< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFOA Annual Member Meeting  (Read 9519 times)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: NFOA Annual Member Meeting
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
Hello, what are folks bringing for the open shooting?
Is this range mostly for handguns?
I was thinking of bringing a Ruger 223 Varmit rifle I have owned for a long time but have never sighted in, but 1 hour may not be practical for this.
Thoughts, comments.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »
As I understand we have use of most ranges. The long range will be on the south side.  If you are bore sighted, it shouldn't take long to get on target.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:59:28 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »
Great, it was bore sighted, I originally bought it for Prarie Dogs but the trip fell thru and 15 years later it is still in the case.
I have never done this as most of my guns are handguns and shotguns.
How many rounds should I bring, what is a good distance to zero the gun to for PD shooting?
I will probably ask a more experienced rifle member for some assistance with this. any volunteers?

Thanks Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »
I may have to leave a little early but if I'm available I can give you a hand.   200 yards would probably be a good zero for prairie poodles.

I would like to bring some steel rifle targets.  Does anyone know if that's ok?

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Today is the last day to purchase lunch tickets for the Members Meeting this Saturday. We need to provide a final count to Dickey's tomorrow morning. If you have been putting off purchasing your lunch tickets be sure to get them today.

Click here to purchase lunch tickets!!
https://secure.piryx.com/donate/TlWMl9HL/NFOA/2013meeting

Offline VRMN8R

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
Got my ticket purchased tonight.
Hope to see a lot of people at MY first meeting.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:46:58 PM by VRMN8R »

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
I may have to leave a little early but if I'm available I can give you a hand.   200 yards would probably be a good zero for prairie poodles.

I would like to bring some steel rifle targets.  Does anyone know if that's ok?

Probably.  I know they shoot steel targets for 3-gun, handgun, cowboy, and .22 events.  Bill Starkey, the range superintendent is the one to ask: bstarkey@grand-island.com.
NRA Life Member.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Another new event!! NFOA Annual Member Meeting
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
Another new event added:

LASR 3-Gun Challenge
by Jason Williams of Centrolutions

This dry fire competition is open to all attendees. Each competitor will be given a course of fire that must be completed using a combination of pistols, carbines, and shotguns. Dry fire laser training devices will be used along with the Laser Activated Shot Reporter (LASR) system, so times and shot placement can be recorded. This will be a great chance to compete against your friends and practice your marksmanship fundamentals at absolutely no cost.

First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded at the end of the day. All required equipment and supplies are provided; just bring your trigger finger!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Just wanted to also mention that since I'm going to have some steel targets pulled out for use during my workshop, in the afternoon (during the open shooting section) I'll be setting up a basic Steel Challenge stage, and people can come and shoot a short version of it for bragging rights.

I'll probably set up a version of Roundabout, and instead of 5 runs we'll just do three strings.  We'll still throw out the worst run though, and your "score" will be the sum of your best two runs.

We'll keep track of the top three shooters (and runs) on a whiteboard, just in case some people feel like being competitive.   ;D

The divisions we'll use are:
  • Centerfire:  Open, or Irons
  • Rimfire Pistol:  Open or Irons
  • Rimfire Rifle:  Open or Irons

(If you have an optic on your gun, you are in Open.  If you have a comp on your centerfire pistol, you are in Open.  Otherwise:  Irons.)

Any rimfire pistol or rifle starts pointed at a flag downrange.  Centerfire pistols are supposed to be started holstered, but in case some people don't have a holster, we'll have a separate division for centerfire folks beginning with a table start.

If that is as clear as mud, just remember to bring 50 rounds or so per gun type you want to try (you'll only need 15 per gun if you are perfect) and I'll put you in the correct division with a start position that you can do safely.

Make sure to give it a try---Steel Challenge is a ton of fun.  (And a blast with a .22-conversion-AR with a red dot!)  Feel free to bring a gun to try it in all divisions!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Bill usually has a bay set up for a 22. challenge but I havent been there yet this season, so not sure if its still up. Lots of good 22 knockdowns.

