< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Norfolk, NE  (Read 1346 times)

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
Norfolk, NE
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »
Could anyone enlighten me on hand gun laws in Norfolk? I may have to move there in the near future.

I have Nebraska CCW permit.
bigdog
bigdog

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Norfolk, NE
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:32 AM »
Norfolk City Code

Sec. 14-237. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, any per son who carries a weapon concealed on or about his person such as a revolver, pistol, firearm, bowie knife, dirk or knife with a blade attachment, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying concealed weapons.

(b) It shall be an affirmative defense that the defendant was engaged in any lawful business, calling or employment at the time he was carrying any weapon, and the circumstances in which such person was placed at the time were such as to justify a prudent person in carrying the weapon, for the defense of his person, property or family.

(c) Wherever the term "firearm" is used in this section, the term shall mean any instrument used for the propulsion of shot, shell or bullets or other harmful objects by the action of gunpowder exploded within it, or by the action of compressed air within it, or by the power of springs and including what are commonly known as air rifles and B-B guns and shall also include sling shots, wrist rockets and bows and arrows, the latter having a pull in excess of twenty (20) pounds. (Code 1962, § 6-8-2; Ord. No. 4749, § 1, 7-19-04)

State law reference--Similar provisions, R.R.S. 1943, 28-1202.
http://www.ci.norfolk.ne.us/citycode/Search/_vti_script/Index.htm0.idq

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
As you mentioned having a CHP, neither Norfolk's nor any other city's code is applicable to prohibiting you from carrying concealed. In short, you can disregard Mudinyeri's reply with regards to carrying a CONCEALED HANGUN (all other rules apply with brass knuckles, bowie knife, etc.).  Only applies to non-CHP holders now with regards to HGs

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »
Way back when CCW was being debated, the then Norfolk city manager testified in opposition to CCW, predicting death and destruction should it pass.  Another guy who thought opinion should trump actual experience. :)

Carry away, but mind the usual prohibited places.  I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if city property is prohibited there as it is in Columbus.  (Everyone knows that setting foot on city property instantly transforms even the most sober among us into stark raving mad lunatics.) 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »
As you mentioned having a CHP, neither Norfolk's nor any other city's code is applicable to prohibiting you from carrying concealed. In short, you can disregard Mudinyeri's reply with regards to carrying a CONCEALED HANGUN (all other rules apply with brass knuckles, bowie knife, etc.).  Only applies to non-CHP holders now with regards to HGs

That is what I understand Nebraska law also and then I started reading the same code that  Mudinyeri posted on a google search and things didn't add up.  I wonder if it is an old code they have not updated.

bigdog
bigdog

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »
That is what I understand Nebraska law also and then I started reading the same code that  Mudinyeri posted on a google search and things didn't add up.  I wonder if it is an old code they have not updated.

bigdog

The Norfolk ordinance predates the Nebraska Concealed Carry Act and has not been updated (in fact they refuse to) which is one of the reasons we were able to get the preemption we got for CCW holders.  Their ordinance would still apply to anyone without a permit but for those with one it no longer applies.