Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Featured Firearms

Rifle review-Marlin X7VH TAC .308

<< < (2/3) > >>

bkoenig:
Now let's hear about how awful your Tikkas shoot.  :P

sparky0068:
 Since I wrote this review I sold this package to a friend.(I drug my feet on posting it. Oops )

Hank:

--- Quote from: NE Bull on July 25, 2013, 04:35:12 PM ---Nice write up.
How did you like the trigger? adjustable? did you play with it any?
Something that also stuck out is the great gripping/tool surface on the barrel?

--- End quote ---
I purchased a XL7 Youth Model in .243 Win. a couple years ago and yes the triggers are adjustable.
I adjusted the trigger to what I thought was `about right` but in fact it was much too light and I had to re-set it a little heavier. I have to agree they are a decent entry level rifle for the price.
I had to shim the rear of the included scope mount about .008" to keep the scope centered better.
Mounted a Burris FFII 3-9 and took a nice 5x4 buck year before last with hand load 95g Nosler/Combined Technology Silver Tip.
It is crazy the amount of money that can be wrapped up in a custom long range rig. Friends set up is something like 10k for rifle and another 5k for glass. More than I see myself ever spending, but it is impressive to watch him hit 10"x10" steel plates at 800 and 1080 yards first try, little breeze and all.
+1 on the good write up/review.

jlmomaha:
Nice looking rifle, couple of things I wanted to mention and inquire on.
I didn't see what ammo was used, I find that FGMM ammo is the best for finding the accuracy of a rifle if one is not using hand loads. I noticed from the target pic there was a bit of vertical stringing, I noticed the wind pulled it to the side as well, but for determining solely accuracy watch the vertical string. If I understand correctly that rifle was shooting approx 2moa, now the ammo used explain that, but if it is a quality ammo there are issues at the factory with tolerances on the receiver face, locking lugs and possibly more. Those problems are easily fixed with a visit to the gunsmith though. It appeared that it uses a barrel nut similar to a savage, making me interested in the TPI and diameter of the barrel shank, barrel swaps with savage bbl's may be possible?
Also for people interested in an out of the box rifle with excellent accuracy I would recommend a rem 700 sps tactical, sub 1" groups, B&C pillar stock, a little glass bedding and stiffening of the forend and it's an excellent stock. I have shot sub 1/2" using FGMM ammo, but with me a rifle doesn't stay stock for very long.lol.
I actually posted how to make a budget rifle on my blog, feel free to check it out and comment.
http://midwestguntech.blogspot.com

SemperFiGuy:
Let's mention the Marlin XL7's Wunnerful Pro-Fire Trigger, since nobody has done so, thus far;

In the words of Chuck Hawks http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifle_triggers.htm

--- Quote ---Marlin Pro-Fire Trigger
The Pro-Fire Trigger is a rather simple, two lever mechanism (trigger and sear) supplied in the recently introduced Model XL7 centerfire hunting rifle. This trigger uses an AccuTrigger like safety blade and is claimed to be user adjustable down to 2.5 pounds, just like the standard AccuTrigger. If emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, Savage should be flattered by the Marlin Pro-Fire, although internally the Pro-Fire is quite different from the AccuTrigger. The Pro-Fire was developed entirely by Marlin engineers and technicians. Trigger pull weight adjustment, after the stock is removed, is accomplished by loosening a lock nut and turning a set screw at the front of the trigger housing.
--- End quote ---

Always made sense to me to get the most accuracy for the least money.   [Think Remington 788, Marlin XL7, etc.]    Can't shoot engraving, checkering, walnut, or even certain names (Weatherby, Kimber) in less than MOA.

Luv my Marlin XL7 in .30-06.   Every nickel saved on the rifle can go into the scope.

sfg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version