< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Searching for a belt for IWB  (Read 4653 times)

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Searching for a belt for IWB
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
I've tried scanning through old topics to see if there were some good suggestions for belts to use with IWB holsters and only found a couple of tidbits. I was looking at midwestleatherworks.com and they only have a couple of pictures of their belts but no other information. Also, the links to "Order" and "In Stock" were both broken.

I found a thread from a while ago that mentioned Wilderness Instructor Belts at http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/original-instructor-belt/

I thought that I had a fairly rigid belt, but it has very poor vertical rigidity so it makes drawing from the IWB holster horrible. I also don't feel too keen on buying a $60-$75 belt if I don't have to.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Links to decent belts? Thanks!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Searching for a belt for IWB
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
Here's My Handgun Belt Story, FWIW:

Bought a 2" [nominal] handgun belt at a Local Indoor Shooting Range for $70.

Then found pretty much same belt at Canfields for $30.   Took first belt back to LSIR, got refund.  Bought belt at Canfields.

Then went to Tractor Supply Company and found pretty much same belt for $10.   Guess Wot!!   Took Belt #2 back to Canfields, got refund.   Bought $10 belt from TSC.    That was four years ago.   Still wearing Belt #3.   Added holes up and down for usual 20 plus/minus pounds weight fluctuation every few months.

Wearing Belt #3 with an Old Timey big brass NE G&P Hunter Ed buckle that somebody kindly gave to me.   Belt #3 isn't as rigid as I'd like, but it works well enough for me and my Little Compact Carry Hanguns.

In the meantime, I've seen similar belts at Kohls and other discount clothing stores for $10-12buck$.   They are a bit flimsier than the TSC belt.  TSC doesn't sell flimsy stuff.   Farmers/ranchers wouldn't stand for it.   TSC'd lose their customer base.

That's more Belt Story than you probably wanted, but the moral here is that it pays to shop around.   We must be Incredibly Tight-Fisted on our shooting accessories, getting absolutely the most value for the least buck$, so that we have extra cash to spend on the basic essentials.   Like firearms.

sfg
BTW--the last belt is Black.   I've tried to tell people that I'm a 3rd Edition Black Belt, but it doen't work.
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
Ive had a black Wilderness 5 stitch Instructor belt for nearly 6 years now and have been very happy with it. Since its Velcro it is more adjustable than a typical leather belt (I always seem to need a hole between the holes..) and it provides all the support I need to carry a full size gun IWB or OWB. It was also half the cost of the Galco leather belt that I replaced. This year I purchased another in tan just to be more fashionable  :D

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:56 PM »
That's exactly the type of belt story that I'm looking for. Out of penny pinching necessity I generally stay away from anything with the word "Tactical" attached to it because I feel like I'm getting hosed by the seller charging 25-700% more. I'd rather have a $20 belt and have it do the job holstering my compact IWB and spend the other $80 on ammo for practice. Links are encouraged but not required. I've done tons of research but at the end of the day what I thought was a rigid enough belt just went all floppy on me... maybe the holster needs broken in more to ease the retention but I'd rather my pistol stay put unless called upon. I do have a White Hat Holster in the mail and am getting excited for that sucker!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »
sjwsti,

Your post about 3 years ago is where I got that link to Wilderness belts. At first I didn't see the Velcro and I was almost ready to buy and then saw the Velcro section and have had some doubts. I'm pretty sure my wife would make fun of me for having a Velcro belt and would probably suggest I get Velcro shoes to go with it... she can be snarky like that, but that's a good thing. She'd kill me if I spent $70 on a "tactical" belt, granted the Instructor Belts are $45 for the 5 stitch and seem to last a long time.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
I'm all for saving cash, if the TSC belt will work for you, it seems like a no brainer.

The Wilderness belt has a loop through buckle that holds the belt secure, the Velcro is just there to hold the extra length down. I`ll have to make sure, if we ever run into each other, my shirt is untucked so your wife doesn't give me a hard time.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
I've been using this Uncle Mikes nylon belt w/polymer insert for about 3 years now.  It's pretty stiff, and has plenty of support around my skinny waist for an Officer's 1911, either IWB or OWB.  Not as expensive as some, and not as cheap as others, so shop around.  This one has given me good service for the money, and it's still a long ways from being worn out.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Law-Enforcement-Tactical/dp/B001TOJS2W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1375472442&sr=8-9&keywords=uncle+mikes+instructor+belt

FWIW.

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 03:18:05 PM »
I tried an "Amish belt" from hanks clothing online for a couple of years, now have worn this for about a year and will never go back

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum9563.php
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
If you're open to a web style belt, I have a Cabela's size medium Last Chance Heavy-Duty belt that I'd sell for $10.  I wore it for about a month but it was just too big for me.  It's a great belt (with a little bit of velcro) but it just wasn't small enough for my waist.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »
+3 on the Wilderness 5 stitch.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline 2550sx

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
check these belts out
http://zachsgunbelts.com/belts.html 

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
If you're open to a web style belt, I have a Cabela's size medium Last Chance Heavy-Duty belt that I'd sell for $10.  I wore it for about a month but it was just too big for me.  It's a great belt (with a little bit of velcro) but it just wasn't small enough for my waist.

Mudinyeri, I might have to take you up on that! Let me check sizing and I'll get back to ya. And what's with all this skinny talk? I thought us gun owners are supposed to be beer belly laden rednecks toting guns around and clinging to our bibles...

Thanks for all the links guys! Looks like I've got some decision making to do.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Check your local Menard's also...  They have a fair assortment of plain and fancy leather belts for dress and work that are substantial and less that $20.00.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
The 5 stitch Instructor belt is nice, I would go 4 sizes up from your waist size. As noted above, it's big advantage  is how adjustable it is.

I also use a Carhartt leather belt that I picked up somewhere, looks much less ridiculous, thick leather, but I did have to add few holes to accommodate what I am wearing.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:44:26 PM by camus »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
i have the Cabela's last chance belt.  i don't really carry IWB much, but it holds my pants up while i CC with my pocket pistol (and other EDC stuff).  i have a really expensive belt, but i only use it for hunting.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »
Mudinyeri, I might have to take you up on that! Let me check sizing and I'll get back to ya. And what's with all this skinny talk? I thought us gun owners are supposed to be beer belly laden rednecks toting guns around and clinging to our bibles...

Thanks for all the links guys! Looks like I've got some decision making to do.

I "accidentally" lost about 25 lbs in the space of about 9 months.  :D

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »
Well I picked up a nice thick and sturdy work belt from TSC today and it actually looks quite casual, it could even be worn with a set of dockers or khaki pants. I also got my new holster from White Hat Holsters and even on the flimsy belt that I had it was a drastic improvement! I carried with cargo shorts and a T-shirt and my wife didn't even know until I told her when we got back home.

Mudinyeri, I think that belt should work for me. Is it black or tan? I could meet you in Omaha some time or I'll be at the annual meeting in a few weeks.

Thanks Husker XDM for that link. If my TSC belt wears out before too long I'll step up the purchase to the poly insert leather belt.

Hopefully this thread can guide some others in the future too.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
Mudinyeri, I think that belt should work for me. Is it black or tan? I could meet you in Omaha some time or I'll be at the annual meeting in a few weeks.

It's black.  I can bring it to the Members' Meeting if you want a black belt.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
Yeah, I'll take it. Hard to say no to a $10 belt that should do the job, in black. Thanks!