< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PRT: Handgun Technique Course, September 20-21  (Read 1446 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
PRT: Handgun Technique Course, September 20-21
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »
Precision Response Training will be holding a Handgun Technique course on September 20-21.  (Friday, Sept 20th from 6-9pm, and Saturday, Sept 21st from 8:30am to approximately 4:30pm.)

Handgun Technique is a Level II handgun skills course.

The point of the HT course is to teach people solid mechanical skills for effective gun handling with respect to stance, grip, trigger control, and sight picture, including techniques for draws and reloads for self-defense purposes while under stress.

This course is designed for people who have already gone through a Introduction to Handguns course (or NRA Basic Pistol course or equivalent), have a gun, and have practiced some basic shooting on their own--but want specific, directed instruction on effective and efficient gun-handling skills for self-defense.   People who have spent time working on their fundamentals by shooting bullseye targets at the range, but realize that practical applications require a larger skillset.

...in other words, you've gotten a gun and can handle it safely.  You can shoot paper circles on a lane, slowfire.  And now---you want to learn correct, efficient technique so that you can actually use the handgun for everything ELSE.

If you were at the NFOA meeting on August 24th, and attended the Defensive Pistol workshop, you probably have an idea of exactly what this class is all about---teaching you the essential techniques for effective gun handling.  Draws, reloads, accuracy at speed---in the format of practical, self-defense shooting. 

See the website for more details, including equipment requirements:
http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Fundamental201.html

If you've got friends who have a gun and are safe, but don't really know what to do besides slowfire on a lane---send 'em over.  :)

If you are interested, registration can be done online at:
http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Re: PRT: Handgun Technique Course, September 20-21
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »
At the NFOA meeting, in my workshop, I had people
1) draw onto a 12" plate at ten yards on the clock,
2) work on hitting multiple shots in a row at a 12" plate at 10 yards, and
3) under a little bit of stress, draw and hit a specified part of a target at 5 yards with three shots  (target section was normally about 6-8" in size)

#1 Results:  Fastest draw and hit was 1.35 seconds.  Almost everyone had times in excess of 3 seconds.  Many were in excess of 5 seconds.  Several were over 7 seconds.  (A few were over 10 seconds)
#2 Results:  in 3 relays of 8, with 3-4 repetitions per relay, we never had even 50% of the shooters get all four hits on the plate---even though this was not timed
#3 Results:  In general, over half (in many cases, over 75%) of the shooters disqualified themselves as under stress, they missed a 6-8" target at a distance of only 5 yards.  (That's only 15 feet.)

Many of these people were shooting from standard range holsters.  However, a number were shooting their usual CCW firearm from concealment---in other words, this is the performance they could manage when under only a tiny bit of stress.

So, if you were one of those people, how do you think you would perform under the stress of a lethal-force-level encounter?  Do you think that in a life-threatening situation, you would perform better?

This isn't meant to be snarky---as I said in the workshop, you MUST have a realistic appreciation of your skill level to make appropriate defensive choices. 

If you have to contort your body to reach your gun, have to juggle it a bit to fix your grip after getting it out of the holster, have to use your second hand to take the safety off, and it takes you 5 seconds to get your first shot on target, and you hit about 2 out of every four shots at five yards---you need to know that.

Then, you need to fix that.  And that's what the HT class is about.  The class is designed to teach people who to draw effectively and efficiently (which will get rid of the contortion/juggling/safety/time issues), how to perform proper trigger control at speed, and how to reload efficiently.

Want to get a better draw?  Want to get on target faster?  Want to hit the target repeatedly at speed without misses? 

Register for the HT class.  http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
Tom:

Lately in the news it seems that more and more Perps are using shotguns [including short-barreled] to earn their Daily Bread.

Just wondering here if you have ever considered including any training in your programs to help citizens deal w/the firepower disparity between 9mm and 12ga.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
Ask James McCullough....he won in HG versus SG...of course it helps to have a loaded SG.....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
...Ask James McCullough...

Have discussed his experience with him.

Had the shotgun been loaded and fired, Jim would have been cut in half.

Which is the point of my original posting, up above.   Any suggestions for a coping strategy?

[And....Bullit....you are welcome to contribute here.   Your ideas are most likely as good as anyone else's.   However, a separate post is probably appropriate, since my original post applied specifically to the content of JTH's classes.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
Tom:

Lately in the news it seems that more and more Perps are using shotguns [including short-barreled] to earn their Daily Bread.

Just wondering here if you have ever considered including any training in your programs to help citizens deal w/the firepower disparity between 9mm and 12ga.

sfg

I'm going to copy this and start a new thread with it, because the HT class mentioned in this thread is about having solid shooting skills, and this topic is more in line with my DT class...

So, NEW THREAD.  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
Still some space left in the class, if people are interested.  Simply put, want to learn effective shooting skills? 

We spend Friday evening performing dryfire practice in the classroom, working the drills to learn the techniques in the first place.  Saturday, we are at the range all day in live fire, working on improving technique.  (And apparently, the weather is supposed to be excellent by Saturday.)

As a comment about skill-building:  one individual took my Introduction to Handguns course (had never shot before), and then, the week after buying her first-ever 9mm (and holster, and extra magazines) took this HT course---at the end of which she shot well enough to pass the NE Law Enforcement Firearms Qualification course.

Can you do that?

Register here:
http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
As a comment about skill-building:  one individual took my Introduction to Handguns course (had never shot before), and then, the week after buying her first-ever 9mm (and holster, and extra magazines) took this HT course---at the end of which she shot well enough to pass the NE Law Enforcement Firearms Qualification course.

Can you do that?

Stupid question?  What exactly is the course of fire? :-[

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »
Stupid question?  What exactly is the course of fire? :-[
No, not a stupid question.  It you aren't an LEO, you might never have heard about it.

The Qualification course of fire is the one that every law enforcement officer has to pass on a yearly (twice a year?  I think just yearly, but I'm not sure) basis, plus retired LEOs have to pass it yearly to keep their federal "can carry a gun concealed anywhere" status. 

Effectively, this is the qualification course that defines "competent enough to carry a handgun in public" for LEOs.  As such, passing this qualification in a class (note:  I'm not an official LEO trainer, so passing it in my class does NOT satisfy LEO qualification requirements) and having that passing score officially noted on a course certificate is a handy thing to have in a file somewhere in case (in court sometime) you ever get asked why you thought you knew enough about guns to carry one.

NLETC:  http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/retired_handgun.html

About two years ago, I shot this just because I was curious as to how difficult it was.

Ardena shot it also:

...interestingly enough, a number of LEOs each year have difficulty passing this, and go through remedial training to qualify.  No, I don't have stats on exactly how many.  (And it would surprise me if any law enforcement department would give out that information.)   My information is based on commentary from LEOs and LEO instructors, so take that with as large of a grain of salt as you like.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
I'm looking forward to the class! I'm so looking forward to becoming an elite operator like this guy:

http://youtu.be/vLsopRLgwYg?t=37s

I've been practicing my shoulder rolls for Saturday.  :laugh:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
I'm looking forward to the class! I'm so looking forward to becoming an elite operator like this guy:

YEAH BABY!  The all important, highly coveted "Tactical Roll".  Man!  I really want to have an experienced tactical operator teach me this stuff.  Unfortunately, you won't get this high level tactical training from PRT.  Thomas tends to stay in the world of realism.  Dang it!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum