctive part of their brain has taken over.

So, you DON'T have data.  Why?  Because your contention was;
1) "officers and operators will most often not use their sights, despite any type and level of training"

And according to you, videos available online somehow show people not using their sights, in addition to giving information about the type of level of training that they had.

Oh wait, it DOESN'T.

Matter of fact, most of the videos available online are of people we KNOW are trained poorly.  So why are we using these as examples?

Also---you say "It is usually quite obvious that under duress when the attack is immediate, reactionary, and close range people will point shoot." ---you say that as an absolute.  And yet, there are plenty of cases where this is not true.  And again, since you have no information with regard to training level, you don't actually have any data to support your contention that training type and level made no difference.

You also say:  "Its not because they are stupid, its because the lower instinctive part of their brain has taken over." ---as if the instinctive part can't be trained.  And yet, it can.  Matter of fact, there are plenty of training systems that integrate stress responses into effective actions that can be quite complex.

You seem to think that "lower instinctive" means "low-level" -- and it doesn't have to be. 

It is certainly true that people with no training or poor training will react poorly.  How, however, does that even remotely support your idea that people will all types and levels of training will ALSO react in an unsighted, "lower instinctive" level, particularly when there is plenty of data showing that isn't necessarily true?

This were you will see flinching, movement away from the threat and very often one handed target focus shooting. The extreme physical effects of stress will likely be present, tunnel vision, loss of hearing, time distortion are just a few.

No arguments that these things can happen.  However, most of those can (and have, in plenty of cases) been overcome by training.

Proper training and repetition can condition good reflexive gross motor responses here. Getting a good sight picture wont likely be one of them.

Simply untrue.  You seem to normally set up a strawman that either a person is using unsighted fire, or someone is using a bullseye sight focus.  And yet, there are many spots in between on that continuum---and again, plenty of people have had no troubles getting a perfectly sufficient sight picture for their circumstances under stress. 

Or maybe Jim Cirillo's history is either unknown to you, or instead wrong?  Perhaps the data from Tom Given's students is incorrect, or they were lying?

I also note that the use of the term "gross motor movement" tells me a lot, really.  Considering that pulling a trigger is not a gross motor movement, nor is actuating a magazine release, nor are many other things...all things that can be trained perfectly well for stress-based action.

Given time, anticipation, and/or lower levels of threat the conscious higher functioning part of the brain can be used, and thats when you "remember" to use the sights. Which you should, and is why you need to know and practice, sighted and un sighted fire.

This video is a perfect example. The first LEO is ambushed, reacts instinctively and obviously point shoots. The second LEO present, has distance and time. His reaction is noticeably different. Two hands on the gun, gun is in his line of sight, uses cover effectively and and helps end the threat with more accurate fire. Two LEOS, same agency, same training but different responses due to different parts of the brain being used.

Hm.  I'm not sure if you realize you are arguing against yourself, here.  After all, you posted Trevor's response as the answer to my question, in which he said teaching sighted fire was a mistake.  I realize that YOU say we should do both----so which is it?

Because if sighted fire hadn't been taught, that second cop wouldn't have been able to do that, now would he?

And again, you are taking one particular incident (from a group of people that we know aren't trained well, in particular aren't trained well for stress scenarios) and from that saying that the first officer's panic reaction tells us what we should know?

Or perhaps, shouldn't it tell us that it is a good thing that the second officer remembered his training, and too bad the training wasn't actually sufficient for the first officer to be effective? Remember here--you are the one saying that unsighted fire should be taught for things like this----when the videos we see (that you are referencing) are showing that such actions tend to be not effective.

You see, you can't have it both ways.  You can either say that "under stress, people will use unsighted fire" OR "unsighted fire is effective" --- but unfortunately, the videos you are citing as evidence show that you can't say both.

AND, even better, both of those two phrases are actually factually incorrect in general.  There are plenty of cases where under stress, people use sighted fire.  AND, there are plenty of cases where people's unsighted fire has been effective. 

It is true that untrained or poorly trained people tend to use blind, random, rapid unsighted fire under close-range stress.  That doesn't mean it is the only thing that can happen.

It is true that most of the time, unsighted fire gives extremely poor results.  That doesn't mean it always will, particularly at contact distances or from a retention position (given decent training in said techniques).

Let's see---research study found that in 2005, in slightly over 50% of their altercations with bad guys where they fired shots, the police missed the bad guy.  Now, that isn't missing 50% of their shots---that is saying no matter how many shots were fired, in over 50% of the altercations where shots were fire, the police didn't hit the bad guy at all.

I'm trying to figure out how that should be used as support for any commentary about 1) how trained people react under stress, given that we know that police training, for the general patrolman, tends to be pretty bad, and 2) whether or not unsighted fire is effective and should be taught.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
That is ONE FAT COP ......
Yeah he is, fitness standards for public safety employees can be another discussion. I was waiting for someone to say he didn't use his sights properly because he was thinking about jelly donuts.

Personally I think everyone would benefit from some of both types of training, and as far as the major amount someone would do would need to be directed at which ever system is right for their needs.
There you go, being all reasonable. Pick a side darn it!! :D

Great topic....

I guess I don't really think of this as "point shooting", but glorified "bore sighting" and this is MY OPINION so I am not really that impressed.  In my training with Devin and Trevor, my take away is get the gun "towards" the target as fast as you can at almost contact or less that 7 feet distance (b/c it is all hitting the fan fast) to allow you to 1) preferably escape and/or 2) take cover and then engage with accuracy if the situation still warrants. 
From a purist stand point, "point shooting" IN MY OPINION is Bob Munden.
At the end of the day, all of these methods are repackaged models of what someone else taught or espoused 25, 50, 100 years ago.  Like Pincus they've been able to create a brand and "sell it" with terms like "Dynamic Critical Incident" (and there's nothing wrong with that).  Ayoob was teaching the Stressfire approach 35 years ago.....
Again to mention Devin and Trevor (who I don't always agree with) they are great instructors because they advocate you consider things in light of logic, but also realize it is NOT the only way. 
In my other passion ..... raising, training and showing cutting horses, the same thing exists i.e. nothing is new under the sun, just who is marketing today that is "cool and fashionable" and sells a lot of DVDs

Excellent point. Just like there are different levels of sight focus there are different levels of point shooting. I think that Middlebrooks demonstrates what is ultimately possible without sights at a very long range. He is locking out both arms and looking down the gun. I still think it impressive, at that distance, with what he is working with. Especially considering most of us would have a hard time hitting that target using the sights.

