< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFOA Annual Member Meeting  (Read 9514 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
NFOA Annual Member Meeting
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »
FYI, I just noticed that the other thread was in the "members only" section. I started this one to clean it up with all the info in one place where it could reach a larger audience.

The 2013 NFOA Annual Meeting is coming up quickly!  This year is going to be bigger and better than ever!! We have a keynote speaker that you do not want to miss, and several free workshops that will be going on during the day - including a live fire sessions for adults and kids!!

What: NFOA 2013 Annual Meeting
Where: Heartland Public Shooting Park
(6788 W Husker Highway, Grand Island, NE 68801)
When: Saturday August 24th, 2013 8:30am-4:00pm
(BBQ lunch catered by Dickey’s)

You need to pre-purchase your lunch tickets online so we can order the correct amount of food; lunch tickets will not be available for purchase at the meeting Saturday morning. Please help us get a better headcount on by committing to the meeting as soon as you can and getting your lunch tickets online.

Remember, all workshops  are provided at no cost to you as the instructors/presenters are donating their time. We're looking forward to seeing you in Grand Island in a few weeks!!

The NFOA Annual Member Meeting will be hosted by Heartland Public Shooting Park in Grand Island, NE on Saturday August 24th, 2013.  The general schedule for the day is:

8:30-9:00 Registration and Check-In
9:00-9:30 Welcome and Safety Briefing
9:30-12:30 Workshops ( see descriptions below )
12:30-1:00 Lunch
1:00-1:30 Keynote Speaker: Senator Charlie Janssen who sponsored LB451
1:30-3:00 General NFOA Meeting Business
3:00-4:00 Open Shooting
4:00 Wrap Up

Lunch will be catered by Dickey's BBQ and includes 1/4 pound BBQ sandwich, chips, side, cookie, and a drink. Lunch tickets are $10 and must be purchased in advance. Think you'll be really hungry after all the workshops?  Then buy two lunches; that's what I did.  Lunch will be at the shelter near the pistol bays and if you have special dietary needs or restrictions, please feel free to bring your own lunch, as we'll be eating together and continuing the meeting with speakers and NFOA business during lunchtime.

Don't miss this great opportunity!!

Take a look at the great workshops that the NFOA is sponsoring at this year's annual meeting below.

All at no charge to you!!

Youth Firearm Safety and Oreo Busting Sniper Shoot
by Jeremy Cady

Firearm safety and what to do when encountering a firearm should be taught to all young men and young ladies. This youth workshop will review firearm safety rules, teach some basic marksmanship skills, and then provide attendees an opportunity to put their firearm safety and marksmanship to work in a sniper challenge - with prizes!

Required equipment: Eye protection, ear protection, teachable attitude, and a parent/guardian for youths under the age of 16. You are welcome to bring your cased .22LR rifles to shoot during the sniper challenge, but scoped .22LR rifles will be available for the shooting portion if you don't bring one for your youth. Please bring .22LR ammo to use if you have it, if you do not have and can't find any .22LR ammo, donated ammo will be available for use.

If you have some spare .22LR ammo, please contact j.cady.nfoa@gmail.com. Unused donated ammo will be donated to the local Boy Scouts of America council for their youth shooting program.

Carbine/Rifle Skillbuilder
by John Wallace of Midwest Tactical Solutions

This one hour workshop will be a mini-skillbuilder to improve your knowledge and skills with an AR-15, AK-47, or similar carbine/rifle. We will run some drills that focus on certain skills and tasks. We will discuss some techniques, do a few warm-ups, and then have a competitive test with a prize at the end. This will be a great chance to improve your skills and learn a few things.

Required equipment: Participation in the shooting portion of the workshop requires you to bring a cased carbine/rifle with zeroed sights, a sling, at least one magazine, and 100 rounds of ammo. If you don't have an appropriate rifle, you can still attend the workshop for the instruction. Eye protection, ear protection, safe behavior, and a good attitude are required for everyone.
For questions or comments, please contact  www.mwts-training.com

The Better You Prepare, The Luckier You Are
by Toby Asplin of Handyman Joes,
Nebraska’s Authorized Tactical Walls Dealer

Do you have a bug out bag in your closet? How about a get home bag in your vehicle? Then feel free to bring it with you to this 50 minute breakout session/roundtable where we will discuss bags, gear, tools, brands, tricks, and ideas that will help keep you alive. Even if you don’t have a bag or bring it with you, drop on by if you’re interested in participating in the discussion.

