< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: MWTS- Carbine Skillbuilder  (Read 5927 times)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: MWTS- Carbine Skillbuilder
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
If anyone whimps out, I know a guy who can take your place. Just let me know ASAP.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
Think I should throw a folding table in the Jeep to have a staging and mag prep work area? I'll have duct tape too, so Nick, if you want, you can attach your tactical umbrella to it in between drills for a shaded work area...
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Ain't a need. There is plenty of table space and overhead cover.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
I'm just wearing my competition gear.  Since there are no points for tactical beards, I'm gonna be a rebel and not wear ANY camo.  So there! 

(I'm pretty sure that Sean will make up for any camo deficiency on my part, anyway.)

I'll be wearing 5.11 tac pants---that gonna make me tactical enough for this?  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
Today's Training Objectives:
1. Accuracy
2. Speed
3. Target Discrimination (Realistic threat assessment)
4. Use of Cover (Shooting around cover)
5. Support Side Shooting
6. Making Ready
7. Knowing Your Limits
8. Cornering Techniques (Pieing)
9. Moving Targets

Stage Winners:
1. "Cold Start" (Make ready and know your limits)
Sean Naylor
2. "Shoulder to Shoulder" (Support side shooting and shooting around cover)
David Petta
3. "Threat?" (Pieing and target discrimination)
Mike Hall
4. "Mover" (Moving target)
David Petta

Overall:
1.) Thomas Howard
2.) David Petta
3.) Sean Naylor

1 & 2 were originally tied

Some Photos:
Force on force exercies for target discrimination and threat assessment

Pieing the corner with target discrimination

A live practice run on the mover

Stage run on the mover

More Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.672461046116037.1073741826.115124001849747&type=1&l=4e717f4f48

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
It was nice to meet you all. I had a great time -- it was almost as fun to watch all of the great shooters as it was to pull the trigger -- almost :)

Also, thanks for not shooting the guy in the orange shirt!

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
Outstanding class, had a ton of fun, learned a lot.  Great group too, it was nice to meet you all.

Offline fishguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
Great time guys. A big thanks to john, the landowner, and everyone that gave me great advice. I will apply it in the future when I have practice again. I was very intimidated having been the only one with an AK. I sat it down on the table next to ten ARs and asked myself if I was in the right place. Ha!  A good time and great exercises. Thanks to everyone involved.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
Agreed.  It was nice to put faces to forum names.  Thanks John for isolating a handful of skills/objectives and assembling drills and stages to practice and then evaluate them.  The talk, practice, test format was very effective.  I definitely walked away with a list of things I need to work on.  Also, big thanks to Ross for hosting the skillbuilder and sharing his land.

Everyone should bring their carbines/rifles to the annual meeting, because John has a great skillbuilder in store for the workshop there!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
Thanks Fishguy for letting me run a mag through your AK! If you come to John's next class, I'll let you get some more rounds through my AR.

Wes, I appreciate your lending me your suppressed Glock (that has a manual safety on it).  :)

John, let me know when your rifle starts going into battery with a round in the chamber  ;) My rounds have been getting real dust/dirty as I take them to the range and back multiple times. I bet that Noveske is just going to need clean, factory ammo for a good long time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:58:40 PM by NENick »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »
Hasn't had any issues with any factory ammo, even some questionable "someobscurecompany" reloads. Just your loads.. and, less consistently, mine :)

Thanks to Ross for the use of the range and taking some pics, and thanks to everyone who came out. I'll be working on getting one more skillbuilder scheduled this year, and be sure to bring your boomstick to the NFOA meeting to partake in that skillbuilder. Remember, the methodology is the same, but the training objectives will change, so you'll get a chance to be introduced to different things at each one.

I do have a Combat Carbine class, which focuses on the fundamentals of fighting with a carbine, coming up on the 22nd of September. If you are looking for something in between the skillbuilders and "this is the end the bullet comes out," with a high focus on accuracy, then Combat Carbine is for you.

You can find more info and register online from the link in my sig line.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:40:29 PM by wallace11bravo »