I hadn't though about Bob Munden, great example. He obviously demonstrates what is possible at close range with extraordinary hand eye coordination. Which reinforces my belief that at close range, under duress and when focused on the threat, the average CCW holder can be combat accurate without using the sights. Given that they get some basic training and put in the time to practice.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
I'm still stuck in my classroom

What subjects do you teach?
(An old, ex-teacher wants to know.   I loved teaching, and during the 18 years I taught I never had a single day where I dreaded going to my classrooms.  I just couldn't make a decent living at it.)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
Jt, it seems you are getting a little stressed yourself. You are obviously too emotionally invested in this topic to continue it in a reasonable way. It seems you are forgeting, or choosing to ignore, things I have already posted. So before you get any more personal Im going to take a break. I am fine with agreeing to disagree.

While I was typing this I recieved a reply from Trevor. JT feel free to ignore, distort or discredit the following. Everyone else try to be objective and come to your own conclusion.

Shawn,

I just had a good cup of coffee and I am all hyped up.

Here is an explanation, references, argument, and a few final comments.

The body alarm system in reactive situations at face reading distance activates the amygdalla and causes a person to instinctively or intuitively react to a threat.  This involves squaring towards the threat and looking directly at and focusing on the threat.  Nothing in our alarm system tells us to focus on a 1/8 wide piece of metal or plastic that has no relation to the threat.  The amygdalla when "activated" is a shorter loop and interrupts deliberate thought.  The deliberate or higher brain must play catch up.

With less duress and more time, the deliberate thought loop can kick in allowing a person to make a choice that is counter instinctive or counter intuitive, such as to focus on one's sights.  This is why I say sighted fire is mostly a deliberate choice.  The amount of time needed to switch to this loop is operator and training dependent, but it is clear under more duress with less time, it is less likely to happen.

You have 6 degrees more or less of direct vision.  This is a very small (tunnel vision like) field of view for the best focus.  Under duress, since clarity of the threat is of utmost importance, you will not instinctively or intuitively put any object in front of you to obstruct that line of sight unless it is done to shield you from the attack protectively.  So you will not want a gun up in your face in your direct line of sight.

In theory you might be able to condition someone to use their sights intuitively, but this would require enough repetitions while in a body alarm reaction mode to overcome 1000s of years of evolution.  Training without the amygdalla activated (range training) will not work as well for conditioning because it is in a different psychological context.  Then on top of this, you would have to train in a fine motor skill (aligning sights) during times of high stress and rapid heat action.

There absolutely is a place for sighted fire, but I think we are wasting too much time training it under conditions when it will never be used and then not training the actual skill that will be used in those conditions. 

References:

--NYPD SOP9-
http://www.virginiacops.org/articles/shooting/combat.htm
The shooting distances where Officers survived, remained almost the same during the SOP years (1970-1979), and for a random sampling of cases going back as far as 1929. 4,000 cases were reviewed. The shooting distance in 75% of those cases was less than 20 feet.

Contact to 10 feet --- 51%
10 feet to 20 feet --- 24%

In 70% of the cases reviewed, sight alignment was not used. Officers reported that they used instinctive or point shooting.  As the distance between the Officer and his opponent increased, some type of aiming was reported in 20% of the cases. This aiming or sighting ran from using the barrel as an aiming reference to picking up the front sight and utilizing fine sight alignment. The remaining 10% could not remember whether they had aimed or pointed and fired the weapon instinctively.

--"What Applegate Said"
http://www.hfrg.org/storage/pdf/APPLEGATE.pdf

"Intense focus on the threat"- outlining reactions to a deadly threat
"93% focused on thee threat" during training in "life threatening scenarios"

--Bruce Siddle, "Sharperning The Warrior's Edge", I don't have it with me.

Effects of survival stress: "loss of near vision"

--Every single force on force high duress scenario driven training I have conducted over a period of 20 years.  I have taught CQB courses to special force soldiers who only practice sighted fire and at the end of a 2 day course, they will admit they never used their sights under reactive duress for 2 days!

The default under severe reactive stress is always point shooting.  I have observed this and recorded it with video and it is unchanging regardless of the level of operator.  There is a gray zone where training will allow one operator to stay more calm than another and use sights, but the close range,  reactive, high duress  situations yield the same result.

This can easily be repeated and I have consistently observed even some of the top competitive sighted shooters, Mike Hugh's for example, resort to point shooting during scenarios unless they had the opportunity to be pro-active.

-- Review of over 200 life and death shootings caught on video

--Medical studies investigating the effects of survival stress (various sources, I don;t have time to find them all)

There is not one empirical study which has shown sighted fire as a primary means of dealing with reactive, close range, threats.  If some trainer actually could get people to use sighted fire under severe duress, wouldn't they record the facts and soon become the greatest firearms trainer on earth?

I have asked for evidence from the point shooting disbelievers and they can only come up with anecdotal evidence, and we all know that stress effects your memory, or do I have to prove that too?  Then they demand proof from me, and I provide study after study and they do everything they can to deny it or look for little minute ways to interpret it to their liking.  With any basic rules of logic or debate, I am clearly and undeniably in the lead. 

The bottom line is this, I can take any sighted shooting proponent and consistently and repeatedly get them to point shoot under realistic high duress situations and record that fact.  The anti-point shooters cannot say the same.

I will say no more until the sighted shooters provide a shred of empirical evidence as the court is beyond clearly in my favor.  I don't care what someone said, or what someone can do on the range or in competition, or what they think they can do.  I want real empirical proof.  Tactics are like a religion to people in the same way everyone used to think their martial art was the best until people started doing MMA.  I'm not the kind of guy who ever stuck to one martial art, I was always looking for "the way" and have had 20+ years of experience while being trained in the widest possible fields of tactics and being operational in a variety of special operations units in a variety of environments.  I now say the Army/Military and range based shooters are largely inbred with tactics and beliefs.  People learn the same thing and repeat it from the same people, while never having the ability to branch out too far or empirically test it and record it.

"The ability to master a complex skill is automatically equated with the ability to effectively address real life. A huge fallacy, in my humble opinion."- Nir Maman (Israeli Special Forces)

Trevor Thrasher
Master Instructor
88 Tactical Group
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
I enjoy these discussions, you guys are basically discussing two sides of the same coin.  In the end you are trying to prepare and train for the same thing, just using two different training methods.  Is one better than the other, personally I doubt it.  You are both training people to be able to be effective in high stress self defense situations, one is encouraging competition shooting which does create some stress and uses fine motor skills so you make your reactions almost automatic.  The other uses more force on force/close combat training to do the same thing (and encourages the use of "natural" reactions to the stressors).