Silencers Are Legal
by Brian Koenig, Dick Clark, and Rod Moeller of Moeller Arms

Technically, they're called suppressors and you'll learn the lingo and terminology In this 50 minute breakout session. The legalities and purchase process on an ATF Form 4 will be explained for suppressors, short barreled rifles (SBRs), and machine guns. Also, the advantages and disadvantages of using a trust, an LLC, or an individual ownership will be explored. And finally, the process of using an ATF Form 1 to legally manufacture your own suppressors and SBRs will be shared.

Legal Aspects of Using Lethal Force
by Chris Zeeb of Nebraska Concealed Carry

This 50 minute workshop is an abridged version of the annual class taught by Chris Zeeb reviewing Nebraska's self defense laws, actual Nebraska self defense cases, interacting with law enforcement, and dealing with the Legal ramifications of a self defense shooting.

Savage Arms Range Day

Savage Arms is coming to Heartland Public Shooting Park August 24th.  Savage will be at the range during the morning workshop sessions and NFOA Members will be able to shoot Savage rifles free of charge including ammo! Come and see why Savage Arms is the definition of accuracy. Test out some of their newest models, including the Model 11 Lady Hunter and the Model 25 Lightweight Varminter in 17 Hornet. Children are welcome to shoot the Model 11 Youth Trophy Hunter and the Rascal.

Defensive Shooting:  Tactics, Skills, and Principles
by Thomas Howard of Precision Response Training

This one-hour workshop will be a discussion and practice course to improve your knowledge and technique with respect to common defensive skills with the pistol.  We’ll have some discussion about the role of the pistol in self-defense, its strengths, and its limitations—and work some drills to rate and improve your skills, including some CCW-specific techniques.  Part of this workshop will be spent discussing the difference between tactics, techniques, and principles.

Required equipment: Participation in the shooting portion of the workshop will require a firearm and holster combination with at least one magazine (two would be even better, particularly if you have a low-capacity firearm) and approximately 100 rounds of ammunition.  (How much we’ll use will be based on how many people are attending.)  People are welcome to attend the workshop in non-shooting mode to be a part of the discussion regarding tactics, principles, and self-defense.  Eye protection, ear protection, and safe behavior are required for all.  People who CCW are particularly invited to use their normal, everyday CCW rig.

LASR 3-Gun Challenge
by Jason Williams of Centrolutions

This dry fire competition is open to all attendees. Each competitor will be given a course of fire that must be completed using a combination of pistols, carbines, and shotguns. Dry fire laser training devices will be used along with the Laser Activated Shot Reporter (LASR) system, so times and shot placement can be recorded. This will be a great chance to compete against your friends and practice your marksmanship fundamentals at absolutely no cost.

First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded at the end of the day. All required equipment and supplies are provided; just bring your trigger finger!

Camping Info:

RV spots are $25 per night with water and 50 amp service.  Tent camping is $5 per tent.
Call the office Wednesday - Friday 6PM-9PM to make reservations.  HPSP office: 308-385-5048.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:49:46 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: NFOA Annual Member Meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
Will Heartland Shooting Park be charging admission?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:38:50 AM »
Will Heartland Shooting Park be charging admission?

No.  They were kind enough to let us use the facilities without charging us.  They have been great to work with.  Very supportive and responsive.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
Slight tweaking of the schedule (changes also made above)

8:30-9:00 Registration and Check-In
9:00-9:30 Welcome and Safety Briefing
9:30-12:30 Workshops ( see descriptions below )
12:30-1:00 Lunch
1:00-1:30 Keynote Speaker: Senator Charlie Janssen who sponsored LB451
1:30-3:00 General NFOA Meeting Business
3:00-4:00 Open Shooting
4:00 Wrap Up
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:45:01 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
New events added to the schedule:

Legal Aspects of Using Lethal Force
by Chris Zeeb of Nebraska Concealed Carry

This 50 minute workshop is an abridged version of the annual class taught by Chris Zeeb reviewing Nebraska's self defense laws, actual Nebraska self defense cases, interacting with law enforcement, and dealing with the Legal ramifications of a self defense shooting.

