< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Fight Like a Girl  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Fight Like a Girl
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
Excellent article, thanks for posting it.

Key points that stood out for me;

The problem with being aware and marginally prepared is that a lot of people don't how much they don't know. They will take a self defense class, carry a defensive tool and believe themselves prepared. While they are better prepared than someone who has neither of those things there may be things lacking from their training. Most people will never need the defensive training they take and many are okay with that. Taking additional training becomes a balance between risk, reward, finances and time. But in the time of need the training they are lacking can become evident.

- I don't care how many times you've practiced grabbing that little canister of spray out of your purse while you are comfortably standing in your living room or how many times you practiced getting that gun out of your bag or racking a round into an empty chamber.When you're rolling around with a knife buried in your belly the situation changes quite a bit. The ability to use your self defense tool will directly relate to how accessible it is (i.e. on your body in an accessible location) and its state of readiness (loaded and ready to fire). If you cannot, for whatever reason (attire, personal preference, vocation, local legalities) have a weapon accessible and ready than you must accept the fact that you may not be able to use it and must plan accordingly.

- Many people use the excuse of "well, I carry a gun (knife, pepper spray, taser, etc) everywhere I go" as an excuse as to why they will not take hand-to-hand training or train with other defensive systems. There may very well be a time when that tool is not available. Angela had some hand-to-hand training. She used what she had and it may have saved her life. If you carry a self defense tool, have it accessible and have it ready to use but also be prepared for the possibility that that tool may not be available, or functioning.

- Many people who are interested in self defense do not carry medical supplies. They operate under the assumption that in the unlikely event they will get attacked they will not only survive but if they suffer injuries the injuries will not be sufficient to kill them. Most people who run scenarios through their heads never postulate that they may be injured and if presented with a scenario that begins with an injury they often have no response or admit not having a good option. If your interests really are in saving your own life, learn how to save a life. Get medical training and carry the equipment with you. You may not be able to treat everything but what you may be able to treat may save your life or the life of someone you love.

- I didn't have to ask Angela about her fitness level. She brought it up all on her own. She told me she was a runner and took her fitness seriously. She told me that she strongly believes her level of fitness helped her fight, survive and recover from her injury. Take your fitness seriously. Stop making excuses. If you have a previous injury or ailment, acknowledge it but do what you can to improve the fighting condition of your body. Get out there and strength train, endurance train, it may very well be the difference between life and death.

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
My younger sister lives in a higher crime area in Lincoln and I've pressed her for awhile now to at least get some level of protection or training. Hopefully she will take head to this article when I send it to her. Thanks!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
My younger sister lives in a higher crime area in Lincoln

When a police team made an armed raid on the house a couple doors down from ours my wife and I decided it was time to sell  and move.   

We realized trouble was coming.  Blood & Crips gang signs, and other graffiti began appearing.   Strangers walking down the street late at night hooded up, looking around as if they were lost.  A little 3 or 4 three year old girl clad only in pajamas walking past the house on a January night.  On that one we called the police and another neighbor beat us to the little girl and gave her safe harbor.  The parents were drunk, the kid was thirsty and hungry and went looking for food.  A single mom moved into a rented place and not long after that her adult sons moved in as well.  They were unemployed but seemed to have plenty of money for booze and weeds.  They'd sit on  the porch drinking and smoking in the afternoon and came in late at night or early in the morning.  That was the house that got raided.

My wife and I both noticed the difference traveling south.  Crossing Highway 2 is like traveling from Juarez into El Paso.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »
My younger sister lives in a higher crime area in Lincoln

Lincoln???  Are you kidding me?  Lincoln is a "great place to raise a family"......thus why I live out of town.....  good article.....

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:22:08 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
I live close to Sheridan Avenue and the difference between the north side of South Street and the south side is like night and day.  We're kind of in a little pocket of nice houses and low crime, but go a couple blocks north and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street after dark.

Lincoln isn't bad compared to some other places, but it's still big enough that it has a large population of human scum who think it's their right to prey on other people.  I just got back from San Francisco and it really made me appreciate Lincoln.  What a horrible, dirty place.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
I live close to Sheridan Avenue and the difference between the north side of South Street and the south side is like night and day.  We're kind of in a little pocket of nice houses and low crime, but go a couple blocks north and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street after dark.

Lincoln isn't bad compared to some other places, but it's still big enough that it has a large population of human scum who think it's their right to prey on other people.  I just got back from San Francisco and it really made me appreciate Lincoln.  What a horrible, dirty place.

lol... couple of block north?  isn't that Prescott Elementary?  my wife works there.

and San Fran?  i have cousins that live there, but they are doctors.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official