Well, no, not really.  Competition shooting doesn't use any more fine motor skills than does any other sort of shooting.  The fine motor skill/gross motor skill dichotomy is actually fairly false----as a simple example, working a trigger and a magazine release are fine motor skills.  As such, contentions that "fine motor skills won't work under stress" are just untrue.

In addition, my contention isn't that competition takes the place of other training.  Quite the contrary, I suggest people take classes that include stress training, force-on-force training, and scenario training.  (And yes, those can indeed be different things.)  And that's why I teach classes that include all three of those things, depending on the class, of course--a shooting skills class includes stress but not the other two, CCW 101 include stress and scenario but not much force-on-force, CQT is full of force-on-force and stress training, etc...

I also note that pushing commentary about "natural" reactions to stress, and surprise, etc, while technically true, should be instead used to lead the discussion into how we can change those things.  And more importantly, how we can use awareness and training to minimize needing a "startle reaction" or a "flinch reaction."

Tony Blauer spends a lot of time mis-characterizing stress reactions, and has made a lot of money teaching primal reactions to physical stressors in altercations to police officers.  For your average police officer, his methods aren't any more effective than anything else, but seem that way because for perhaps the first time, officers actually have time in a seminar to work force-on-force to actual scenarios.  The LEOs come out ahead, because the scenario/stress training makes them more effective--and Blauer's techniques get the credit, even though they aren't really any more effective than what the police officer knew before.

People can do incredibly complex things while under severe stress.  It takes a lot of training, but it can be done.  Will most people train that much?  Of course not.  As such, simplifying the actions needed will mean that most people can indeed learn to be effective in shorter periods of time. 

That's not remotely the same thing as saying that people can't handle fine motor skills under stress, or that your brain will automatically be lower functioning and you can't help it, or that you must have tunnel vision and target focus and nothing can be done about it.

You can train yourself to snap out of tunnel vision, you can train yourself to change from a threat focus, you can train yourself to handle complex tasks as an automatic matter of course.  Everyone here had better hope so for that last one, because drawing a gun from concealment and firing it contains a whole host of fine motor skills in a complex series. 

Why is it completely possible to do, however?  Because people practice it, and it becomes a single task for the brain, not a succession of tasks.  And then people can do it under stress.

Regarding self-defense, both empty-hand and using weapons, training theory shows that 1) it isn't as simple as "gross motor skil vs fine motor skillsl" or anything else people would like you to believe, and 2) people's brains DO act differently under high stress levels, AND this can be trained just like everything else.

Regarding competitions:

My contention is simply that most people won't take classes, and without external reasons, won't necessarily practice much on their own.  In addition, most people don't actually know what they are bad at, don't know what levels are possible, and don't understand what really is considered basic-level in terms of skills.  Shooting a competition every once in awhile gives many of those things---you see other shooters of other skill levels, you get a chance to try new things that test your shooting skills so that you can see how you are deficient, and you can see how you stack up at least locally.  And if you fail miserably, that tends to be impetus to go practice to get better.  :)

That is separate from whether or not any specific kind of training is effective. Competitions aren't training, they are tests.

The big difference is who these training methods are meant for, the compition style training methods are better for at least a segment of the civilian self defense market, it makes training fun and gives them measurables where they can see their progress (and who is not at least a little competitive).  The other is directed more toward the professional operator, the guy who faces these challenges every day and needs to train in shorter spurts and does it not because it is fun but because his life depends upon it.

And here, I think is where people misunderstand.  Because that simply is not how it is, really---or at least, not how I mean it.  I keep using names like Mike Seeklander, Shannon Smith, and Bill Rogers--and the reason for that is because they are all trainers of law enforcement and military (especially Bill Rogers, whose school used to not even be open to regular folks because 1) it was always full-up with people from the military, to include SEAL, special forces, and Delta, and 2) the government specifically put in his contract that he couldn't teach these methods to anyone but them) and they simply disagree strongly with what Shawn is saying.  I use names like Smith, Milionis, Puente, and Vogel, because each are (or were) LEO or military and involved with altercations, AND are competition shooters.

You see, there ISN'T a dichotomy here.  This isn't a competition world vs tactical world, much as some people like to think it.  The competition world tests shooting skills.  And practicing for competition means practicing shooting skills.  The tactical world USES shooting skills integrated into a larger skill set that includes decision-making and different situations (and equipment).  As such, saying that training for competition shooting makes you bad at self-defense is like saying that rally racing makes you worse at road trips.

It's about that silly.

I will agree that citizen, military, and LEO training should be different---because the applications, rules, equipment, and goals are very different. However, the shooting skills don't change.  Their applications do, and where they are focused obviously does.  (For example, if you know that your job will have you wearing gloves 90% of the time, you should practice and train wearing gloves.  If you will normally be wearing full gear when using a handgun, and only using that handgun because your rifle has malfunctioned, then you should train that way.  That doesn't mean when you are first learning how to shoot a handgun, you need to wear full gear---but it does certainly mean that later on, you should practice transitioning from a rifle to a pistol, and work on using that pistol effectively wearing your gear.)

But fast effective shooting?  Getting the gun out, getting accurate shots on target at speed?  That doesn't change.  Which is why it interests me that people teach techniques known to be non-optimal for shooting skills.

Personally I think everyone would benefit from some of both types of training, and as far as the major amount someone would do would need to be directed at which ever system is right for their needs.

I think---that there is less difference than you might think, and that the two "types" of training aren't that one is for competitors and citizens, and the other is for LEOs and operators. 

I teach a shooting skills class.  That is applicable to anyone, because it is specifically about effective handgun technique. 

I also teach a CCW course which is for people specifically wanting to understand and practice techniques for concealed carry, and go through scenario training for CCW---and that class would only be useful for military and LEO folks in their regular-citizen lives, because the focus is on CCW technique and state/federal use of force laws---so military ROE are not a part of it, nor would the laws and choices part make sense for LEOs working on getting better with their backup gun.  The techniques would be useful for them, but the scenarios and choices would only be relevant to their regular-citizen lives.

I also teach a CQT course which includes lots of physical drills, stress training, and force-on-force practice---which would be applicable to citizens, military, or LEOs.  Military and LEO folks are welcome to wear their duty gear for parts of the class, to learn how to integrate the empty-hand work with their weapons kit.

I could go on, but I think you see the point:  some classes have a focus that is applicable to certain groups, and some topics I don't teach.  (For example, I don't teach any carbine or rifle classes, so anyone interested in CQB rifle gets sent to Jon Wallace.)  However, many classes really ARE for everyone, and there isn't any separation between groups.  It is true that most of what I teach is oriented toward regular citizens---BUT, quite frankly, most military and LEO folks need basic gun-handling skills, too.

I do think certain groups have done some really effective marketing to make people think that their students will learn Real Operator Stuff, under the assumption that Real Operator Stuff is significantly different.    (You can see it with groups like HammerFour, American Defense Enterprises, and the Israeli Combat Shooting folks.) 

And yet----the one thing that many real operators say is that they often got civilian specialists brought in to teach them to shoot.  :)    (Example:  http://fastacademy.net/wp/?p=157  ---and Shannon Smith also talks elsewhere about when he was in the military, and how they brought in Jerry Barnhardt to teach them how to shoot better.)

I do also like the fact that the Army Marksmanship Unit is composed to people who shoot all SORTS of competitions, teach other members of the military, and also deploy regularly.    (I've shot with Travis Tomasie, Max Michel Jr, and Lee Dimaculangan, and I've seen Shane Coley, Daniel Horner and Robbie Johnson shoot---various USPSA, Multigun, and Steel Challenge matches.  Horner is a beast at Multigun, by the way.  And oddly enough, they never argue that their competition training makes them worse at their military actions, or at defending themselves.  We hope not, because they train OTHER military folks to shoot better.)

So---I think discussions like this are useful.  I also think that many people in the tactical world set up a false separation between "competition shooters" and "real tactical shooters" which just isn't true.  (Many competition shooters don't help, either, so this isn't a one-sided thing.)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
Jt, it seems you are getting a little stressed yourself. You are obviously too emotionally invested in this topic to continue it in a reasonable way. It seems you are forgeting, or choosing to ignore, things I have already posted. So before you get any more personal Im going to take a break. I am fine with agreeing to disagree.

So, you can't refute what I said, and have no logical argument to make?  Ok, I am fine with disagreeing.

While I was typing this I recieved a reply from Trevor. JT feel free to ignore, distort or discredit the following. Everyone else try to be objective and come to your own conclusion.

If I have distorted anything, or said anything non-factual or illogical, feel free to point it out.  That is what discussion is for, after all.  If, however, you simply cannot actually argue my points, don't attempt to say it is because I'm ignoring or distorting facts.

After all, you are the one who isn't answering questions, and have been continuing ignoring facts and logical arguments I've stated.

Quote from: Trevor
Here is an explanation, references, argument, and a few final comments.

The body alarm system in reactive situations at face reading distance activates the amygdalla and causes a person to instinctively or intuitively react to a threat.  This involves squaring towards the threat and looking directly at and focusing on the threat.  Nothing in our alarm system tells us to focus on a 1/8 wide piece of metal or plastic that has no relation to the threat.  The amygdalla when "activated" is a shorter loop and interrupts deliberate thought.  The deliberate or higher brain must play catch up.

With less duress and more time, the deliberate thought loop can kick in allowing a person to make a choice that is counter instinctive or counter intuitive, such as to focus on one's sights.  This is why I say sighted fire is mostly a deliberate choice.  The amount of time needed to switch to this loop is operator and training dependent, but it is clear under more duress with less time, it is less likely to happen.

You have 6 degrees more or less of direct vision.  This is a very small (tunnel vision like) field of view for the best focus.  Under duress, since clarity of the threat is of utmost importance, you will not instinctively or intuitively put any object in front of you to obstruct that line of sight unless it is done to shield you from the attack protectively.  So you will not want a gun up in your face in your direct line of sight.

This---contains a number of facts along with a number of conclusions that are not supported by those facts.  Taking them in order:

The body alarm system in reactive situations at face reading distance activates the amygdalla and causes a person to instinctively or intuitively react to a threat.  This involves squaring towards the threat and looking directly at and focusing on the threat.

True, with the caveat that while that is most general the initial reaction, it is not the only reaction possible, and it isn't what has to continue happening after the initial reaction.  (I also note that squaring towards the threat ignores the flinch reaction, which is also fairly common depending on the type of stressor induced.)

Nothing in our alarm system tells us to focus on a 1/8 wide piece of metal or plastic that has no relation to the threat.  The amygdalla when "activated" is a shorter loop and interrupts deliberate thought.  The deliberate or higher brain must play catch up.

True in that nothing in our alarm system tells us to do that---which is not the same thing as saying that we cannot do it.  And even if people haven't trained in defensive reactions initially (which certainly can be done), again, the fact that the amygdala "is a shorter loop and interrupts deliberate thought" doesn't mean that after the initial reaction, higher thought (and other choices, such as focusing on a point) is impossible.   

The initial reaction (which is actually more variable than the "square to them and focus on them" listed above) is just that---initial.  What happens immediately after is subject to many different things.

I agree with the last sentence here, because obviously the more time someone has to react, and the less stress they are under, the better their reaction will be.  And I won't argue that using the sights is a deliberate choice. 

Hm.  You are aware that a standard flinch reaction to stress is to turn away, duck, and raise the hands between the person and the perceived attacker?  As such, your contention above simply isn't true.

In addition, after the first initial reaction (and sometimes as part of the first initial reaction), many things can occur with training.  For example, plenty of people have been trained to deal with sudden attacks wherein their startle reaction includes reflexive blocks which transition immediately into offensive techniques that include having their hands in front of their face. 

It simply doesn't work this way.  I'd be interested in seeing any research you'd like to cite that supports your contention.

In theory you might be able to condition someone to use their sights intuitively, but this would require enough repetitions while in a body alarm reaction mode to overcome 1000s of years of evolution.

Actually, in "body alarm reaction mode" (or, as most people say it, "under stress") lots of people can and have been trained to do very complex things, many of which are significantly more difficult than holding a gun high enough so that the sights are superimposed on a close target.

Evolution is a curious thing---and our reactions to stress can vary wildly.  It is certainly true that most people's initial reaction to a sudden, significant stressor is strongly reflexive, and tends to occur in one of two modes (either flinch/avoid response, or a square up/hands up response) but what happens after that is significantly variable and highly influenced by training.

