< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Exploding targets  (Read 4984 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Exploding targets
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 12:10:29 AM »
Thanks for straightening that out ProtoPatriot.  I don't know enough about it to comment, but the statements that 130 mg was the maximum that could be possessed without an explosives license seemed incorrect.  Now that you have the answer, here is one of several videos you can find on the internet regarding making your own exploding targets inexpensively...

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
I found this on the internet.  Personally, I like the exploding water bottles with colored water.  The information list was interesting, especially the warnings.  Be Safe

Tannerite

Tannerite is non-hazardous and can be shipped without expensive hazmat fees. The catalyst mixes easily into each 1/2 pound target. A free instructional video is provided for first time users with every order which shows the legalities and requirements regarding the possession and use of this awesome product.  We can ship direct to your door and it’s legal in all states.

Tannerite is intended to detonate when shot by a high-powered, center-fire rifle. Small caliber rimfire rifle rounds, shotgun rounds, or slow moving pistol ammunition will not initiate a detonation.[2]

Tannerite is used by shooting clubs to provide explosions for their participants in large-scale weaponry demonstrations or other events. Ordinarily, firing high powered machine guns and other rifles will not produce much more than sound upon impact of the round on the target. With reactive targets, these shooting clubs can provide a movie-like experience such as exploding cars.

The manufacturer recommends using no more than 0.5-pound (0.23 kg) of the mixed composition at once, for safety reasons.

Tannerite detonations occur at a very high velocity, producing a large explosion and cloud. It may be useful for persons who are firing at long ranges; in this scenario, a long-range rifle shooter emplaces targets, retreats to his firing position, and fires. The shooter does not wish to have to walk down range to see if he has a hit—the Tannerite will detonate and serve as an indicator.

Car hood in flight after 0.5 pounds (0.23 kg) of Tannerite is detonated under the hood.
It also has uses as a general explosive that, prior to mixing, can be sold, transported, and stored in the United States without any special permits.

Tannerite is sold in pre-sized quantities for target practice, avalanche control and police use, as well as by the pound.

Tannerite consists of two components, a catalyst or sensitizer and a bulk material or oxidizer. The oxidizer is a mixture of 85% 200-mesh ammonium nitrate and 15% ammonium perchlorate, while the catalyst is a mixture of 90% 600-mesh dark flake aluminium powder, 5% 325-mesh Titanium sponge and 5% 200-mesh zirconium hydroxide.[2] Simpler mixtures of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder are also known to work, but are less sensitive and harder to reliably detonate.[citation needed]

In the United States, ATF regulations allow the two components to be legally purchased, since neither one is an explosive by itself.[3] However, the mixture is an explosive once mixed, and cannot be transported without following strict regulations including insurance, packaging, and signage on the vehicle. Various regulations also govern the storage of mixed Tannerite.

With the pre-sized quantities, the company provides non-sparking polyethylene mixing bottles. As oxidizers and combustibles, the unmixed components still have shipping restrictions.[1] The company's website does not disclose their international shipping policy.

Warning: Federal law allows a person to possess up to 50-lbs of powder , most states have lesser limits on possession amounts. Therefore it's important not to mix more powder at one time than is allowed by your state or local laws

There are no products to list in this category.

Freedom Industries LLC

Store Hours:    Tues-Fri 10am to 5pm /  Sat & Sun 10am to 3pm

Closed Mondays

Phone: (920) 785-4111

We are also associated with Little Creek Lodge Sporting Clays and Pheasant Hunting Club

Open to the public year round in Little Suamico,WI

www.littlecreeklodge.net

Store
Home
Special Offers
Account
Cart
Checkout

Information
About Us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Contact Us
Site Map

Categories
Ammunition
AR-15

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
Thanks for straightening that out ProtoPatriot.

+1 Thanks!   8)

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:09 PM »
Thanks Fly/Chris...yeah seen similar videos...but been trying to find local places to get the aluminum and the ammonium...largely because I'm trying to ditch the whole credit card crap as I am so tired of dealing with debt, so I really want to stick to cash. Also, wondering if the prices might be better.

Right now Cabelas has 2.5lb Star brand tannerite for $15 (regularly $20). So maybe an ounce of aluminum powder for the 2.5lbs of ammonium.

From online prices, I have found that I can probably make 25lbs for about $30 plus shipping....which is WAAAYY cheaper than the premade stuff (equivalent to about $150 or so for premade).

Just trying to find the ingredients locally.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...