Savage Arms Range Day

Savage Arms is coming to Heartland Public Shooting Park August 24th.  Savage will be at the range during the morning workshop sessions and NFOA Members will be able to shoot Savage rifles free of charge including ammo! Come and see why Savage Arms is the definition of accuracy. Test out some of their newest models, including the Model 11 Lady Hunter and the Model 25 Lightweight Varminter in 17 Hornet. Children are welcome to shoot the Model 11 Youth Trophy Hunter and the Rascal.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »
If you don't have your ticket(s) yet ... you ain't right!  :D

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
I just got the weekend cleared off so I can go. Looking forward to it.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Camping Info added above:

Camping Info:

RV spots are $25 per night with water and 50 amp service.  Tent camping is $5 per tent.
Call the office Wednesday - Friday 6PM-9PM to make reservations.  HPSP office: 308-385-5048.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
New session added:

Defensive Shooting:  Tactics, Skills, and Principles
by Thomas Howard of Precision Response Training

This one-hour workshop will be a discussion and practice course to improve your knowledge and technique with respect to common defensive skills with the pistol.  We’ll have some discussion about the role of the pistol in self-defense, its strengths, and its limitations—and work some drills to rate and improve your skills, including some CCW-specific techniques.  Part of this workshop will be spent discussing the difference between tactics, techniques, and principles.

Required equipment: Participation in the shooting portion of the workshop will require a firearm and holster combination with at least one magazine (two would be even better, particularly if you have a low-capacity firearm) and approximately 100 rounds of ammunition.  (How much we’ll use will be based on how many people are attending.)  People are welcome to attend the workshop in non-shooting mode to be a part of the discussion regarding tactics, principles, and self-defense.  Eye protection, ear protection, and safe behavior are required for all.  People who CCW are particularly invited to use their normal, everyday CCW rig.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »
Nice.  Any word on how the numbers are looking?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
I'm planning to camp Friday night (for sure and maybe Saturday too) in my pickup camper.  I'll put in a small gas grill.  We can cook up some brats, burgers and beans and sit by the campfire and tell stories if anyone else is interested in camping.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
I'm planning to camp Friday night (for sure and maybe Saturday too) in my pickup camper.  I'll put in a small gas grill.  We can cook up some brats, burgers and beans and sit by the campfire and tell stories if anyone else is interested in camping.

I may be, I'll talk to the events director and see what she says.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
Is anyone from Lincoln or traveling through Lincoln planning to go for the full day?

I would love to catch a ride and pitch in on gas so I can leave the family grocery getter at home with my very pregnant wife.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
Looking at tenting it ourselves. Makes Saturday morning less hectic and we had planned on hitting the fair Sunday.
I'm not sure of any fire pits. If there is I will whip something up in the dutch ovens.
Clark, I wasn't planning on spending the weekend out there with the kiddos, I'd sure give ya ride.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
I'm going from Lincoln, but already have pickup full of people, targetry, weapons, and the kitchen sink.

Anyone help out Clark?

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
I'm planning on leaving Lincoln around 7:00 on Saturday morning, 8/24.  I'd like to be back in Lincoln by 5:00 or so.  Citizen Clark is welcome to ride with me if he'd like.  Citizen Clark.....PM me if you're interested.   

Beside me, I can handle 3 others comfortably, or 4 others, if everyone isn't Hulk Hogan size.  I'll have plenty of room for cased firearms or other stuff in the back.  Gas sharing would be welcome too.  Anyone else interested can PM me through the forum, and if I get filled up, I'll post back here.

Ghost   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:57:34 PM by Ghost of the Past »
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
Ghost- You're A-OK in book.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
Nice.  Any word on how the numbers are looking?

According to the piryx page, it looks like twenty-one people have purchased lunch tickets so far: http://giving.piryx.com/streams/Nebraska-Firearms-Owners-Association/2013-NFOA-Members-Meeting/TlWMl9HL/2013Meeting#c160305

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
39 at current count.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
Just saw the latest events list with Thomas Howard added.  I had the pleasure of being squadded with him at Pandemic 2012 and can attest to his abilities.  Fantastic shooter.
NRA Life Member.