My wife and I will be there and looking forward to meeting you all. We will have some holsters set up under a tent as well, should one be needed.

RipT
SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Extra Lunch Ticket : NFOA Members Meeting
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
Due to issues I am not to divulge ;) my daughter will not be attending this year's meeting.

Anyone wanting to go, but did not get your Lunch ticket bought contact me Jeremy. I will charge face value. ;)

PM me here, I will check again when I get to GI.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline TracyW

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »
Had a great time
Thanks to everyone for everything!!!

And thanks to heartland Shooting Park for the hospitality.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
Had a great time
Thanks to everyone for everything!!!

And thanks to heartland Shooting Park for the hospitality.

Agreed, on all counts. Today's event was AWESOME. Great workshops (except I heard that lawyer talking about the NFA was a little long-winded), great shooting opportunities, and great fellowship time for our organization. Kudos to everyone who helped shape this event into the success that it turned out to be!

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
A Big Thank You to all who worked to put together an awesome day.
I got to meet some new folks, had some humbling shooting time with Steel Challenge.
Got to shoot my first 308, and a sweet little 17hmr, thanks to Savage and Hornady.
Every thing I did was interesting and enjoyable, we should all be proud of our Orginization.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
I wish to thank the folks who donated their time and energy to teach some classes as well as the Heartland Shooting Park for their efforts on our behalf.  I am told they literally begged us to put the event there!

Kudos!!!

Also, I am tickled this old goat managed to push the young bucks with their young eyes and bodies.  I managed to place in the Carbine test. (3rd place) Let that be a lesson to you!  Don't mess with us geezers!  :)

All in all, a great experience. 

FYI, "Lorimor" isn't a girl's name.  It isn't "Lori-more."  It's pronounced "Loramore."  A fine Irish name.  My paternal grandmother's maiden name.  She was a hell of a shot.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a big helping of that gene pool. :)

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
THANK YOU to everyone who came out and those who volunteered so much time to organize this event and make it a success.

Offline zebra

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Thank you to everyone that came out and everyone that donated their time to this event. I had a ton of fun and enjoyed seeing everyone out there. :)

Lorimor did really well at our little seminar as well (Pistol w/ Precision Response Training). More practice for everyone (me too)! And we didn't even have to shoot him with an airsoft to make it happen..... ;)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
Rats that I missed the fun and meeting NFOA Folks at the NFOA event today..   Was holding a CHP class at Papillion Gun Club all day.

It was a Pretty Good Day:   Only one shooter loaded the cartridges backwards in her semi-auto magazines on the firing line.   EZ to put in; kinda tuff to dig out.

And only one thumb got slide-sliced.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
Looked like people were having a ton of fun shooting and learning!

Here are the scores from the Steel Challenge fun stage we set up today.  We had 29 stage runs total, with people using all sorts of guns from production Glocks to ported 1911s, from .22 pistols to AR-15 .22 conversions with red dots.  19 people shot 26 guns---it was a good time.  :)

(Ardena told me that I had to leave my scores in the rankings.)

Hope everyone had a good time---and the next full Steel Challenge match at ENGC is on October 20th, so you should all come out and give it a try.  Even MORE fun!

It was good to meet everyone.  (Though next time, everyone needs to ALSO put their forum id on their name tags also!)  :)

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
Lorimore, I was the fella just ahead of you in the red shirt that you edged out for 3rd. Way to go!

Thanks Wallace11bravo for your instructions and your extra attention to detail with helping in other areas of shooting that are more fundamental to consistent shooting.

Thanks jthhapkido for the Steel challenge and for your excellent instruction. Also thanks for introducing me to speed shooting and highlighting skills to work on.

Thanks to the directors and volunteers for how much time you put into this event! It was a ton of fun and I look forward to getting to know you guys more.

And finally, Chris Z for suggesting that I join this group at your concealed carry class in June. I didn't get a chance to talk to you today but thanks. I decided last month to become a monthly donor too!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.