< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha's new mayor already collecting unwanted guns and ammo  (Read 1688 times)

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha Police and Fire will participate in Fireworks Amnesty Day on July 20th. This is an easy way to dispose of unused fireworks. There are two locations, Ambassador Worship Center at 103rd & Fort and Seymour Smith Park, 72nd & Harrison. The hours are 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Guns and ammunition can also be turned in. Please keep your homes and neighborhoods safe.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Omaha's new mayor already collecting unwanted guns and ammo
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:12:16 AM »
Yep saw that yesterday, too.  Already have someone on it to get some clarification.
My guess is she was touting the leftover fireworks thing, and added the gun/ ammo as an aside. (A by the way they will take the too if you want)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »
I am curious how the city of Omaha disposes of firearms?

I have a pretty good guess about how they dispose fireworks.... ;)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
They melt them down

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
This is something that OPD and the fire dept. do each year after the fourth, even before fireworks were allowed in Omaha.  I do not put any weight in the fact that it is happening now.

It feels like some folks are looking for reasons to attack a newly elected conservative Mayor, it takes time for changes, she can not change what goes on over night.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
I agree with that. I'd also note that it has been labeled an "unused fireworks collection" event and then an "oh by the way, we'll take unwanted guns too" side show. Just imagine the hell that the liberals would raise if OPD said hey we're putting on this event and a mayor who is trying to court north O to put her foot down against it... she's also up against the unions so I think it is a pick your battles situation... I have a couple old junk guns that I could turn in for cash some time and put that towards a new one :)
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
I have a couple old junk guns that I could turn in for cash some time and put that towards a new one :)

I will take that M44 anytime you are ready to get rid of it  :P

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »
This is something that OPD and the fire dept. do each year after the fourth, even before fireworks were allowed in Omaha.  I do not put any weight in the fact that it is happening now.

It feels like some folks are looking for reasons to attack a newly elected conservative Mayor, it takes time for changes, she can not change what goes on over night.

I would have to agree.  I mean heck she attended the friends of the NRA meeting earlier this year. 

On a side note it's funny reading the posts on how "bad" it is in Omaha for gun owners and how anti gun OPD is.  Other than the requirement to register handguns which I have heard (not first hand mind you) Stothert said she wanted to get rid of the registration but I have experienced nothing but professionalism and quite frankly the attitude of not giving a damn that I am carrying as long as the firearm stays where it is with OPD.  The firework and gun turn in days are nothing new. 

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Is it illegal to posses fireworks in Omaha beyond the Independence Day holiday? I am always confused by the use of the word "Amnesty" at these things.

amnesty[ am-nuh-stee ]
noun
1. a general pardon for offenses, especially political offenses, against a government, often granted before any trial or conviction.

2. an act of forgiveness for past offenses, especially to a class of persons as a whole.

3. a forgetting or overlooking of any past offense.

Source: Dictionary.com

What offense am I being pardoned for if I turn in some extra firecrackers?

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
Is it illegal to posses fireworks in Omaha beyond the Independence Day holiday? I am always confused by the use of the word "Amnesty" at these things.

It is not illegal to possess 1.4g consumer fireworks in Omaha year round. Just can't light them in city limits outside the selling period. I don't know why anyone would buy fireworks and give them away to be "disposed"  What a deal.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
Cliff, my pristine M44 as appreciated greatly since I bought it for $79 several years ago... you could still take that hi point 9mm pistol off my hands when you're ready!

Surprisingly enough I still would have a couple to turn in and make some good change as their condition and book value would be below the $100 and $200 standard buy outs.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline BryanB1972

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »
to bad they're not paying for the old fireworks! LOL! I have some old stuff laying around that I am sure is no good and just probably garbage! That and I don't live in Omaha so it would not be right of me to do anyhow!