< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Pistol Standard Deviation  (Read 2752 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Pistol Standard Deviation
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »
I am new to reloading, though I am working with a friend who has done a lot of reloading for precision rifle.  We went to the range and chrono'd several different loads and found that we had a Standard Deviation (SD) of around 30.  However, the accuracy out to 25 yards was, in my amateur opinion, very good.  I was shooting off of a rest at a 6 (or maybe 8?) inch target and I grouped five rounds quite close.  Of course "close" is considering the basic pistol sights, my ability to hold said sights in the same position, and my trigger pull. In the attached photo, the five shots are in a line at lower left from about the 7 to 8 o'clock position.

My friend is used to seeing a much smaller SD, but logic seems to dictate that in a pistol caliber which is normally not shot beyond 25 yards, a larger SD is acceptable. 

What say you pistol reloading experts?  Is my logic sound? Edumacate me.

Fly
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:28:25 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Pistol Standard Deviation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Sounds about right to me.  I shoot for single digit SD in rifles if I can, but for handguns I doubt it wod make much of a difference unless you're doing something like IHMSA silhouettes out to 200 meters.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
If ya aint got the pistol in a vice then there's just too much movement & play that can come into effect.

Compare all the ammo you load up with some factory and go from there.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
My reloading friend chrono'd some commercial ammo and he said the SD was much lower. Waiting to hear back from him on how low that number was.

Fly

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Reloading, shooting and statistics :o  May I be excused, Mr Fly, my brain is full :laugh:

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
A variance in muzzle velocity should have little or no effect on lateral [side-to-side] point of impact.

If velocity variance has any effect on POI at all, it will most likely show up in vertical POI variance.   However, in the case of a handgun at 25 yards, POI variances due solely to velocity variances are probably not even measurable.

Some of the factors which affect variations in muzzle velocity are
variations in:

>primer brand [unless all ammo is loaded w/same primer batch]
>primer flash hole diameter
>cartridge case headstamps [different manufacturers]
>case cleaning
>bullet weights  [weigh your bullets to 0.1gr and see what you find]
>bullet seating depth
>powder charge [unless each load is weighed to 0.1gr]
>bullet seating depth
>bullet crimping
>barrel warp under heating
It's almost impossible to separate the effect of these different variables on velocity variance.

Now, a 30ft/second SD for muzzle velocity means that the entire population of your shots experiences a variance range of 180ft/second.

Example:   Assume standard distribution and an average MV of 1000ft/sec.   Then the velocity range for all shots would be 910-1090ft/sec, with an occasional flyer above or below this range.

Which is a pretty hefty variation, but probably other factors [trigger pull, etc.] would have more effect on POI.

Final Analysis:   The primary purpose of a handgun is personal protection.   What shows on your target will work for you.   Just fine.

sfg

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:16:32 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »
My reloading friend chrono'd some commercial ammo and he said the SD was much lower. Waiting to hear back from him on how low that number was.

Fly

I misspoke.  He only looked at the data on commercial ammo.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
Reloading, shooting and statistics :o  May I be excused, Mr Fly, my brain is full :laugh:

Ok...I must admit that I am a little bit of a CDO math geek.  Maybe not as much as JTH, but more than most.   ;D

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
A variance in muzzle velocity should have little or no effect on lateral [side-to-side] point of impact.

If velocity variance has any effect on POI at all, it will most likely show up in vertical POI variance.   However, in the case of a handgun at 25 yards, POI variances due solely to velocity variances are probably not even measurable.

Some of the factors which affect variations in muzzle velocity are
variations in:

>primer brand [unless all ammo is loaded w/same primer batch]
>primer flash hole diameter
>cartridge case headstamps [different manufacturers]
>case cleaning
>bullet weights  [weigh your bullets to 0.1gr and see what you find]
>bullet seating depth
>powder charge [unless each load is weighed to 0.1gr]
>bullet seating depth
>bullet crimping
>barrel warp under heating
It's almost impossible to separate the effect of these different variables on velocity variance.

Now, a 30ft/second SD for muzzle velocity means that the entire population of your shots experiences a variance range of 180ft/second.

Example:   Assume standard distribution and an average MV of 1000ft/sec.   Then the velocity range for all shots would be 910-1090ft/sec, with an occasional flyer above or below this range.

Which is a pretty hefty variation, but probably other factors [trigger pull, etc.] would have more effect on POI.

Final Analysis:   The primary purpose of a handgun is personal protection.   What shows on your target will work for you.   Just fine.

sfg

Thanks SFG.  Very interesting information.  Since you listed "bullet seating depth" twice, does that mean it has twice the effect as the other items you listed?  ;)

Fly

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
CDO
CDO???

(IF it's good then I'm that too, because I LOVE math and physics.  Taught it through DiffEq at the college level for a decade. )

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
CDO???

CDO = arranged how someone with OCD would 'spell' it...
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
Fly:

Since you listed "bullet seating depth" twice, does that mean it has twice the effect as the other items you listed? )

Actually, it means that sometimes I don't do a thorough job of proofreading stuff before posting to the Forum.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »

CDO = arranged how someone with OCD would 'spell' it...

NO!!!

It is the PROPER way to arrange the letters unless you are one of those people that just like to throw letters together without any acute organization or fanatical attention to detail.   ;D

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
Fly:

Actually, it means that sometimes I don't do a thorough job of proofreading stuff before posting to the Forum.
sfg

As an air traffic controller once said to me...It happens to the best of us, and you've just proven it.

Fly