Training without the amygdalla activated (range training) will not work as well for conditioning because it is in a different psychological context.  Then on top of this, you would have to train in a fine motor skill (aligning sights) during times of high stress and rapid heat action.

Pulling the trigger = fine motor skill.  Drawing the handgun from a concealment holster = fine motor skill.  Pointing your finger at someone and making sure the sights are sufficiently on target for the situation?  Still a fine motor skill---and no more difficult than the rest.

I do certainly agree that training for stress situations without training IN stressful situations is significantly non-optimal.  As I told Shawn, it isn't necessary, as plenty of people defend themselves with firearms each year without having ever had a stress-based course, but for people wanting to actually learn how to defend themselves, stress-based courses, force-on-force iterations, and scenario training really can make a difference.

There absolutely is a place for sighted fire, but I think we are wasting too much time training it under conditions when it will never be used and then not training the actual skill that will be used in those conditions. 

I have yet to see how a failure of reaction training means that sighted fire should not be used.  Meaning, poor training for effective incident reaction means a non-optimal reaction, mostly that people flail badly, yank out the gun one-handed and engage in wild, rapid, unsighted fire with poor results. 

How does that mean that training shouldn't include sights?

References:

--NYPD SOP9-
http://www.virginiacops.org/articles/shooting/combat.htm
The shooting distances where Officers survived, remained almost the same during the SOP years (1970-1979), and for a random sampling of cases going back as far as 1929. 4,000 cases were reviewed. The shooting distance in 75% of those cases was less than 20 feet.

Contact to 10 feet --- 51%
10 feet to 20 feet --- 24%

In 70% of the cases reviewed, sight alignment was not used. Officers reported that they used instinctive or point shooting.  As the distance between the Officer and his opponent increased, some type of aiming was reported in 20% of the cases. This aiming or sighting ran from using the barrel as an aiming reference to picking up the front sight and utilizing fine sight alignment. The remaining 10% could not remember whether they had aimed or pointed and fired the weapon instinctively.

I've read that initial NYPD SOP 9.  Matter of fact, I've read several of their followup reports.

And I have yet to see how the fact that poor training causing officers to not use their sights, causing extremely poor hit rates, means that the sighting system was the point of failure.

Under stress, officers who were poorly trained ended up not using any of the techniques in which they had been trained.  (This isn't a surprise.)  As such, one-handed un-aimed fire with incredibly poor hit rates occurred. 

...how is that an argument for unsighted fire?

--"What Applegate Said"

Um, you do realize that this article directly goes against what you are saying about not raising the gun in front of your face?

"The mechanics of instinctive pointing (Applegate method) are very simple: the eyes focus on the target, then the arm is raised until the hand breaks the line of sight...keeping the elbow and wrist lock and raising the arm like a pump handle, a very accurate and consistent alignment of the pointing hand and the line of sight can be achieved.  Contrary to popular belief, Applegate did not believe that shooting was as easy as pointing your finger.  He believed that the eyes, pistol and target must be in line."

So the Applegate method goes directly against your comment earlier:
Under duress, since clarity of the threat is of utmost importance, you will not instinctively or intuitively put any object in front of you to obstruct that line of sight unless it is done to shield you from the attack protectively.  So you will not want a gun up in your face in your direct line of sight.

Matter of fact, I see that you quote Siddle.  Here's what he said about Applegate's method:

"Applegate student and survival skills preeminent instructor Bruce Siddle, who studied extensively with the Colonel states Applegate advocated to "always" bring the weapon to eye level and use the whole weapon system as the front sight."

Matter of fact: 
Applegate covered all contingencies from touching distance wherein the officer or soldier could not physically raise the pistol to techniques where more time and distance allowed bringing the pistol up to eye level, using two hands, and using the sights, "Realistic combat shooting technique therefore becomes a continuum that ranges from contact distance (so-called 'hip shooting') to two-handed, sighted fire."

"The good Colonel believed that the gun should be brought up to eye level if at all possible."

--Bruce Siddle, "Sharperning The Warrior's Edge", I don't have it with me.

Effects of survival stress: "loss of near vision"

--Every single force on force high duress scenario driven training I have conducted over a period of 20 years.  I have taught CQB courses to special force soldiers who only practice sighted fire and at the end of a 2 day course, they will admit they never used their sights under reactive duress for 2 days!

The default under severe reactive stress is always point shooting.  I have observed this and recorded it with video and it is unchanging regardless of the level of operator.  There is a gray zone where training will allow one operator to stay more calm than another and use sights, but the close range,  reactive, high duress  situations yield the same result.

This can easily be repeated and I have consistently observed even some of the top competitive sighted shooters, Mike Hugh's for example, resort to point shooting during scenarios unless they had the opportunity to be pro-active.

Hm.  So here's my question:

1) what ranges are you talking about?
2) When you say "unsighted fire" or "point shooting" do you mean Applegate's method, or something different?

Because it seems to me that there may be a definitional issue here, among others.

For example:  at contact distance, obviously no one will be using their sights.  At ranges out to 3-5 feet, someone with basic practice at sighted fire will be able to (without looking at their sights) align the pistol to easily hit an open target.  At 6-10 feet, someone with practice at sighted fire (and thus experience with gun alignment) will be easily able to hit an open target using just the silhouette of the slide.

I'd consider that all point shooting.  Yes? 

And yet, in my opinion, the reason those folks can do that is because of practice they have made with sighted fire---understanding what pistol alignment creates good hits, having practice and gaining experience by working on understanding body alignment, grip, and pistol alignment.

For those cases where every time you say they only did point-shooting---how many of them occurred at distances where sighted fire would have actually made sense?    If none of them, then of course you saw point-shooting. 

I don't think anyone here is saying that at 5 feet, you have to have a strong front sight focus in a standard defensive situation.    So....are you saying that people should only (or even mostly) train for 5-15 feet, and wide-open targets?  Or are you saying that people who trained in sighted fire, when put into a high stress situation in which their target was at 12 yards or so, STILL only performed point-shooting?

So---the question really is, for those people you have seen all point shoot:  At what ranges were they (because at 3 feet, of course you don't bother using the sights) and more importantly, would those people have been able to get the hits they did without the experience they had in sight alignment and gun alignment?

In other words, if we compared four groups of people:

1) Completely untrained
2) Trained in unsighted fire only
3) trained in sighted fire only
4) trained in sighted fire with practice at close-range shooting

...would group #2 actually do better than group #3?  Is there any research on this? 

