< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Advice on Teaching Toddler Gun Safety  (Read 4082 times)

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
  • I'm just a girl with a glock.
Advice on Teaching Toddler Gun Safety
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
Any parents have any good advice?
I'm a single mom to a 2-year-old, and I want to teach her how to respect guns without being overly fearful of them.
I think I handle my firearm and storing it in a responsible manner, but I know when she goes to see her dad, he's not very careful about keeping his out of reach or locked up.  She's pretty young to understand anything too much in depth, but I'd at least like to start teaching her!
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
You have more confidence than a woman in a tampon commercial...
*Michelle*

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Advice on Teaching Toddler Gun Safety
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
Any parents have any good advice?
I'm a single mom to a 2-year-old, and I want to teach her how to respect guns without being overly fearful of them.
I think I handle my firearm and storing it in a responsible manner, but I know when she goes to see her dad, he's not very careful about keeping his out of reach or locked up.  She's pretty young to understand anything too much in depth, but I'd at least like to start teaching her!
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
At that age, there's not much you can teach that would be all that practical with regard to gun safety.   If there is an unsafe environment for your kid when she goes to visit her dad, then that's a bigger issue than what you can teach the kid.  There's no way to teach a 2 year old enough to overcome a careless adult in this case. 

Seems to me that you need to have a frank discussion with the dad and then reflect on whether you want your daughter in that environment if you don't get the assurance you need.  I can't imagine putting a curious toddler into an area with access to a loaded firearm. 

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
Believe me...there's been a lot of frustration on my part as far as that goes.  There are legal issues that go along with visitations, and if he says the guns are out of reach and safe, I can't legally enter and check.  I just know how they have been stored in the past, so there's some fear that goes along with that.  I guess careless would be the best word to describe what I have seen before.
*Michelle*

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Children's ability to comprehend abstract concepts like death and danger at the age of two is very limited.  The Eddie Eagle program is about the best thing for kids of that age.  It's very simply and straight-forward.

STOP!
Don't touch!
Leave the area!
Tell an adult.

The NFOA has some Eddie Eagle materials that I would be happy to mail to you if you'd like to message me with your address.  I would recommend reading through the materials with your daughter on a fairly frequent basis - maybe if you have story time before bed.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
Children's ability to comprehend abstract concepts like death and danger at the age of two is very limited.  The Eddie Eagle program is about the best thing for kids of that age.  It's very simply and straight-forward.

STOP!
Don't touch!
Leave the area!
Tell an adult.

The NFOA has some Eddie Eagle materials that I would be happy to mail to you if you'd like to message me with your address.  I would recommend reading through the materials with your daughter on a fairly frequent basis - maybe if you have story time before bed.

+1

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
Believe me...there's been a lot of frustration on my part as far as that goes.  There are legal issues that go along with visitations, and if he says the guns are out of reach and safe, I can't legally enter and check.  I just know how they have been stored in the past, so there's some fear that goes along with that.  I guess careless would be the best word to describe what I have seen before.

Sorry to hear that.  You obviously have to balance what's best for your child with what the legal system compels you to do.  I won't pretend to give advice in that area. 

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
I was always told from the when I was that little not to touch.  I think if you say that enough times that they do get it.  I know that's how I have always been with my kids.  Anytime they were at my dad's house and they would ask to see one of my dad's guns cause he had them in a case I would tell them no we don't touch them.  If they ask why then you say how they could hurt someone if they had bullets in them it's more of a repetition of telling them until they get a little older to really understand the just of things.  When I was about 6 or 7 my dad would tell me the same thing and also tell me that I can only handle a gun when he was around cause he would take me shooting and we did a lot of that.  With that said I have always respected firearms from a very little age and it's all about repetition if they ask tell them can't touch if they are looking at them through a glass case don't touch.  I have all boys so even a play gun I have always told them don't point it at people and then I would tell them the dangers of real guns.  Today they love to shoot but they don't get my guns out they know that they can only handle them in target practice and are not allowed to touch them unless I'm around.  I have even stressed I don't even want their friends dads to take them out target shooting because I'm not there I do not know how that father is around guns so that's also a big no no.   I'm a mom too so I can understand your concerns.
ZERO PLANNING ON YOUR PART CONSTITUTES AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Letting your child enter an area with uncontrolled guns, is child endangerment.    Small children cannot be trusted to make correct choices, we do that for them.  If there is an adult in your child's life that is not making correct choices for your child, and you allow your child time with that adult, you are likewise responsible for anything that happens to that child.

The first thing that goes into a house with a child, is a lockable safe.  Second comes a gun. 

Do not allow your child into any area with guns laying around, in the open.  No safe, guns not in the safe, do not allow your child to enter that house.  Plain and simple.  This rule applies to 6 month olds, 2 year olds, 6 year olds, 14 year olds, or anyone not able to understand the correct use of firearms.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:42:33 PM by Gary »

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
I understand what child endangerment is.  I work in the Judicial system in some capacity, so I know what I can and can't do legally.  I'm also a really great mom...and I could be a little sensitive towards feeling like I'm being viewed as not doing what's best or safest for my kid.

