General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Exploding targets

<< < (3/5) > >>

CitizenClark:

--- Quote from: Chris C on July 10, 2013, 05:48:05 PM ---Are you sure it's milligrams?

--- End quote ---

He gave you the statutory citation, but here is the link so you can just click through and see for yourself: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1213

GreyGeek:

--- Quote from: ProtoPatriot on July 11, 2013, 01:56:08 AM ---And what is with everyone always focusing on how dangerous something can be?
--- End quote ---

Because most people want to see tomorrow,  not sleep in a grave.

In 1970 I was the faculty sponsor of a college fraternity where I taught Physics.   The frats had gotten together to do a campus project of removing a dozen tree stumps to make the grounds more beautiful.  I watched as they tried to use shovels to dig  the dirt but were stopped by the roots.  They tried to use axes to cut the roots but the dirt dulled them too quickly to be affective.  So, I drove to Council Bluffs, to a construction firm, and with  my credit card as my only ID, I purchased 50 sticks (a box, or "brick" :) ) of dynamite which had 40% Ammonium Nitrate to moderate.   With a post  hole digger I had the boys dig a tunnel about 4 feet down next to the base of the root.  I put in 3 to 5 sticks, based on the size of stump, into each hole, packed it with mud, and reeled out the wire to about 150 feet away, where my car was with the hood up.    In 11 of the 12 stumps there was a muffled "thump" and the stump lifted up out of the ground about 5 feet and fell back to earth about 5 feet away, next to the hole.  The frat boys would take the dirt from some pickup trucks to fill the hole and haul the stump off.   

On the last stump, the biggest by far, about 3 feet in diameter, I decided that I'd make the cavity of the bottom of the hole a little bigger so that in addition to the 5 sticks of dynamite I could add a 1 lb bottle of Picric Acid that had a pre 1900 date on it, and a couple bottles of mono and di-nitro compounds that were equally unstable due to age.  They had been in the chem lab stockroom for all  that time and were,  IMO, too unstable for student assistants to handle, or for me as far as that matters.    For this stump I backed people beyond 300 feet and I sent people to the intersections 600 feet away to block traffic.    I carefully carried the bottles from the lab and gently put them into the hole, followed by 5 sticks of dynamite.   When the blast went off there was a tremendous noise and moderate shock wave, most of the shock wave going straight up.   I noticed that 2/3rds of the stump came back down, about 10 feet way.   The smaller  piece sailed through the air in a perfect parabola and landed in the street intersection 600 feet away, about 15 feet from where my watchers were standing!   It took several boys to lift it into the pickup truck.  The Picric Acid and Nito compounds added an unexpected violence to the explosion. 

I kept that lesson  in mind later when I was using dynamite taken from 5 lb  plastic tubes of 90% Nitroglycerine dynamite, and when I used Potassium Perchlorate and table sugar to split huge logs too big to fit in a power wedge.   No matter how much experience you have you can't depend on mother nature to behave the same way every time.

sidearm1:
Always treat explosives with respect.  While the danger makes the heart beat faster, one misstake and the tragic stuff happens.  Respond to a call where person playing with fireworks is injured.  Arrive on scene and find out that they took railroad fuse (the things that make a warning pop when a train runs over them before a work crew location) and put them in a pipe and tried to pack more in.  they exploded and he did not have fingers.  Don't forget the guys by Hastings that are facing explosive charges for their tannerite fun.

I am not against having fun, when I was an instructor for the University Fire Training division it was fun to make all sorts of things that would burn or pop.  (Lt. Kluge of the Penn. State Troopers - my instructor stated that you could not know how things work, if you did not see them work).  Just be careful and stay within the law.

Chris C:

--- Quote from: CitizenClark on July 11, 2013, 09:59:07 AM ---He gave you the statutory citation, but here is the link so you can just click through and see for yourself: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1213

--- End quote ---

I see that but that makes the pre packaged tannerite containers they sell at Cabelas, Scheels, ect illegal to actually use...  So I guess if it’s illegal to use why is it being sold?  Kind of like pipes are legal until you smoke weed or crack out of them then they become paraphernalia? 

ProtoPatriot:

--- Quote from: sidearm1 on July 11, 2013, 01:30:28 PM ---Always treat explosives with respect.

--- End quote ---

That should be the case for anything and everything...not just explosives or things perceived as "dangerous". I'm not saying ignore the dangers, but don't focus on them so much. With anything and everything it is the responsibility of the individual to do their due diligence and know what they are doing or voluntarily seek the information or training to become knowledgeable...but it shouldn't be mandated by law or anything.

That guy that blew his figures off... oh well, that is his problem alone, he failed to do is due diligence and know what he is doing. That should have no impact on what I do or anyone else does (besides it provides more knowledge for others, but nothing legally speaking). People goofing off and getting hurt is their problem, it should have no impact legally on anyone else, especially when they had no involvement. The same thing applies to things like: failure to prepare for the weather (i.e. Katrina and Sandy), seat belts, driving fast, gun laws, etc.

All this preventative crap just needs to stop...it is the individuals responsibility and it must stay with the individual.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version