My person opinion is that if group 2 and 3 both had no stress training, under actual stress conditions at worst the group's abilities would be equal, and more likely, #3 would do better.  However, that's just my opinion because I haven't seen any actual research comparing groups like this.

Have you?  Do you have any?  If so, I'd like to see it.

-- Review of over 200 life and death shootings caught on video

Did you know the type and level of training for those shootings?  The reason I ask is that Shawn's contention was that:

"officers and operators will most often not use their sights, despite any type and level of training"

...and as such, most videos I've seen of shootings don't give any training information.

--Medical studies investigating the effects of survival stress (various sources, I don;t have time to find them all)

I'd be interested in seeing them, if you could post them.  Mostly because some of the statements you've made above are phrased in too absolute of a fashion for actual truth, so I'm interested in what the research you've read actually says.

There is not one empirical study which has shown sighted fire as a primary means of dealing with reactive, close range, threats.  If some trainer actually could get people to use sighted fire under severe duress, wouldn't they record the facts and soon become the greatest firearms trainer on earth?

Well, some people might ask Bill Rogers or Tom Givens, as a suggestion.  Of course, they merely have thousands of students as opposed to having done actual research, so you may not count that.  I'll note that I don't consider their information actual empirical research, either, though the data Tom Givens is compiling is very very close to it.

And chances are you'd say "well, those weren't all close-range" or something similar.  That does remind me---are you saying that high stress causes people to only use point shooting, or does it have to be high stress AND close range?  Because, after all, close-range shooting on an open target means you don't NEED to use the sights much, so there is more going on than merely stress reactions.

Your contention seems to be that since no one uses their sights in reactive, close-range, high-stress threats, that people shouldn't bother teaching sighted fire, and that point shooting should be taught strictly instead.

And yet---what data do you have showing that people taught point-shooting-only 1) are accurate at close-range faster, 2) react any better under high-stress situations when compared to people who are taught sighted fire?

You say that you've taught lots of CQB, and no one used their sights, even though they were taught sighted fire only.  (Which is odd, really, since I'd expect that special forces folks would have been taught shooting from retention positions and such, so I would have assumed they would have practiced unsighted fire before.)   So---how'd they do? 

Did they use their knowledge of body alignment, grip and gun alignment, and their experience with the gun silhouette to instinctively align the gun properly at close range?  If they hadn't had that sighted-fire experience, that experience that taught them where the bullet would go given certain alignment of the gun?

Would they have done better if they had only been taught unsighted fire? 

What part of this actually supports the idea that teaching unsighted fire makes you better at close-range shooting?

I have asked for evidence from the point shooting disbelievers and they can only come up with anecdotal evidence, and we all know that stress effects your memory, or do I have to prove that too?  Then they demand proof from me, and I provide study after study and they do everything they can to deny it or look for little minute ways to interpret it to their liking.  With any basic rules of logic or debate, I am clearly and undeniably in the lead. 

I think---that isn't true.  As I've mentioned above.

(I'll also note that when you say that "stress effects [sic] your memory" that also influences the responses of police officers in the SOP9 who said they couldn't remember using their sights.)

The bottom line is this, I can take any sighted shooting proponent and consistently and repeatedly get them to point shoot under realistic high duress situations and record that fact.  The anti-point shooters cannot say the same.

And yet, that doesn't actually support the contention that teaching point-shooting will result in improved results.

Do you have any data that shows any comparison between training groups supporting the idea that teaching point-shooting vs teaching sighted shooting gives better results in high stress close-range situations?

I will say no more until the sighted shooters provide a shred of empirical evidence as the court is beyond clearly in my favor.  I don't care what someone said, or what someone can do on the range or in competition, or what they think they can do.  I want real empirical proof.  Tactics are like a religion to people in the same way everyone used to think their martial art was the best until people started doing MMA.  I'm not the kind of guy who ever stuck to one martial art, I was always looking for "the way" and have had 20+ years of experience while being trained in the widest possible fields of tactics and being operational in a variety of special operations units in a variety of environments.  I now say the Army/Military and range based shooters are largely inbred with tactics and beliefs.  People learn the same thing and repeat it from the same people, while never having the ability to branch out too far or empirically test it and record it.

So my simple question is:

What supports your contention that (for all the people you've seen successfully use point shooting in close-range, reactive situations) teaching them solely point-shooting will make them more effective?

All of your points seem to be based on the idea that people use point-shooting at close range.  Okay----but it doesn't necessarily follow that only teaching point shooting is actually more effective than teaching sighted shooting, or even better, teaching sighted shooting and periodically having an evolution of close-range work.

If you've got any information comparing groups like I've listed above, I'd really like to see it.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
What subjects do you teach?
(An old, ex-teacher wants to know.   I loved teaching, and during the 18 years I taught I never had a single day where I dreaded going to my classrooms.  I just couldn't make a decent living at it.)

Science.  Physics, Chemistry, and Scientific Logic, for the most part.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
Holy crap!  With all this book writing going on are any of you guys looking for part time work?  I'll work you hard enough you won't have the energy to even sign on.  LOL  BTW next time anyone cyber-stalks Shawn don't forget to check out his lifting video's.  Quite impressive.   :laugh:

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
Holy crap!  With all this book writing going on are any of you guys looking for part time work?  I'll work you hard enough you won't have the energy to even sign on.  LOL  BTW next time anyone cyber-stalks Shawn don't forget to check out his lifting video's.  Quite impressive.   :laugh:

If I need a fourth job Chris I`ll give you a call. But knowing what you do, Im not sure I want to work that hard for a living. It seems that the only profession that has more free time than firemen are school teachers  :D

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Science.  Physics, Chemistry, and Scientific Logic, for the most part.

Ah, a brother in the arts of science!

My Masters is in Biochemistry, with major hours in Physics and Math.   I held five certifications for teaching HS science (Chemistry, Physics,  Math, Biology and Earth Science). Going to school to maintain them was a never ending process, which put me more than 60 hours beyond my MS reqs.

Like I wrote before, I loved teaching and never dreaded a single day of it.  I just couldn't make any money doing it.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
the only profession that has more free time than firemen are school teachers

Surely you jest.  :D

The NE law reads that regardless of the number of "school days" per year scheduled for a high school, the "school year"  must include 1,080 instructional contact hours.   In a nine month year that can average out to 30 contact hours per week.  There is no stipulation as to how many hours a teacher must spend in order to create those instructional contact hours, but a good teacher will spend an hour outside of class for every hour in class.

