< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Confessions of a newb reloader  (Read 3714 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Confessions of a newb reloader
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
I just reloaded another 250 rounds and it only took me 4 hours.  That means I am whipping these puppies out at about 62 rounds per hour!   :o

Look out Hornady, at this pace I will be manufacturing ammo in no time.

Seriously though...A good 2 hours of that was working on the Dillon 550 to clean it up, one primer that went in sideways, and make adjustments.  My friend, who owns the press, asked Dillon and his machinist friend (who set up the press), whether cleaning and adjustments would help.  Both basically said "No".  His friend said that the primer shuttle had serrations on it and that was likely because Dillon new it would have issues. What?!

Now I am the type of person who has trouble accepting that a piece of machinery is not performing as it was intended...read tinkerer.  So while my friend was sleeping (he works nights), I disassembled the primer shuttle, cleaned it, applied dry lube, bent the shuttle actuation arm, and reassembled. 

Out of the ~250 rounds, I had one primer that was in upside down (or backwards depending on how you look at it), and one case that didn't get primed at all.  The backwards primer may have been because I picked it up wrong with the primer tube.  Considering that this was a major source of my distractions when I first tried reloading, I would say that is pretty damn good.  I took it VERY slow initially making sure that I had powder in the case, and a primer in the shuttle before I advanced the shell plate, but after finding that the shuttle was reliably picking up primers, I just relied on the feel of seating the primer to know it picked up one.

I'm confident that I didn't make any of my prior mistakes since I managed my distractions better.  Not to mention there were less of them.  Also, found a few .380 in the mix of cases.  Those don't work so good in a press set up for 9mm.

I will go test my rounds tomorrow.  So I feel like I am making progress.  Baby steps...baby steps.

Fly

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:40:48 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »
Out of the ~250 rounds, I had one primer that was in upside down (or backwards depending on how you look at it), and one case that didn't get primed at all.  The backwards primer may have been because I picked it up wrong with the primer tube.  Considering that this was a major source of my distractions when I first tried reloading, I would say that is pretty damn good.  I took it VERY slow initially making sure that I had powder in the case, and a primer in the shuttle before I advanced the shell plate, but after finding that the shuttle was reliably picking up primers, I just relied on the feel of seating the primer to know it picked up one.

You should indeed be able to go by feel for seating primers, even in fully progressive press.  I do, at least :).

The upside down / backwards primer - yeah, I'm not sure how that could possibly happen via the mechanisms of the press ... so blame that on yourself.  Don't forget your reading glasses next time ya load up primer tubes.

requoting:

I took it VERY slow initially making sure that I had powder in the case, and a primer in the shuttle before I advanced the shell plate,

The first thing mentioned here... making sure powder in the case.... that is required if you use a fully progressive, a turret, a single stage, or a hand reloader.  I dunno if your dillon has one or if it has room for one, but there are several powder-check dies available (including a buzzing one from dillon IIRC).

I personally am on the fence for trusting powder check dies fully and still generally insist on glancing in the case anyway.  Given that I don't have an auto bullet feeder, I'm gonna be looking that direction anyway.  Their mechanics are simple, which yields some trusting to them.  The buzzing dillon (if there is such a thing) .... I'd hope there is a simple visual indicator as well (i'll have to do some reading/looking). Seeing positive confirmation that there's powder in a case is a requirement... rather than "did NOT hear a buzz, its okay"...

As far as primer in the shuttle, I'm sure after your next batch... and assuming it starts out and runs well, you'll skip checking the shuttle completely and just rely on "hey, that seating felt empty!".

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
I dunno if your dillon has one or if it has room for one, but there are several powder-check dies available (including a buzzing one from dillon IIRC).

No...the D550 only has four stations. Maybe when I get my D650.

As far as primer in the shuttle, I'm sure after your next batch... and assuming it starts out and runs well, you'll skip checking the shuttle completely and just rely on "hey, that seating felt empty!".

Yep...that's the way it went today.  Loaded another 450 rounds.  Went pretty well tonight, though I won't really know that until I shoot all of them.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum