< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Zeroed in my new Marlin 795 this afternoon.  (Read 808 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Zeroed in my new Marlin 795 this afternoon.
« on: June 07, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
I had installed a 4X scope with standoff rings so I could use the iron sights IF the scope got messed up and lost its calibration.  I sighted the bulls with my iron sights on the 21 yard range and move the settings on the scope so the crosshairs were setting on the bull.  After the first ten rounds a four inch move left adjustment and a 1 inch move up adjustment to the scope and the 795, using CCI Standard 22LR with 1,070'/s ammo, was putting lead into holes which could be covered with a dime. 

Then I moved over to the 100 yard range and rotated the vertical adjustment 22 clicks up after some test shots. Using the second vertical mildot, four  of the last five rounds went into the first quadrant of the 3" bullseye and the fourth was barely outside that quadrant at 11 O'clock.  I could cover those four shots with a 50 cent piece.

The Marlin 795 is a sweet shooting rifle and with standard .22LR bullets is very accurate.  The trigger pull was a little more than I like in a rifle.  There is definite resistant before the release, but with a little practice it was easy to control.   A friend at the range had a Ruger 10/22.  The trigger pull on his gun was like what I was used to.  All I had to do was "think" of pulling the trigger and it released.  Really soft and short.

The Marlin 795 manual recommends using high velocity .22LR and I was a little concerned about using subsonic ammunition (I wanted the shots to be quiet without using a silencer) and having the blowback fail to cycle the bolt.  But, the CCI Standard 1,070'/s ammo worked great.  I had only one round out of a hundred fail  to fire.  I put it back in and it fired fine the second time, so  the primer probably wasn't evenly distributed around the rim.

All in all, the Marlin 795 exceeded my expectations for an inexpensive .22 plinking rifle.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Zeroed in my new Marlin 795 this afternoon.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
The 795 is a great rifle.  Now you need to come shoot the Rimfire Sporter match at the Ike's tomorrow.