Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Featured Firearms

Rifle review-Marlin X7VH TAC .308

<< < (3/3)

jlmomaha:
Semper, I'm confused a little by your post, what guns are not shooting sub MOA? Some people love the sav accu trig, some hate it, I don't have a preference, when it comes to chuck hawks i take every thing he says with a grain of salt, I like a lot of what he says, but there have been some articles that left me how wondering much he was paid or what free stuff was he given..lol.. As far as cheap guns, they need to be tried and true actions, the cheapo rem,sav,etc models have not performed to my expectations, for varmint or hunting there good, but there not going to be wearing a Swarovski more likely a bushy or buck master.lol.

jonm:
Sub MOA out to 100 isnt the same as Sub MOA out to 1000 though.

jlmomaha:
So very true, seen rifles soot 1/4 out to 300yds then open up. 1000yd is very rewarding though.lol.

SemperFiGuy:
jlmomaha
jonm:

Gentlemen:   Let's take 'em in reverse order.

--- Quote ---Sub MOA out to 100 isn't the same as Sub MOA out to 1000 though.
--- End quote ---
Yes, Indeedy.   Totally agree w/that bit of wisdom. My usual sighting in is at 100 yards, 2" high on just about everything from .17Rem Remington 700BDL prairie dog rifle to my .30-06 Marlin XL7 deer/antelope/coyote rifle.   Both of them dial in groups at a bit under 1" diameter circle at 100 yards, which is M/L MOA.   Which is not incredible precision, but nevertheless, for which I am happy as a clam.

Now, truth is, I don't really know what the grouping is at longer distances, but surely it further deteriorates.   Additional variables enter over distance.   Which is why I agree w/jonm's point here.   I leave Really Long Distance Precision Shooting to others who have the time and patience to pursue such endeavors.   I'm more of a Practical Guy who simply wants to knock off prairie dogs out to 300 yards or so and deer at usually under 150 yards.   [Although I did shoot a deer offhand at an honest 485 yards once.  Amazed me and amazed the deer.]

--- Quote ---Semper, I'm confused a little by your post,
--- End quote ---
Mrs. SFG is often similarly confused by my musings.   Actually, I said a coupla things in my post.   One item was simply posting a quote from Chuck Hawks.   That one can stand on whatever merit it might or might not have.   His stuff, not mine.   FWIW and all that.

The other more important point is that--being a poor, underpaid chalk-on-the-butt engineering professor,  I like economical guns that shoot well.   Like my Remington 788s, both of which were tack drivers.   Shot cloverleafs at 100 yards.   And my XL7, which cost around $300 and shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards, which is better than a pie plate.   And good enough for deer, antelope, coyotes, and the 200-yard gong at my gun club.   I'm just way too tight dollar-wise to pay for engraving, Turkish walnut, exotic checkering, and cosmetics that don't contribute to shooting performance.

So that's about as clear as I can get, without diagramming it.  Hope it works.

Cordially,

sfg

jlmomaha:
Got ya the checkering part lost me a lil earlier.lol
Some times my mind goes straight to comp shooting when discussing rifles, so a 6" group at 300yds is fine for a hunter. If I can't get and maintain .5 MOA at 600yds (3.14") after working on it, I sell it. Lol. Also that rifle may be far more accurate with better ammo, that's mostly what my point was.lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version