Most teaching contracts  include the phrase "and any other duties the superintendent may assign...".   The end result is that during the school year your work day starts at 7AM and often ended at 10 or 10:30 PM.   THEN, you had papers to grade, lesson  plans to create or review, labs to setup or take down, tests to make or score,  in addition to monitoring the halls, or lunch room duty.  In the evenings on home game days you'd man the scoreboard clock or keep stats along the sidelines.  On away games you'd ride the bus with the players and keep states at those games as well.   Teaching is a 70+ hours per week job during the school  year, if done right. 

Show me a poor teacher, or one  who  is  always complaining about discipline problems,  and I will show you someone who puts  in 40 hours a week and recycles their lesson plans every year regardless of the advances in their area of training or the abilities of their students.  Or, they teach out of their text book and if it weren't for the teacher's edition  of that book they wouldn't have a clue as to what to do.  IOW, they don't know their own subject matter and couldn't make a living in that field even if they wanted to.

Then comes the  summers.   Certification renewal required 15 credit hours every three years, IIRC. Guess who picks up that tab?

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

In theory you might be able to condition someone to use their sights intuitively, but this would require enough repetitions while in a body alarm reaction mode to overcome 1000s of years of evolution.  Training without the amygdalla activated (range training) will not work as well for conditioning because it is in a different psychological context.  Then on top of this, you would have to train in a fine motor skill (aligning sights) during times of high stress and rapid heat action.

My BS flag flew entirely too high with this one. 

That along with the "surgical point shooting" vid, seriously, bolt a 2x4 as your sight and one might figure it out at that speed.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »
Its easy to try to attack someone's statement's, especially when they are concise, but once again, he never provided a shred of evidence to support his belief.  As usual, you have received nothing.  Everything is waiting for me to provide 1000s of pages of documents and further explanations while he has to provide nothing other than opinion.

No medical study
No high duress force on force study
No real world statistics
No documentation through video
Not even the empty  promise to be able to get people to use sights when they should regardless of the duress in training

Yes I know about flinching in this case the body doesn't even have time to evaluate the threat and it is a pure instinctive response.  The Siddle and other studies I cited confirm the squaring of a threat.  He is obscuring the argument.  Applegate says to eye level.  In my opinion, since he is dead, that is the top of the slide more or less to eye level, with the eyes looking over the top.  Focus is on the threat, not the sights with peripheral awareness of gun alignment.  People will keep it outside of that cone, the bulk of the gun does not obstruct direct vision.  Point shooting is done more out of the level of duress than the range to the target.

Additionally the basic thing that indicates practicing point shooting will make someone better at point shooting than having to wing it from sighted fire is called "specificity."  It a concept in motor learning that says your performance and skill is best when your training is closest  to the task.

Additionally not having competence in point shooting then having to perform it in life and death situations creates as awkwardness that could actually increase stress because the person is under demand to do something unfamiliar. 

Does it make any sense that someone who practices point shooting is going to be worse at than someone who doesn't?  The answer is obvious. Shouldn't you practice as closely as possible what you will actually do under the conditions in which you will do it?  Can he prove the opposite, because common sense, logic, and the entire motor learning world is on my side.

I am not going to provide any more facts or research, because he has provided not a shred of evidence.  Once again, the man writes almost a page and can't pull out a single bit of empirical evidence.  I would just ask him for more evidence other than because "so and so said so."

Trevor

www.88tactical.com

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
That is ONE FAT COP

It is unbelievable that they would allow him to continue to work in such a physically demanding job.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »
It is unbelievable that they would allow him to continue to work in such a physically demanding job.

Google "Chris Parent Bellevue". The Dept tried to fire him due to his weight and inability to pass the firearms qual. Ended up being overturned in court and cost them a bunch of money.

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
Sean/Tom:

Seems like the Two of You have at least one collaborative Self Defense book between you.   Probably more.

It would be beneficial to Everyone in the Self-Defense Realm if you would work together to write that book and publish it.   [You already have about half of it written up above.]

You both don't actually have to agree on SD methodology, either.   Both of your various viewpoints contain reams of validity.   The book could be written point/counterpoint.   Let the readers sort it out for themselves.

All I ask of you is Attribution Credit for the Idea in the foreword.   And....I'll even buy a copy.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »
Its easy to try to attack someone's statement's, especially when they are concise, but once again, he never provided a shred of evidence to support his belief.  As usual, you have received nothing.  Everything is waiting for me to provide 1000s of pages of documents and further explanations while he has to provide nothing other than opinion.

Perhaps Trevor is unused to actual discussions in which the person making the claim needs to provide the support?

I asked where your data was.  And I provided commentary on what was initially supplied, including pointing out areas where the logic failed, where the logic didn't not cover the conclusions stated, and asking about definitions for the sake of clarity.

Trevor made some fairly absolute statements, and said he had research to back it up.  As the person making the assertions, it is actually normal in standard debate (and logical argument) for that person to then have to 1) show their research sources, and 2) actually be able support their argument with logic.

No medical study
No high duress force on force study
No real world statistics
No documentation through video
Not even the empty  promise to be able to get people to use sights when they should regardless of the duress in training

Are you saying what you didn't provide?  Or what I should have provided?

Because, you see, I started off by asking you about what you meant---because, for example, one of the things that Trevor said was directly contradicted by one of his sources, so first, attempting to clarify what "point-shooting" means to Trevor was rather important.

Secondly, even if his own personal experience is completely and utterly true and can be generalized to the entire population, there were some logical gaps between the observation of "people don't use sights as close distance" to the conclusion of "people should teach point-shooting instead of sighted shooting."  As such, asking for research data supporting the large gap in the middle seems pretty straightforward.

You made the assertion.  As such, I'm trying to understand how you reached your conclusions given those gaps.

Yes I know about flinching in this case the body doesn't even have time to evaluate the threat and it is a pure instinctive response.  The Siddle and other studies I cited confirm the squaring of a threat.  He is obscuring the argument.

No, there is more than one standard instinctive response to attacks and assaults.  If you are assuming there is just one, then you are ignoring a significant amount of research regarding fight/freeze/flinch responses.  If you are trying to say that your contentions are only with regard to people undergoing the "square up to them" instinct, then simply say so.  If you are trying to say that your contentions are true for everyone, then you are simply wrong.

