< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Crazy  (Read 1170 times)

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
Crazy
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
Today, my daughter and I had a meeting with her school. I picked her up, came home so she could change and then we left again after a few minutes. Sometime after the meeting, my daughter's phone rang...a neighbor was calling to make sure she was OK. The neighbor asked where I was and my daughter told her I was with her. She said don't go home, hung up and called me. She told me that at that moment, the Omaha Police were going through my yard and had the street blocked off. She had just got home herself but had heard rumors that there had been a shooting in our area.

I told her thanks, hung up and called the Police Front Desk. I asked if everything was OK and told them I was on my way. I parked at a neighbor's, had my daughter stay with them and I walked up to talk to the Officers.

I'm actually confused on what happened, but it sounds like 3 younger males jumped over my back fence, ran through my yard, jumped the front fence and stopped a car in the street in order to rob the driver and passenger. They immediately started shooting (another neighbor told me all 3 were holding their handguns "gangsta style"). I don't believe anyone was hit, but after they ran out of ammo, everyone ran again back through my yard. Another neighbor told me that she had seen us drive off and when we turned the next corner, that's when the shots were fired. Literally two blocks after I backed out of the drive is when this happened. The shooters were either likely in my backyard or in my neighbor's back yard when we went outside to get into the truck.

I am not sure yet if anyone was caught, what happened, etc., but there were yellow cones everywhere in front of my house, sidewalk and driveway. The Officers offered to take down the tape so I could go ahead and pull in the driveway and head on in the house, but I didn't want to interrupt their investigation, so I told them to carry on and we'd come back later.

I do want to say that the Officers were considerate, compassionate and took time to insure everyone was OK and cleaned up afterwards. I am just glad that we weren't home and that none of the neighbors or Officers were hurt. Pretty scarey stuff when it comes to your neighborhood, let alone your house.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
HOLY SHOOTS!!!!

I think the "Keep Calm and Carry On" applies here. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
Wow.

Glad you (and more importantly the daughter) weren't involved.

Glad it appears no one was hurt.

Glad the OPD were great about it all.

Count them blessings...
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
Ouch, Cliff!
I'm glad to hear you, your daughter & neighbors are all safe!

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
Don't give out your address, but what neighborhood did this happen in?   Just curious.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. At least I wasn't the target of course, but still pretty unsettling. I am in the North Benson area. It's always been really quiet here, I am at the intersection of two dead end roads so there's never too much traffic. A couple of years ago, I parked my "spare" 4X4 in the drive and forgot the chainsaw was in the back. It was still there several weeks later.

Not sure where these guys came from, but none of the neighbors recognized them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. At least I wasn't the target of course, but still pretty unsettling. I am in the North Benson area. It's always been really quiet here, I am at the intersection of two dead end roads so there's never too much traffic. A couple of years ago, I parked my "spare" 4X4 in the drive and forgot the chainsaw was in the back. It was still there several weeks later.

Not sure where these guys came from, but none of the neighbors recognized them.

I used to live across from St. Bernard's Catholic Church at 64th & Evans.  We moved out in 1996 after the neighbor's house got shot to hell after a half-botched theft of stereo equipment from my car 2 houses away. We put the place up for sale within a month. You don't need the problems that these derelicts of society create.

GET THE HELL OUT NOW, WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Sad to say, but once it starts, it will NOT stop.  You cannot fight the culture that causes these problems, you can only move away to ovoid it. It sucks that a few losers can drive you from your home, but that is what our government has created and it will not stop and will only escalate from here.   :(

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »
That plan has already been set in motion. Personally I'd love to get back out into the country, but that's a pretty expensive option around here. Back when I lived in Iowa and Texas both, living on a small acreage was cheaper than living in town. Omaha is the first city I've ever lived in though...and though there's many good things about city life and Omaha in general, I think I'm going to try to head out of town.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but tonight is my last night in this house. As of tomorrow, I will be in Elkhorn. That will be nice when all you Lincoln guys do the Saturday coffee thing...I might be able to make it once in awhile!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:22:39 PM by CliffD »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
You cannot fight the culture that causes these problems, you can only move away to ovoid it.

Exactly.  When our next door neighbors died, and the lady across the street, the folks who moved in were the subjects of frequent police calls.  When a bunch of police cars surrounded the neighbors house and police moved in from all sides with guns drawn that pretty well hastened our desire to move elsewhere.  We did.  My only complaint now is that I didn't make this move five years ago when I retired.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but tonight is my last night in this house. As of tomorrow, I will be in Elkhorn. That will be nice when all you Lincoln guys do the Saturday coffee thing...I might be able to make it once in awhile!

I'm working on it. Trying to set one up in Gretna, but the new job and finishing up my degree is kicking my tail:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »
finishing up my degree
As an old college  prof I am curious... what is your degree in?