That being said...with my situation, I have to take the word of someone else that the guns are secured and not accessible to my daughter.  I don't have any hard evidence that they aren't.  However, I don't have control of that part of her life, so I'm trying to be proactive in the ways I can.  I just want to start teaching my daughter as early as possible on what to do if she's ever faced with a situation where an unsecured gun is found.  You have to understand that it's not just as easy as not letting your child in an area with uncontrolled guns.  I simply wanted advice on how to start teaching her what to do if she was faced with the situation.  I have no idea if there's any danger, so that wasn't the point of the post, and now I'm all sensitive about a post on the internet...haha.  I need to get out more.

I would really appreciate the material referenced.  I'll try to figure out this message thing and send my addy over.

*Michelle*

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »
I'm also a really great mom...and I could be a little sensitive towards feeling like I'm being viewed as not doing what's best or safest for my kid.

Those that have no experience dealing with child custody, court orders and non cooperative ex spouses should just keep their ignorance to themselves
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »
Some good post and suggestions thus far; I particularly like the first reply from Bucket and having that frank discussion with dad. I have a feeling daddy loves his little girl too, and he maybe needs to reflect for just a moment on the severity of consequence if he chooses to be irresponsible :angry:
Given your comments in the first post in regards to having respect w/out being over fearful, makes me feel like you are a fairly `smart cookie`...lol..so I hope dad shows a little responsibility and smarts too.
Even at the age of 11 & 13 yrs. old now, I generally keep all firearms and ammo locked up. My kids know the dangers of firearms and that they are `hands off` without me being present, and that if they ever want to handle (or shoot) said firearms then all they need to do is ask. Nowadays I am more weary of some of the friends my kids might have over, and their curiosity, so more than ever they are behind locked doors and safe.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »

STOP!
Don't touch!
Leave the area!
Tell an adult.

I'll give this another +1 for the age group in question.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Michella, I'll try to get the materials out to you early next week.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »
Cathy Jackson writes a blog called The Cornered Cat.  It's all about gun issues related to kids and women.  It may be little old for your daughter but she has some excellent advice.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
Michella, good for you for asking questions about keeping your daughter safe.
Don't let any comments here get you down or upset, just keep reading and asking and learning, and always trust your intuition.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »
As a young child I remember my parents telling me to not touch the electrical outlets. Did it work, no, did I finally get bit, yes, did I ever do it again, NO!

The big problem is that guns seldom offer second chances for mistakes. So absolutly, reinforce because there is no telling where a child might gain access to a gun, a neighbors, visitation or even find one in the street. But will there be assurances that your child will not ever have access? No. Is the risk of the second amendment worth it, yes. The world is a dangerous place, but that is why God gave us prayer!

I do not think my son ever really got it until the first time he shot a 20ga shotgun. The noise and kick was a good instructor of the power and violence of firearms which kind of soured him on guns for a few years. But he certainly respected them after that! Maybe that is why children that have grown up around guns in outdoors or hunting families tend to be more safe. They understand the true power of a firearm.

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far and the materials I received in the mail!  I've been sharing with some of my mom friends, so it's being put to good use.

I apologize for the tone of my last post.  I was feeling kind of defensive.  Perhaps I didn't state my question and the circumstances as clearly as I should have when I started the topic.  I have had conversations with her father about this subject, and I know that he loves her and cares about her deeply.  I also know what I've seen in the past.  I worry because I know the consequences of carelessness when there's deadly weapons involved.  Like DangerousDrummer said, there's no telling where a child might gain access to a gun...and even with custody, there are times when I'm not around her.  I can't control every circumstance, but I do want to try to mitigate the risk of something tragic happening if she's faced with a potentially dangerous situation.  That's why I'm trying to teach her now...and keep teaching her!

She has been doing pretty well with repeating the Eagle Eddie program mantra every time I carry around her, so that's been a good start! 
*Michelle*

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »
Like DangerousDrummer said, there's no telling where a child might gain access to a gun...and even with custody, there are times when I'm not around her. 

At some point in their lives, they will be around a firearm.

It may be your own.

It may be their best friend's house.

It may be a random 'new friend's house.

It might be at a group get together somewhere (scouts, etc).

Might be at a park or school (kid bringing for private show & tell).

But it will happen.

The above is the best reason why every parent should teach basic gun safety (or avoidance) to their children... whether they like guns or vilify them.

Kudos on implementing the Eagle Eddie program and the daughter picking up on it.  KISS is very critical for kids.  Love the short phrases :).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
Michelle, just a thought but you might share the Eddie Eagle materials with her father.  Of course, I have no way of knowing how he would react to that so I'm only tossing it out for your consideration.

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
Hey Toby!
I was planning on it the next time he comes to see her.  It is a good reminder to share with anyone she goes to see.  No one would intentionally place her in danger, but I really appreciate the strategies on minimizing the chance of a tragic situation taking place due to oversight or underestimation of how squirrely a toddler can be.  :)
*Michelle*