Applegate says to eye level.  In my opinion, since he is dead, that is the top of the slide more or less to eye level, with the eyes looking over the top.  Focus is on the threat, not the sights with peripheral awareness of gun alignment.  People will keep it outside of that cone, the bulk of the gun does not obstruct direct vision.  Point shooting is done more out of the level of duress than the range to the target.

Hmm.  That isn't what you said earlier---you said people wouldn't raise the gun up.  If that has turned into "well, they won't put the WHOLE gun into your sight line" then that is something different.  After all, if the "top of the slide more or less to eye level" doesn't that actually put the sights in front of your eyes?

Level of duress as opposed to range?  Aren't those two things related?  Or are you saying that in response to someone shooting furiously at you from 50 yards people will draw the gun and point shoot back? 

Additionally the basic thing that indicates practicing point shooting will make someone better at point shooting than having to wing it from sighted fire is called "specificity."  It a concept in motor learning that says your performance and skill is best when your training is closest  to the task.

So, again I ask:  You say that you have trained lots and lots of people whose only training was sighted shooting, and they point-shot under specific circumstances.  These were people you said did lots of training---so, did they have any difficulties point-shooting? 

Again:  Do you have any data comparing competency between groups who were only taught point-shooting, groups who were only taught sighted shooting, and groups that were taught both?

For example, I would think that people who had practice with sighted shooting, thus practice in understanding what sort of gun alignment produced what sorts of hits, who also practiced point shooting (especially Trevor's new revision of point shooting as having the slide aligned with the eyes) would do far better than people who only had practice at point shooting, as said practice would take a lot more work to understand gun and body alignment and how it made a difference to hits.  That's just my opinion, though, so I'm curious as to the answers to my questions, above.

Additionally not having competence in point shooting then having to perform it in life and death situations creates as awkwardness that could actually increase stress because the person is under demand to do something unfamiliar.

Does it make any sense that someone who practices point shooting is going to be worse at than someone who doesn't?  The answer is obvious. Shouldn't you practice as closely as possible what you will actually do under the conditions in which you will do it?  Can he prove the opposite, because common sense, logic, and the entire motor learning world is on my side.

So---what I see is "here's what I believe, I believe it strongly, I have made conclusions based on what I believe, and if anyone asks about definitions or points out gaps in the logic, I'm going to say 'can he prove the opposite' because everything is on my side though I won't produce research data to support my side."

I agree that practice in something will make you better at something.  I agree that practice under stress will make you better at handling stress. 

I disagree with the contention that teaching only point-shooting will be optimal.  I disagree with the contention that teaching point-shooting first (if both are to be taught) will be optimal.  Trevor obviously disagrees. 

And I'd like him to support his contentions by simply answering my questions.  If he isn't interested, that's fine.  If he can't provide research support, that's fine.  However, this comment below:

I am not going to provide any more facts or research, because he has provided not a shred of evidence.  Once again, the man writes almost a page and can't pull out a single bit of empirical evidence.  I would just ask him for more evidence other than because "so and so said so."

...is and issue, and here's why.  If he can't be bothered to define what he means, if he can't be bothered to fill in the logical gaps pointed out (or if they aren't gaps, refute the argument presented), and if he won't supply the research data he uses (noting that the data he supplied in the first place was the NYPD SOP9, the old original version which has been updated a number of times based on changing training types; an article (not research) about Applegate that directly contradicted something Trevor said about how nothing would ever be raised up into the sightline; a book by Siddle; personal experience; review of videos which don't actually include training data; medical research on survival stress which isn't the same thing as stress conditions during events, unless he is using a non-standard phrase)---in other words, there isn't any actual data showing the effects of TRAINING in point-shooting versus training in sighted shooting.

Which was my question:

Quote from: ME
What supports your contention that (for all the people you've seen successfully use point shooting in close-range, reactive situations) teaching them solely point-shooting will make them more effective?

All of your points seem to be based on the idea that people use point-shooting at close range.  Okay----but it doesn't necessarily follow that only teaching point shooting is actually more effective than teaching sighted shooting, or even better, teaching sighted shooting and periodically having an evolution of close-range work.

If you've got any information comparing groups like I've listed above, I'd really like to see it.

If you don't have it, then simply say so.  If you do have it, I'd like to see it, simply because that would be an important thing for trainers to know, wouldn't it?  That would be information that lots of people should see and read.

There is a difference between saying "everyone point-shoots under sufficient duress" and saying "if you are only taught point shooting, that will make you better at defending yourself compared to any other training methodology."  There is a logical gap there.

Trevor has been asked to fill in that gap.  He has said the first part, and I'll just go ahead and agree with that premise.  However, his conclusion seems simplistic and based on logical leaps.  If there aren't logical leaps, then he should be able to support his contention. 

If he chooses not to reply, that's fine.    However, that still leaves logical gaps in his contentions.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Google "Chris Parent Bellevue". The Dept tried to fire him due to his weight and inability to pass the firearms qual. Ended up being overturned in court and cost them a bunch of money.

Interesting.   

Stacy fired Parent in 2007 for being overweight and unable to qualify.  Seems reasonable.

This, however, does not:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120219/NEWS01/705019775
Roger Anderson was 40 days from retirement — and the pension he would have earned after a 29-year career at the Bellevue Police Department.
Just as in the Parent case, Delaney said, Anderson will appeal his termination as he tries to salvage the $200,000 he stands to lose from his $550,000 pension fund if his termination is upheld.

The firing came six weeks before March 3 — his 55th birthday and the day he planned to retire.
Several days before, Parent, who had lost considerable weight since his termination, called Anderson to get references of instructors who could oversee his firearms test. Parent — in his 29th month of paid leave, per Stacey's order — said he wasn't interested in returning to the force. However, he wanted to take the test so he could continue to carry a weapon after he retired in January.
On Dec. 6, after he was done caring for his child, Anderson decided to test out his shoulder at the Bullet Hole, an indoor firing range in La Vista. He called Parent and told him they could meet there for Parent's test.

Parent passed the half-hour test, which requires officers to hit 70 percent of targets from varying positions and distances.
Questions about Anderson's status were put to rest, Muldoon said. Despite taking Anderson off its in-house firearms team in 2008, he said, Bellevue police sent Anderson to state training to be recertified as a firearms instructor in 2010. Anderson passed — and is qualified to administer firearms tests till 2013.

I've seen  this kind of firing take place at the state level, and for the same reasons -- to save money, even if it violates standing agreements and/or public faith.